Pre-order of K10D

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought pple had problems getting Pentax lenses in SG...

But are they expensive?

Not really. its just that unlike the other makes where you can find in many shops, only a select few shops carry Pentax lenses and since you know where they are (from this forum), there's really no issue.

As for prices, what good lenses are not expensive? ;)

At least you're not overpaying like C lenses. My C-owner friend tells me C stuff in Singapre sells up to 20% more expensive than compared with other countries, likely due to monopoly...

People around me are questioning my first dSLR when i told them it will be Pentax. A couple of them urged me to think of lense before the body. It sounds quite true. How do you guys see the point?

Well, many had asked me the first question when they ask what brand of DSLR you use.. and they will look at you differently when you mentioned Pentax..

As for the Lense, i think fengwei has got the best experience in them.. i think he have tried a number of them.. so he has the say.. as for the price, yes i think Pentax lense are more affordable, and much better..

Lastly, yes, I think the K10D will draw some attention to those who have got no DSLRs, and will also attract some of the N/C/O users.. its very tempting to just go get one when available... even though i am very happy with the Ds...

But a friend told me to invest in lenses from N or C in the long term. Body will be forever in the cycling mode. Thats whats worried me. I sure do hope that pentax has a good arsenal for their lenses.

When you consider the total investment of your whole system, say, at least a body, 3+ lens. I think Pentax is definitely a better choice.
Just imagine, if you go for N, C, you have to pay almost double price for a lens with "VR", or "IS". But you will always have a "SR" built in your camera body if you choose Pentax (K100D or K10D).
Obviously, N, C will not add VR or IS to their body:thumbsd: , othervise, who will be stupid enough to buy their VR, IS lens? :confused:
I think the existing Pentax lens are enough for use. Plus, you can easily got very good old lens from ebay.
That is another interest thing, optically those old lens are even better than most of today's lens. Especially for the prime lens, like 28, 35, 50, 100, 105, 135, and so on.:bsmilie:
For me, there is another reason: "Be Different!":sweatsm:

I always thought pple had problems getting Pentax lenses in SG...

But are they expensive?

Some prices from B&H (all in USD):

Canon 14/2.8: $1,799.95
Pentax 14/2.8: $624.95 ($524.95 after rebate)

Canon 17-40/4: $679.95
Pentax 16-45/4: $409.95 ($309.95 after rebate)

Canon 35/1.4: $1,134.95
Pentax 35/2: $299.95
Pentax 31/1.8: $879.95 ($779.95 after rebate)

You can buy a Pentax dSLR body plus the DA14 for less than the price for a Canon 14/2.8 :D

Of course some Canon lenses are cheaper than Pentax equivelent. But Pentax put in as much effort when making cheap lenses as the pro ones, so even a cheaper Pentax lens performs quite well (mostly). But for Canon, it's totally different. The Canon kit lens for example is just a plastic junk imo (just like the Sony one ...).

Just my 2 cents.

I haven't seen the Samsung equivalent to the Pentax DS, DS2, DL, DL2 and K100D in Singapore.

Are you sure the Samsung GX10 will be available here???

I spoke to a Alan Photo sales lady and she said that Samsung DSLRs are not brought into Singapore. Hmmm.... :confused:

Between Samsung and Pentax, the only thing differentiating factor that matters to me is service quality. Any comments on this?

Thanks for any input. :D :D

My friend told me the K10D may be will reach JB at the end of Oct at price around RM3499(body).

My friend told me the K10D may be will reach JB at the end of Oct at price around RM3499(body).

That's quite good price, not too much expensive than the price in the States :)

Hope the local price will at least match this one when it's available ;p

K10D still sleeping issit ...................... ???????

not out till end of nov or around xmas...

i'm stilll toying with the idea of a d2h/s, canon 30d or k10d. k10d still sits high on my list because i wouldnt be forking out as much for new glass.

30d tempts me because of potential for low noise at high iso, but.. dont know.. i hope the k10d can offer better less noisy high iso...

i'm stilll toying with the idea of a d2h/s, canon 30d or k10d. k10d still sits high on my list because i wouldnt be forking out as much for new glass.

30d tempts me because of potential for low noise at high iso, but.. dont know.. i hope the k10d can offer better less noisy high iso...

Doubt that the K10D can match the 30D in terms of lesser noise ........ CCD against CMOS ........ no way. :think:

That's where the AS comes into use .......... no need to to pump up the ISO and shutter speeds to steady your shots ........

When you consider the total investment of your whole system, say, at least a body, 3+ lens. I think Pentax is definitely a better choice.
I think the existing Pentax lens are enough for use. Plus, you can easily got very good old lens from ebay.
That is another interest thing, optically those old lens are even better than most of today's lens. Especially for the prime lens, like 28, 35, 50, 100, 105, 135, and so on.:bsmilie:
For me, there is another reason: "Be Different!":sweatsm:

Agree :) "Be different ... and smart!" ;)
Pentax dSLR + Old quality lenses = Modern science + Wisdom of the ancient sages :bsmilie:

Doubt that the K10D can match the 30D in terms of lesser noise ........ CCD against CMOS ........ no way. :think:

That's where the AS comes into use .......... no need to to pump up the ISO and shutter speeds to steady your shots ........

i read in the specs for the k10d about two chips for handling/reducing noise from the sensor.. i hope that it makes a difference though.. as i tend to shoot alot in iso 400+ ...
and AS might not be sufficient to really help...

Just noticed that since you are Wobbly, you are going to need the AS even more ........... :bsmilie:

ahaha! judging by my efforts, youre right! :D

Here is an interesting read on CCD versus CMOS:-
http://www.dalsa.com/shared/content/Photonics_Spectra_CCDvsCMOS_Litwiller.pdf

You may want to note that high resolution sensors used in quality professional instruments such as medical endoscopes and astronomy spectrometers are CCD chips, not CMOS. In fact, a well-cooled CCD chip is excellent for deep-space objects astrophotography which require extremely long exposures of up to several hours (imagine the amount of noise summed up during the exposure!). As an example, one such camera uses thermoelectric cooling for this purpose.

how strange you said this. in reality, CCD is superior to CMOS in everyway.
CMOS suffers from alot of noise due to cross migration activity at its junctions, so only the really elcheapo stuff will use it. but cmos is really cheaper to make so this probably motivated canon to research on it and they somehow managed to improve on the design to keep the noise down and yet enjoy the low cost of cmos.
remember all those thin scanners many years back? they were inferior because they used cmos instead of ccd but because cmos is simpler to use, scanners are thin and light and cheap! again, canon was the leader in this....
today, all the best imaging devices for astronomy are nitrogen cooled ccd devices...

how strange you said this. in reality, CCD is superior to CMOS in everyway.
CMOS suffers from alot of noise due to cross migration activity at its junctions, so only the really elcheapo stuff will use it. but cmos is really cheaper to make so this probably motivated canon to research on it and they somehow managed to improve on the design to keep the noise down and yet enjoy the low cost of cmos.
remember all those thin scanners many years back? they were inferior because they used cmos instead of ccd but because cmos is simpler to use, scanners are thin and light and cheap! again, canon was the leader in this....
today, all the best imaging devices for astronomy are nitrogen cooled ccd devices...

We are talking about the present .......not the future ............ how the ccd or cmos of the future would turn out, it's anyone's guess.........................:think:

Right now cmos emerges the winner, in terms of noise control .......................;)

Nitrogen cooled camera sensor ................ I freeze at the thought of it ................;)

We are talking about the present .......not the future ............ how
Right now cmos emerges the winner, in terms of noise control .......................;)

That is why I said CCD is the current winner at the moment. CMOS in itself without the patented technologies used is inherently more noisy. Until the others learn what Canon is doing with their CMOS or they find ways to do it themselves, they will continue to use CCD.
Of course, with new technologies today, CMOS is a whole lot quieter than many years back when it was a third rate camera solution.

I believe even for canon, in itself, the noise of their CMOS is still higher than that for CCD but by not much. Hence its lower manufacturing cost is a plus for Canon's margins.
They rely more on their latest generation Digic3 processor engine to remove the noise but yet able to maintain image sharpness.

Status
Not open for further replies.