PowerShot S90! users.. Come In!!

I find the auto exposure reasonably OK.

Hi all, I will be picking up the S90 over the weekend so that I can have something to play with when I go overseas...is there anything I need to take note of when I check the camera?

Hi all, I will be picking up the S90 over the weekend so that I can have something to play with when I go overseas...is there anything I need to take note of when I check the camera?

Check is the LCD screen got some problem. Go to other threads about S90, discussed in detail about this problem.

Just got my S90 today. Was choosing it between the LX3.

Haven't played much with it yet and am still trying to figure it out.

Check is the LCD screen got some problem. Go to other threads about S90, discussed in detail about this problem.

There is a LCD screen problem? Can't seem to find it in any other S90 thread in clubsnap...

I had a G2 then the G7 for quite sometime, was thinking of getting the G11 for the 28mm wide angle. Went to the Canon centre at Vivo city to try out both cameras. In the end decided to get the S90 for the small size. Bought it this afternoon with my wife and she is now learning to use it. She does not mind carring it in her handbag. :)

Hi everyone, I was just doin some test on the S90 and thought I'd share these two with you all. Cheers.

"Pinnacle at Duxton" - max wide 28mm, ISO 800, f2, 1/5s, handheld.
IMG_0037_small.jpg

Pinnacle at Duxton - max tele 105mm, ISO 1000, f4.9, 0.8s, handheld.
IMG_0040_small.jpg

For those of you using your S90 for traveling, please bring along your charger!

I'm now in US and the battery ran flat (almost) on the 2nd day of shooting. I did not bring my charger as I did not expect to do any heavy-duty shooting, but after only 262 shots, the battery indicator flashed 'red' with only one bar left.

Temperature here is not too cold, about 10 deg C, but the camera was kept warm in my trouser pocket when not in use. Shooting in P mode mostly, in JPEG+RAW.

This was quite surprising as I manage to squeeze more shots than this from my Fuji F200EXR (at least 400 shots per charge), which was supposed to be quite poor in battery performance. My Exilim gave an obscene 1,000 shots without blinking (and stayed fully charged for more than 9 months even without being used)!

So, be warned!

Was a Casio user myself and was choosing the latest Casio zoom camera (forgot the model number), the LX3 and S90.

Had an opportunity to compare the two, the LCD screen on the S90 is definitely better, the compactness and also the various features like color accent is fun and video has slow-mo playback mode on the camera which was a conversation point when I took a Triathlon recently. For Macro shots, the LX 3 dose a better job, low light shots goes to S90...totally amazed by it over and over and over again it is just amazing.

Nothing more to wish for except I would like a continuos shooting function for rapid shots movement.

Btw is there any firmware updates out for the S90 yet?

Btw, are there any good cases and lanyards for the S90 - the one supplied, my lanyard within a day went super "hairy"....due to the velcro of the case snapping on it, and my Soft canon case is also becoming "hairy" all over as well. Any recommendations?

For those of you using your S90 for traveling, please bring along your charger!

I'm now in US and the battery ran flat (almost) on the 2nd day of shooting. I did not bring my charger as I did not expect to do any heavy-duty shooting, but after only 262 shots, the battery indicator flashed 'red' with only one bar left.

Temperature here is not too cold, about 10 deg C, but the camera was kept warm in my trouser pocket when not in use. Shooting in P mode mostly, in JPEG+RAW.

This was quite surprising as I manage to squeeze more shots than this from my Fuji F200EXR (at least 400 shots per charge), which was supposed to be quite poor in battery performance. My Exilim gave an obscene 1,000 shots without blinking (and stayed fully charged for more than 9 months even without being used)!

So, be warned!

It is mentioned in the use manual that this camera will last 200++ shots right? :angel:

It is mentioned in the use manual that this camera will last 200++ shots right? :angel:

*Sigh*, you are correct! It was mentioned in the manual that each charge can take 220 shots. My fault for missing that fact before I bought the camera.

Although the F200EXR was tested to be able to take 315 shots per charge (http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/55888/review/finepix_f200exr_black_digital_camera.html), I can manage 400 shots usually.

In the case of the S90, I manage only 262 shots. I usually conserve batteries by only switching on the camera after I have pre-visualized the scene, snap quickly, and turn it off immediately after that. It appears to work, but if I were to be touring places of interest, on average I would take 400 shots before returning to the hotel to charge the battery.

Looks like I have to get an extra battery if I were to use this camera seriously.

What a let-down! And I was so impressed with the low light performance!

Btw, are there any good cases and lanyards for the S90 - the one supplied, my lanyard within a day went super "hairy"....due to the velcro of the case snapping on it, and my Soft canon case is also becoming "hairy" all over as well. Any recommendations?
For strap I am using the default one supplied...not much problem with it so far.

For case you can consider the Kata DF-404-X, which I am using now. Link: http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp?Version=Photo&p_Id=477

More pics of the case: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5595971&postcount=55

*Sigh*, you are correct! It was mentioned in the manual that each charge can take 220 shots. My fault for missing that fact before I bought the camera.

Although the F200EXR was tested to be able to take 315 shots per charge (http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/55888/review/finepix_f200exr_black_digital_camera.html), I can manage 400 shots usually.

In the case of the S90, I manage only 262 shots. I usually conserve batteries by only switching on the camera after I have pre-visualized the scene, snap quickly, and turn it off immediately after that. It appears to work, but if I were to be touring places of interest, on average I would take 400 shots before returning to the hotel to charge the battery.

Looks like I have to get an extra battery if I were to use this camera seriously.

Hi, sorry to hear about your experiences, and thanks for sharing. Seems like its a must to bring a spare battery for intensive shooting. That said, my first charge of the batt manage to last quite a while...also ard 200 plus shots, but perhaps I didn't shoot as much as you did.

Maybe you can consider purchasing 3rd party batts? May be able to last longer and cheaper than the originals as well.

Maybe you can consider purchasing 3rd party batts? May be able to last longer and cheaper than the originals as well.

Yes, I'll be exploring options when I'm back this weekend.

WRT to the strap, yes, I also had my strap stuck to the camera bag velcro which turned 'hairy' and was deformed after I pulled it out. The strap is nice but not too durable, I'm afraid!

SLR revo sells the 3rd party NP6L batt for S90 for only $6!

Maybe you wanna try it.

SLR revo sells the 3rd party NP6L batt for S90 for only $6!

Maybe you wanna try it.

Really? Thanks for the tip! Will drop by this Saturday to grab a few.

The official S90 leather case is out in HK. It is a very handsome looking hard brown leather case with a magnet contact closer. Highly recommended compared with the "doggy" free gift case.

I got mine from Man Shing in Mongkok costs HKD250.

You might want to check with Canon Singapore when their shipment will arrive.

Possbile to post a picture of the Leather Case? Thanks :)