Portrait lens sigma 85mm f1.4 ex hsm or Canon 135mm f2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
sometimes raw sometimes jpeg

I have used the 17-55f2.8 on my 40D, the 70-200f4 IS USM and the 135f2L on both my 40D and 5D. Raw images never came out really sharp out of camera. At DPP, I need to push both the raw and jpeg sharpening levers to the middle. I have yet to hear anyone, except you, saying that they shoot raw and never sharpen their images. I believe, if one shoots jpeg, there is some form of in-camera sharpening.

Anyone out here who shoot in raw and never sharpen their images?

Last edited:
I agree, the 135mm may be too long for a crop camera like the 7D particularly for portraits. The Sigma is capable of producing sharp photos with quality brokeh. They only challenge is to find a good copy which shouldn't be too difficult.

I have used the 17-55f2.8 on my 40D, the 70-200f4 IS USM and the 135f2L on both my 40D and 5D. Raw images never came out really sharp out of camera. At DPP, I need to push both the raw and jpeg sharpening levers to the middle. I have yet to hear anyone, except you, saying that they shoot raw and never sharpen their images. I believe, if one shoots jpeg, there is some form of in-camera sharpening.

say what u want but it is a fact that some pics come up sharp out of the cam !

I agree with Anthony, RAW pics never come out sharp even on my 7D. Have to up the default sharpness in Adobe Camera Raw to get reasonable sharp jpegs

I agree with Anthony, RAW pics never come out sharp even on my 7D. Have to up the default sharpness in Adobe Camera Raw to get reasonable sharp jpegs

perhaps ur hand shake ?:bsmilie:

i maintain what i said earlier.

Saying something without substantiation is not my style. When I say a lens is good, I post images to support it. Also, sharpness is not the key attribute in a lens for me, otherwise, I would have chosen mostly Canon lenses. I never post an image and say that I never do any post processing with it because that's not the truth.

135mm-test by cybermad0209, on Flickr

pic shot by 135mm at f2 using Raw and then converted to Jpeg. No sharpening, only simple levels applied to get correct contrast.

Last edited:
Hi all... i am shooting portraits using 7D. I have only budget of 1.4K not more.
From the quoatation i can only choose the following lense... only 1 of them. C 85L out of my way.

From wad i had sourced sigma 85mm cos 1.4K at Tk
while C 135mm cos about 1.3K at MS

I know that sigma is a relative new lens...

Just need some help from bros here to decide if you got 1.4K and less... only 1 prime which should be a your choice?

Never tried the sigma or C135 but I got the canon 85 F1.8, highly recommended on a crop camera :thumbsup:

Sample shot taken
95768864.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
this would be useless if no comparison shots with Sigma...

excuse me , read properly . this pic is to prove that the 135mm can produce sharp pics out of cam in Raw , not as comparison w the sigma la :what:

haha i use this bottle of ointment as my test subject too! quite effective for my ankle pains :thumbsup:

whatever float yr boat or ankle:dunno:
'
and wat happened to yr statemt : 'I agree with Anthony, RAW pics never come out sharp even on my 7D' ? :D

Last edited:
excuse me , read properly . this pic is to prove that the 135mm can produce sharp pics out of cam in Raw , not as comparison w the sigma la :what:

who says 135L is not sharp?! no one needs to prove that 135L is sharp or not. its classified already...

i can post sharp images from Sigma 85 but i have no 135L to compare with and give solid conclusion...

who says 135L is not sharp?! no one needs to prove that 135L is sharp or not. its classified already...

i can post sharp images from Sigma 85 but i have no 135L to compare with and give solid conclusion...

Go and Read the post b4 my post of the pic . I am responding to a challenge !

135mm-test by cybermad0209, on Flickr

pic shot by 135mm at f2 using Raw and then converted to Jpeg. No sharpening, only simple levels applied to get correct contrast.

Thank you for sharing. This should be the spirit. Please don't take this as a challenge.

The point is not about sharpening but how one likes to see the final outcome of the images. There is no right or wrong. The Canon DPP tools for sharpening is not the best but sufficient to improve one's liking to the image, likewise the other features like contrast and saturation. Almost all of my alternate lens images do not require adjustment in contrast and saturation and therefore, most of my photos are not adjusted in those areas. I shoot manual focus lenses which require me to adjust sharpness to some photos. Also I find that converting a raw image to jpeg with DPP causes the jpeg image to be much less sharp, therefore, I will need to sharpen it back to how I see it on raw. Any OOF image or not very sharp image cannot be sharpen very well on DPP. If it's out , it's out and DPP cannot help. I am an old man and DPP is difficult enough for me.

Is your image sharp enough for me? No, because on my 23" screen it's soft.

Thank you for sharing. This should be the spirit. Please don't take this as a challenge.

The point is not about sharpening but how one likes to see the final outcome of the images. There is no right or wrong. The Canon DPP tools for sharpening is not the best but sufficient to improve one's liking to the image, likewise the other features like contrast and saturation. Almost all of my alternate lens images do not require adjustment in contrast and saturation and therefore, most of my photos are not adjusted in those areas. I shoot manual focus lenses which require me to adjust sharpness to some photos. Also I find that converting a raw image to jpeg with DPP causes the jpeg image to be much less sharp, therefore, I will need to sharpen it back to how I see it on raw. Any OOF image or not very sharp image cannot be sharpen very well on DPP. If it's out , it's out and DPP cannot help. I am an old man and DPP is difficult enough for me.

Is your image sharp enough for me? No, because on my 23" screen it's soft.

I quote you :"Saying something without substantiation is not my style. When I say a lens is good, I post images to support it..... I never post an image and say that I never do any post processing with it because that's not the truth."

If this is not a challenge for me to show pic to support my case then I dunno what is a challenge.

And pls dun turn around now to say that the whole point is not abt sharpening. I quote u :" Raw images never came out really sharp out of camera. At DPP, I need to push both the raw and jpeg sharpening levers to the middle. I have yet to hear anyone, except you, saying that they shoot raw and never sharpen their images"

If u have lost ur case , admit it and move on. As they like to say ' it's an honest mistake, let's move on ' :cool:

I quote you :"Saying something without substantiation is not my style. When I say a lens is good, I post images to support it..... I never post an image and say that I never do any post processing with it because that's not the truth."

If this is not a challenge for me to show pic to support my case then I dunno what is a challenge.

And pls dun turn around now to say that the whole point is not abt sharpening. I quote u :" Raw images never came out really sharp out of camera. At DPP, I need to push both the raw and jpeg sharpening levers to the middle. I have yet to hear anyone, except you, saying that they shoot raw and never sharpen their images"

If u have lost ur case , admit it and move on. As they like to say ' it's an honest mistake, let's move on ' :cool:

Once again, I never challenged you because I was not convinced of what you said until you posted the photo. I even thanked you for doing that and this is what I get. I did conclude that your image was not sharp on my monitor, and if that was my own image I would sharpen it. So you want me to admit to what, that I lied or being rude? You asked me whether I sharpen my images and I said yes because I didn't believe anyone using a DSLR and software for post processing will not sharpen their images, which includes improving contrast which is part and parcel of sharpening. You replied "nope" so you had to prove it otherwise nobody would believe you.

Status
Not open for further replies.