Pictures shot in raw vs. Jpg

I m starting to learn how to edit my raw shots..my Photoshop is old version SMS it doesn't read raw and I don't have lightroom. I think I will probably use the software that came along with the 550D

I was trying to shoot a flower yesterdsy and i tried to do a bokeh but I think I set a too wide aperture and maybe I was too close to the flower as well, I could not get the whole of the flower in focus..then I read from the web that aperture should be set to something like F7-8 to close down the light. Well I used f2 yesterday... :S

It could also be out of focus, as f2 has a very narrow depth of field and if you move after focusing, it could be off.

Use the free software that came with your camera, or just update Photoshop (specifically Camera RAW). You can do so when you open Photoshop, and click Update under the Help menu.

I m starting to learn how to edit my raw shots..my Photoshop is old version SMS it doesn't read raw and I don't have lightroom. I think I will probably use the software that came along with the 550D

I was trying to shoot a flower yesterdsy and i tried to do a bokeh but I think I set a too wide aperture and maybe I was too close to the flower as well, I could not get the whole of the flower in focus..then I read from the web that aperture should be set to something like F7-8 to close down the light. Well I used f2 yesterday... :S

It may be because you are too near to your subject (flower) and causing your focus to be off....Every lens have a min focus length (I believe it's written on the lens. e.g. 18-55 i think is 25cm. So you will have to be at least 25cm from the subject.)

Thanks skystrike and brapodam for the advice.
I think I should had a slightly narrower aperture like f5 or 6 and step back a little bit. Also I think my hands was not steady enough which caused the out of focus. Will keep trying... :)

Thanks skystrike and brapodam for the advice.
I think I should had a slightly narrower aperture like f5 or 6 and step back a little bit. Also I think my hands was not steady enough which caused the out of focus. Will keep trying... :)

If you very unsteady hands, probably can consider shutter priority(TV) instead (I think prob you are on AV) and make the shutter speed faster...General guidelines for shutter speed is 1/focal length. If you are "zooming" in at focal length of 135, your shutter speed should be FASTER than 1/135 (e.g. 1/160)

Hope this helps.

Raw= uncooked, so you can "cook" in your personal preference (in photo editing software, not on a wok).
jpeg= Already cooked by the processor. So makes the picture less editable.

Raw= uncooked, so you can "cook" in your personal preference (in photo editing software, not on a wok).
jpeg= Already cooked by the processor. So makes the picture less editable.

Nice theory. :D

JPEG like you said is cooked and you can only add salt or pepper to better suit your taste. But you can't change the way it's been "cooked".

Deathegg said:
Nice theory. :D

JPEG like you said is cooked and you can only add salt or pepper to better suit your taste. But you can't change the way it's been "cooked".

I like to be the chef, design my own dish / receipe and cook with fresh ingredients ...

I like to be the chef, design my own dish / receipe and cook with fresh ingredients ...

That being said, but it don't help much when your main ingredient is bad (bad composition/lighting etc)

SkyStrike said:
That being said, but it don't help much when your main ingredient is bad (bad composition/lighting etc)

Exactly! That's why I have to learn. Not everyone was born with such talent or know how to cook a good dish from the start. But i believe through lots of practice and learning from others, I should be able to improve. :)

RAW give better colour accuracy and retention out of the camera.

My computer heatsink cooler has blue LED.

When I shoot the fan in JPEG mode, the LED colour in the picture turns out to be purple.

When I shoot in RAW, the LED colour remains the same, even after I convert to JPEG.

Exactly! That's why I have to learn. Not everyone was born with such talent or know how to cook a good dish from the start. But i believe through lots of practice and learning from others, I should be able to improve. :)

Don't worry too much. Many/Most (if not all) of us are still learning :)

Happy Shooting/Cooking :D

Jpeg is good for meeting with short/closing deadlines. I love shooting jpegs, i havent been much disappointed by its offering.
RAW is definitely the better format and i know that there are many people who swear by them, because it makes them feel like a better photographer.
So don't worry, just experiment with both format.

Last edited:
I shot in raw. Used the canon software to do the editing and then converted in jpg. But the canon editor doesn't have the healing brush that Photoshop has.

Tigerbear said:
I shot in raw. Used the canon software to do the editing and then converted in jpg. But the canon editor doesn't have the healing brush that Photoshop has.

There's an option for you to export it to PhotoShop once you're done with tour adjustments in dpp.. that's what I usually do.. but I guess everyone has their own preference in workflow.. so its up to you how you want to go about doing it.. there are many ways of achieving similar results in post processing..

There's an option for you to export it to PhotoShop once you're done with tour adjustments in dpp.. that's what I usually do.. but I guess everyone has their own preference in workflow.. so its up to you how you want to go about doing it.. there are many ways of achieving similar results in post processing..

Do you mind sharing with me your workflow?
Mine is like this:
1.Save the raw shots under the folder "Raw"
2. work on the adjustments for each shot
3. batch convert and save into jpg under a separate folder

One question, it will ask if you want to save the changes made to the raw shots. What do you usually do? thanks.....;)

Do you mind sharing with me your workflow?
Mine is like this:
1.Save the raw shots under the folder "Raw"
2. work on the adjustments for each shot
3. batch convert and save into jpg under a separate folder

One question, it will ask if you want to save the changes made to the raw shots. What do you usually do? thanks.....;)

I don't believe you can save directly onto a RAW file, I think you can only save the changes in an exported JPG.

I don't believe you can save directly onto a RAW file, I think you can only save the changes in an exported JPG.

You can't save directly to the raw file, but Photoshop will create a [filename].xmp file (in the same directory as the raw file) which will store the adjustments you have made. So the next time you reload the same raw file, the adjustments will still be there.

SkyStrike said:
You can't save directly to the raw file, but Photoshop will create a [filename].xmp file (in the same directory as the raw file) which will store the adjustments you have made. So the next time you reload the same raw file, the adjustments will still be there.

I am using the canon software. I adjusted the raw files and convert to jgp. When I exit, it said the files are edited and if I want to save the changes. I clicked yes and I noticed that those files are updated with the new edited dates.. Lucky I still have the raw shots in my cam. Now what I do is save the raw in a folder 'raw' and duplicate this folder, while having another jpg folder for the converted formats..

I was shooting a building from a low angle with the sky behind it . The colour of the sky is blue on the left while on the right it is more white. Is it something to do with the lights or sun as it was blue on both side in real. Did I do something wrong?