Photography as new hobby, any advice?

I'm with DD on this.

The Canon 60D is not much more capable over the excellent 650D at the novice level and far weaker than the 7D at the semi-professional level.

Of course, judging from the success of the Canon 60D, apparently many disagree with me.

I'm with DD on this.

The Canon 60D is not much more capable over the excellent 650D at the novice level and far weaker than the 7D at the semi-professional level.

Of course, judging from the success of the Canon 60D, apparently many disagree with me.

Well, Canon is very very good at marketing...

I also don't like the idea of 60D but hey, that's how Canon suck money from consumers right?

And your point about size... between a 60D and 7D, the size and weight difference is that much that it bothers you? Come on now, really??? The difference is only 140g... If weight is that much of an issue, might as well go pns.

No I don't agree here. I have handled both 60D and 7D, as well as my old 40D before. Yes, initially, I don't really feel that much of a different, but when I was lugging them around for a day... the difference came in, I can actually feel the weigh and it is not pretty... maybe that is just me. And maybe I should stick with PnS and let the man handle the heavy stuff.

Anyway, there are other things in the 60D that is favourable...

Such as

1) Adjustable Auto ISO limit (which I am wishing that Canon had include in my 7D)
2) Better metering system
3) slightly bigger (I admit not much of a difference here) frame coverage in the viewfinder

And yes... like many had mentioned, Canon had very good marketing scheme, so many are taken by their words and go into 60D rather than to get the rocking 50D... just like they have very good marketing scheme, to get people buying the 50D while the then still rocking 40D.

Everyone had their preferences, and I find the update in the 60D worth the money... and like I have mentioned, what I especially like is the swivel screen and the weigh (which is just right). Plus the excellent movie mode, great ergonomic, better noise performance (when compared to even the 7D and 50D).

So if I was to choose... of course the 7D would still be number 1 (except for the heavy weigh), then the 60D... if budget is a problem, I would go for 600D (a good second hand copy should not cost that much) or a 40D (if TS could find a good copy).

just want to thank you guys for being so helpful to TS that even my this post sticks out as boh liao :thumbsup:

No I don't agree here. I have handled both 60D and 7D, as well as my old 40D before. Yes, initially, I don't really feel that much of a different, but when I was lugging them around for a day... the difference came in, I can actually feel the weigh and it is not pretty... maybe that is just me. And maybe I should stick with PnS and let the man handle the heavy stuff.

Anyway, there are other things in the 60D that is favourable...

Such as

1) Adjustable Auto ISO limit (which I am wishing that Canon had include in my 7D)
2) Better metering system
3) slightly bigger (I admit not much of a difference here) frame coverage in the viewfinder

And yes... like many had mentioned, Canon had very good marketing scheme, so many are taken by their words and go into 60D rather than to get the rocking 50D... just like they have very good marketing scheme, to get people buying the 50D while the then still rocking 40D.

Everyone had their preferences, and I find the update in the 60D worth the money... and like I have mentioned, what I especially like is the swivel screen and the weigh (which is just right). Plus the excellent movie mode, great ergonomic, better noise performance (when compared to even the 7D and 50D).

So if I was to choose... of course the 7D would still be number 1 (except for the heavy weigh), then the 60D... if budget is a problem, I would go for 600D (a good second hand copy should not cost that much) or a 40D (if TS could find a good copy).

Whatever rocks your boat dude... Maybe it is time to hit the gym and get some weight training in.

But if you really looking for the points 1, 2 and 3 you mentioned, you really ought to give Nikon a try. Because Nikon gives you that in ALL their camera bodies since the D70 and D40, even the entry level ones... and also, spot metering at the selected AF point. ;-)

Last edited:
daredevil123 said:
Whatever rocks your boat dude... Maybe it is time to hit the gym and get some weight training in.

But if you really looking for the points 1, 2 and 3 you mentioned, you really ought to give Nikon a try. Because Nikon gives you that in ALL their camera bodies since the D70 and D40, even the entry level ones... and also, spot metering at the selected AF point. ;-)

Sony even better.....

Well... we just have to agree to disagree here :)

I respect your point of view, although I don't necessary agreed with it. Plus your mentioning of Nikon... I am not going to counter that or be drawn into a brand war soon... for your record, I love the Nikon... I have handled the D7000 and it basically rock... But I have too many Canon lenses to jump ship.

And yes... I should hit the gym soon... Getting too much of a slack, but my point on the weigh issue still stands... to me at least and you can disagree with that too.

Sony even better.....

Oh... no... here come the fanboy... and with comments like this... I can predict a brandwar brewing in the horizon.

Well... we just have to agree to disagree here :)

I respect your point of view, although I don't necessary agreed with it. Plus your mentioning of Nikon... I am not going to counter that or be drawn into a brand war soon... for your record, I love the Nikon... I have handled the D7000 and it basically rock... But I have too many Canon lenses to jump ship.

And yes... I should hit the gym soon... Getting too much of a slack, but my point on the weigh issue still stands... to me at least and you can disagree with that too.

Well, it is not disagreement. I guess we are working off different paradigms here. For me 100-200g more doesn't mean much, probably because I am very used to heavier gear and shooting longer periods. After all, a 140g difference is like an additional L plate. Probably for the casual shooter it seems like a lot more.

And D7000 is not bad of a camera but still with flaws in its ergonomics. Wait till you try the likes of D300s/D700/D800/D3/D3s/D4...

Last edited:
rhino123 said:
Oh... no... here come the fanboy... and with comments like this... I can predict a brandwar brewing in the horizon.

Lol....

just want to thank you guys for being so helpful to TS that even my this post sticks out as boh liao

Haha! But,yeah I agree. Thanks alot for all the opinions and advice!

Weight isn't so much of a problem for me, usually I prioritize the functions first. Unless it weighs like two bricks, but poor student here, I might still consider it. :p I looked up reviews on the 50D and liked the extra dial and features. I figured if it were cheap enough, might as well so I scouted out the 50D on the BnS, and found out its going about $700 for the body only. :bheart:

ANYWAY, now poking around for a 40D, any advice? Seems like a pretty solid camera but I'm wondering whether the 500D Digic 4 Processor is worth it. I'm glad someone mentioned it, I was only looking at the entry level consumer line and this widened my horizons a little bit. I was consider that it maybe more worthwhile to get a dated Semi-pro DSLR rather than a less dated entry level camera...but I'm not experienced enough to make the call. If i continue looking at the 40D, seems like my budget has to go up too. :(

Nothing worth doing or owning comes cheap eh? :/

ANYWAY, now poking around for a 40D, any advice? Seems like a pretty solid camera but I'm wondering whether the 500D Digic 4 Processor is worth it.
The processor is only relevant if you shoot JPG. Then the processor will do the RAW conversion, noise reduction etc. The moment you shoot RAW and to the processing on computer all the in-camera processors are jobless.

Guys just want to know,for Those photo shoots on cs, if i use 7d and 50mm f1.8 will i be rejected or outcast ah.

IMHO the only outcast are people who doesn't seem to know how to utilise with what they have, and yet keeps asking if they should upgrade for a better set

Guys just want to know,for Those photo shoots on cs, if i use 7d and 50mm f1.8 will i be rejected or outcast ah.
Beside from being off-topic (please ask such questions in the relevant threads or open a new one. Thanks.) .. I think it's a photo shoot, not a size comparison. But you'll draw some attention if you need to ask 3 people around you how to operate your camera :)
The organizer wants to make money, they won't reject you based on equipment ...

Last edited:
Really ah i mean im new la, and i see alot of bros the lense are like so long and L lense.. anyway thanks

Really ah i mean im new la, and i see alot of bros the lense are like so long and L lense.. anyway thanks
Does a lens (or any other equipment) define a photographer?