Photography as new hobby, any advice?

Some of those lenses are often rented. There're ppl who use compact and even handphone cameras on events, solely just to see the girl but then, would you rather be someone who uses 50 1.8 but can shoot great or L who can shoot nuts? Because I know someone who travels round the world to shoot very top beautiful chicks, sometimes with a 50 1.8

Guys just want to know,for Those photo shoots on cs, if i use 7d and 50mm f1.8 will i be rejected or outcast ah.

Haha, if you don't mind advice from this newb who just reads a lot of the theory and owns no camera... I think a 50mm f1.8 is fine. At f1.8 the bokeh effect will allow the subject to be emphasized because only the subject will be in focus. That's what most people tell me anyway! I don't see the point bring a huge L lens for a photoshoot... but it depends on the subject, its distance from you and if its stationary or moving. So just pick a lens that allows you to get the best capture, I guess?

Haha, if you don't mind advice from this newb who just reads a lot of the theory and owns no camera... I think a 50mm f1.8 is fine. At f1.8 the bokeh effect will allow the subject to be emphasized because only the subject will be in focus. That's what most people tell me anyway! I don't see the point bring a huge L lens for a photoshoot... but it depends on the subject, its distance from you and if its stationary or moving. So just pick a lens that allows you to get the best capture, I guess?

Just a note.. there is no such thing as "bokeh effect". Bokeh = quality of the blur. What you probably mean is thin Depth of Field, or background blur. And what you are trying to describe is called "subject isolation"

Big L lenses has it uses too. You just have to slowly learn which lenses are suit for what situations.

I think a 50mm f1.8 is fine. At f1.8 the bokeh effect will allow the subject to be emphasized because only the subject will be in focus.
At f/1.8 only small parts of your subject will be in focus. Use one of the many online calculators for Depth of Field and see for yourself. For a portrait it's more flattering for the model if the entire face is in focus, not just the nose from using center AF point ..