Pentax To Announce the K-3 Full Frame DSLR At Photokina

Wow thanks! Then there is no point in me getting it. I've used my friend's nikon d700 before and the very first thing i cant stand is the weight... Break shoulders that thing..

V wierd . Once Pentax got FF I think 50% of us will jump. Why do we need to discuss about all this...move on and shoot more.

base on your only-user-can-comment logic, then nobody are allowed to comment on the K-3, then why you chipped in??? have you used a K-3 before???

Thats like what I say... If u have not use it... All talk is just talk... wouldn't it be more meaningful if u use it and comment about it... Sure not all will like it need it or whatever... But at least it's base on actual experience...

Owning a Ferrari will not make me a better driver... And I dun own 1... But would I like to have 1 sure why not... But would I say owning a Ferrari is a waste of money since it dun serve any purpose other than taking me from point A to point B ? I wouldn't know since I dun own 1... Maybe 1 day I will let u know... But whatever case it will be base on actual user experience...

fengwei said:
Never had a FF dSLR, but used quite a few, mostly friends copies. As you said, I just don't like the size and weight, and the IQ gain won't do me much good. I won't like it if they can't make the bodies/lenses smaller. The IQ can be different from a FF to APSC, but the difference is much less than a Ferrari to a Latio. I don't mind having/driving a Ferrari ;p, but I don't fancy carrying a FF dSLR around for long that's for sure. If I wanted/needed an FF, I'd have got one long time ago.

If Pentax can make a FF body close to the size/weight of a K5 (which I'm sure they will ;)), I'd be very interested. But if they make one like a D800 or 5DIII, I'd stick w/ my K5 that's for sure.

For pros like our Reportage, they make money by taking photos, I'm sure they don't mind carrying a bit extra load if the money is good. But for most consumers (me included), I'd say a smaller and lighter camera with good enough IQ would be a better choice.

If you look around here at the forum or DPR, you can see a lot guys (including quite some FF owners) moved to m4/3 system due to its small size and good enough IQ. But I myself just dumped my m4/3 and changed to an even smaller X-10 :D

Yea man I agree. I used a borrowed a gf5 n got v v good results for macro, esp w the incr dof at bigger apertures. Plus its light n good enough for my purposes. Only thing tts I don't prefer now is the high base ISO n lack of bulb mode which I need for long exposures

Last edited:
V wierd . Once Pentax got FF I think 50% of us will jump. Why do we need to discuss about all this...move on and shoot more.

I think only 2-4% C/N users are using FF here, why do you think 50% of us would jump on to a FF Pentax? ;)

50% of my friend will jump...and Pentax FF will be cheaper.. C/N new models r so expensive

i must be away from the forum too long... got a notification when a someone like my post...din know got such a feature :bsmilie:

never post for too long... long time never ruffle some feathers with my opinions... :bsmilie:

come on K3.. can't wait to shoot babes with it... i want the background to be creamy creamy...

If Pentax can make a FF body close to the size/weight of a K5 (which I'm sure they will ;)), I'd be very interested. But if they make one like a D800 or 5DIII, I'd stick w/ my K5 that's for sure.

If Pentax can make a FF price close to the price of a K5, I'd be more interested :bsmilie:

Then you need to wait for two years to get a second hand one after Pentax FF comes out ;)

any rumor of new 645D model coming? Someone is waiting to get his 645D, has been two years since it's launched rite ;)

Largest I've printed is A1 with my K7. Other sizes were in A2. Now I can do A3 and A3+.
Never had a problem w/ pixels or quality from camera.

The real issues w/ printing have been brightness/contrast/color accuracy/ pre-sharpening/ local contrast adjustment between screen & print.
The A1, one I mentioned above was quite sucky in color accuracy, as I did not know better then and also used a print shop I did not use before (ie. Should have done some proofing 1st)

I will get a Pentax FF if they come out with one.
I admit its a want, not a need :D
Certainly know that Aps-c works well from a quality and size standpoint, esp, for travels.
As such, I'd juggle between the 2 formats, probably slowing down the cycle of camera body buying between the two

I will get a Pentax FF if they come out with one.
I admit its a want, not a need :D
Certainly know that Aps-c works well from a quality and size standpoint, esp, for travels.
As such, I'd juggle between the 2 formats, probably slowing down the cycle of camera body buying between the two
End of the day, main thing is the price, if Pentax makes it $5,000, I don't think many people will get. :bsmilie: I guess everyone would "want" a FF Pentax in some way... After all, more options is never going to be something that paranoid photographers can say no to. There are so many factors to be considered though.

As of now, I am also not too sure if Pentax has a good enough line-up in the FF dept for lenses. Maybe the digital lenses could be used but as of now it is not clear... And thus far, most of the third-party UWA for FF are not that great, from what I remember. :)

End of the day, main thing is the price, if Pentax makes it $5,000, I don't think many people will get. :bsmilie: I guess everyone would "want" a FF Pentax in some way... After all, more options is never going to be something that paranoid photographers can say no to. There are so many factors to be considered though.

As of now, I am also not too sure if Pentax has a good enough line-up in the FF dept for lenses. Maybe the digital lenses could be used but as of now it is not clear... And thus far, most of the third-party UWA for FF are not that great, from what I remember. :)

Yup!
Price should be commensurate with what it is and usually Pentax gives that bit more than the competition for the same price.
Of course it will be better if it does not hurt the wallet too much :D

I'm not too concerned about the "lenses not good enough for FF" argument (I know your requirements will differ because you do mostly wide angles).
Many Pentax legacy lenses have been used on 5D and 5DII w/o impact.
FA ltds will do 80% of most general photography.
DA100, 60-250; DA300, DA200 can cover the long end.
There are also the DA35/2.4, DA40, DA50/1.8
There are also the 3rd party lenses 28-75; 70-200; etc

If FF ever comes out, match up with a few legacy lenses for a while to make up the missing focal lengths.
The immediate missing link is a FF UWA.
I think the DA12-24 is tested to be vignette free from 15-16mmm or something like that.

Anyway, all talk only lah!
I believe it when I see it :D :D

If Pentax releases FF camera, I think K-01 sales will go up :) Just acquired a K-01 myself to test out. I think I'll be happy with it if it means keeping only one system. It makes more sense as a compliment to a FF camera. After using mirrorless for more than 2 years, the only dslr I'll ever gonna be getting is a FF dslr. I hope rumors are true that it's the most compact.

tbh, currently i'm more interested in whether a K-5 successor will be announced this yr, than a FF announcement...FF imo is too heavy for me or maybe i'm just lazy :(

if full frame come out.

does it means that my Pentax 16-50f/2.8 and 50-135f/2.8 cannot be use anymore?

Yes cannot. So must sell your lens cheap, cheap. Preferably to me T_T....
Or you can always use it on a K5 or whatever new flagship apsc model they come out with.