Owners of both Nikon 24mm 1.4G and 35mm 1.4G

Thanks guys for all the replies. Just got my 24G after a few days of loaning my friend's 24. The unique "wide angle bokeh" of this lens really is a big factor for my decision on getting this lens. I agree its sharper than my 35G but for now, the 35G is still an awesome lens for me since it does not distort person/people's faces. Im now excited to use this 24, looking forward to learn how to properly use it and discover how different it is from my 35. Any tips are welcome...ü

Welcome to the club of owning one of Nikons top 5 lenses... AND AMONGST THE SHARPEST.... ever IMO :)

along the same lines, I suppose, this is why there is still a strong following for the pre-aspherical classic rendering Leica glass - despite the "glow" at maximum aperture and the less than optimal sharpness on the M8/M9 digital sensor. Sometimes, its not all about getting it sharp, the classic expression of an old school lens may be preferred by other photographers.

Its like say the Nikkor 35/1.4 G vs the Canon 35/1.4 L and against the Zeiss 35/1.4 T*. They all complement each other at the same focal length. The Canon probably wins in the sharpness contest wide open. The Zeiss wins in the resolution stakes stopped down and the Nikon has the convenience of fast autofocus in a light frame. I own all three lenses so I will say that its really a "horses for courses" kind of thing. But best bokeh definitely goes to the Zeiss without question. The sharpness stakes will be won by the Leica 35/1.4 FLE. NO CONTEST there whatsoever.

You sticking it on a Nikon :p

:) :)

I used to own a 24mm F1.4 and sold it off in favour of the 35mm...

Now i regret selling it. Nothing wrong with the 35mm... fantastic lens... great for street photography and candids.

Just that the lens compression on 24mm F1.4 is just unique in its on way.

With the new Sigma 35mm f1.4 and it's raving reviews I m thinking to add the lens to my existing 24mm f1.4 & 85 f1.4 afd. RECAP bro u tried the Sigma before?

With the new Sigma 35mm f1.4 and it's raving reviews I m thinking to add the lens to my existing 24mm f1.4 & 85 f1.4 afd. RECAP bro u tried the Sigma before?

Your on a good idea here bro.... thats all I'm hearing is good things about it..... and it MAY be sharper than both Nikons AND Canons offering... if this is the case it's going to be great !!

http://fstoppers.com/sigma35review

Watch the video. !

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Pu...on-A-Prime-Example-of-Lens-Design/Comparisons

also.

Last edited:
Actually, interestingly, I used to think like that. Get the raw file perfect. Do some "destruction" in post production. Then I realized there was one thing that the more modern aspherical nano coated glass cannot replicate even after significant post production - the quality of the bokeh. There is a distinctive differential rendering of the classic glass that as far as I know, I have not been able to replicate in terms of bokeh.

I've shot for many years and to be honest, I used to think it was all about sharpness all the time. Getting nice perfectly sharp in focus shots - after all, who doesn't want that. Then I realized that sometimes, it wasn't about technical perfect. It was about capturing the moment, no matter how flawed it was. A memory of the emotion of that instant in time. And then I no longer cared about sharpness too much anymore.

Interesting side tid-bit I discovered today: as an owner of the 85/1.4D and the 85/1.4G, the D version can actually keep up with the 36MP sensor! No kidding! I was surprised myself...

that's why i use mostly manual lenses ^^ the overall rendition you get from them is quite difficult to reproduce in post(i would say impossible), and a number of them are incredibly good. they're also significantly cheaper =P

Last edited:
Dun think its has been mentioned here yet. The 24mm has a very short focusing distance, allows u to get close to your subject. Imagine being able to isolate the subject matter with that creamy bokeh in the background!

The 24 1.4G and the 851.4g has that unique 3D pop when u get the shot right. Makes for some very nice photo!

Omega, I just got it this afternoon, and I love it. I also have the Nikon 1.4G lens, and this compares favourable in all departments, except bokeh. The Nikon's bokeh is much nicer.

Build wise, it's outstanding and the sharpness is incredible. I've not shot the Zeiss 35mm 1.4 yet, but this is easily the overall sharpest autofocus 35mm I have ever shot. However, I believe the Nikon's sharpness probably shades it at closer distances (environmental portraits, for instance) but if the subject is farther away, the Sigma is much sharper.

It really depends on what you use your 35mm focal length for, really. Each lens has its own strengths and weaknesses, and everyone needs to test for themselves.

Omega, I just got it this afternoon, and I love it. I also have the Nikon 1.4G lens, and this compares favourable in all departments, except bokeh. The Nikon's bokeh is much nicer.

Build wise, it's outstanding and the sharpness is incredible. I've not shot the Zeiss 35mm 1.4 yet, but this is easily the overall sharpest autofocus 35mm I have ever shot. However, I believe the Nikon's sharpness probably shades it at closer distances (environmental portraits, for instance) but if the subject is farther away, the Sigma is much sharper.

It really depends on what you use your 35mm focal length for, really. Each lens has its own strengths and weaknesses, and everyone needs to test for themselves.

Thx going to get a set to play soon.

Pls PM me the price and store you got bro... I want also. ;)

I got 24-70 f2.8, 50 f1.4G, 85 f1.4D and I am wondering if I should get rid of 24-70 to get 24 1.4G and 35 1.4G? I seldom use my 50 f1.4G because I somehow prefers the IQ on 24-70 f2.8 and 85 1.4D. I am also a bit lazy to change lens so prefers the flexibility of 24-70. But maybe because I have never use 35 1.4G and 24 1.4G so can't see the difference and compare. Anyone who have 35 1.4G, 24 1.4G and 24-70 2.8; can shed some light on if it is worth trading in the zoom for the primes?

I got 24-70 f2.8, 50 f1.4G, 85 f1.4D and I am wondering if I should get rid of 24-70 to get 24 1.4G and 35 1.4G? I seldom use my 50 f1.4G because I somehow prefers the IQ on 24-70 f2.8 and 85 1.4D. I am also a bit lazy to change lens so prefers the flexibility of 24-70. But maybe because I have never use 35 1.4G and 24 1.4G so can't see the difference and compare. Anyone who have 35 1.4G, 24 1.4G and 24-70 2.8; can shed some light on if it is worth trading in the zoom for the primes?

If you're lazy to change lens, stick to zoom.

I have the same set as you, except mine is 50f1.8.
I'm thinking of getting 24f1.4 for dedicating shoots, and keeps the 2470 for events. Many said that event should use prime, but I felt that 2470 is enough, for me at least for this moment. I preferred to match it with the 85 on a rented body for dedicated shots, so far so good.
Still thinking as weight will be the deciding factor. To travel light for dedicating shooting, together with 50 & 85....leaving the heavy weight 2470 at home. That's my thoughts. ..