Official Sony A7 or A7r discussion thread (Season II)

When i was at robot restaurant at shinjuku for cheapo dinner but expensive show it was Low light so use cv 1.2 and had to prefocus. To get good SS had to bump up iso to 3200 to catch the bots and babes in motion

When i was at robot restaurant at shinjuku for cheapo dinner but expensive show it was Low light so use cv 1.2 and had to prefocus. To get good SS had to bump up iso to 3200 to catch the bots and babes in motion

omg..you went for the weird robot cafe..I saw that in the news and thought it was the weirdest thing. .then again it's Japan. .I went to the maid cafe and that was mad expensive with horrible food

Influence by Anthony bourdain... Best show in the world

After today, i really wish Sony had released a better AF FF mirrorless camera... maybe this rumoured A9 should be released faster than Sept :)
As much as I love my A7r and forgive it's misfortunes, for the first time i was truely frustrated using it today.
I was shooting a fire performance a iLight today with the a7r and fe55..it was dark and the performers moved alot..and even at f1.8 and ISO2500, the camera 80% of the time, fails to focus at all and becuase it's at f1.8, by the time it does, the person moved a little..OOF again..It simply didn't work most of the time. I know it's bad in low light but i never expected it to be THIS bad. The only other time i got this frustrated was with the EOS M in low light as well..the A7R is no different.

I was at the same event, with A7 & mostly SEL1018. I was quite happy with the AF though, only 1-2 mis-focus out of over 100.
I didn't try f1.8 though (or even f4) ... pretty sure I won't get any good catch on that.
The performers are moving so fast, it's probably like trying to nail BIF on f2.8 ... at night :D

I have downloaded and installed on my A7r and NEX6.

A7r:
- Startup time is indeed faster now. It used to take 3 sec froma cold start and over 4sec if you on and off fast...now..it's barely 1 sec and you can start shooting!
- AF is somehow improved in low light i feel. It used to be slow and hunts when i test in my room but now it locks on pretty fast..Not blazing fast but i can tell the difference in speed because i tested with my NEX6, it used to be slower..now it's slightly faster so i know it improved.
- Nothing else to update..IQ supposed to be better but i'm sure that's for JPG an i don't shoot JPG.

NEX6
- Added OSS and PDAF support for my 247-Z and 55Z...that's about it..at least it's supported now...but i won't use those lenses on the nex6 anyways.

Just upgraded yesterday, startup is faster now.

Af moves faster now but also hunts more..... couple of times it missed for the 5 mins I tried last night. Will test more tonight.

Notice that too at low light. Seems to hunt more especially at 70mm. At 24 is quite snappy

Hi guys,I'll be going HK next week and would like to ask regarding buying a Sony A7 there.

1. Does the Tourist Warranty covers the same as buying locally in Singapore?
2. Any recommended shops to buy?
3. Any stuffs to check out for?

Thanks in Advance!

Hi guys,I'll be going HK next week and would like to ask regarding buying a Sony A7 there.

1. Does the Tourist Warranty covers the same as buying locally in Singapore?
2. Any recommended shops to buy?
3. Any stuffs to check out for?

Thanks in Advance!

Go to sony hk site to determine which are authorised dealers before making your purchase.

HK is tax free btw, any shop labelled with Tax free on the outside are shops that you should avoid.

Sony firmware udpate now available for the A7 / A7R. available for download on sony AU and sony Japan. nothing on SG sony support page yet

anyone had a chance to udpate yet? i will try when home after work today.

http://www.sony.com.au/support/download/585420/product/ilce-7

here too

Windoze
http://www.sony-asia.com/support/download/585269

Mac
http://www.sony-asia.com/support/download/585305

Actually updated it, but didn't find it much faster... cold start/boot still takes so long.. 11 secs!!!!!

& 1.9 secs to turn on...

I had to time it with a stopwatch just to be sure..

Last edited:
here too

Windoze
http://www.sony-asia.com/support/download/585269

Mac
http://www.sony-asia.com/support/download/585305

Actually updated it, but didn't find it much faster... cold start/boot still takes so long.. 11 secs!!!!!

& 1.9 secs to turn on...

I had to time it with a stopwatch just to be sure..

11sec to startup? You sure??
Mine takes 1sec hereabouts..not 11sec..no matter cold start or quick start..its the same time..it's fast enough now..

I clocked from cold start to first af shot about 3.1s

You're right..from turn on (both cold and warn starts) to taking the first shot is about 3sec.
I was timing just turn one and see something on the screen..that's about 1sec plus..another 2sec to lock focus and shoot..

At least last time, just turning on and seeing something on the screen is already 4sec

11sec to startup? You sure?? Mine takes 1sec hereabouts..not 11sec..no matter cold start or quick start..its the same time..it's fast enough now..

I kid you not... it takes freaking 11 seconds...

Maybe I should take a vid and show you guys...

It is ridiculously slow...

My update doesn't complete and keep failing at the last stage. Does anyone face the same issue? It keeps saying the update is aborted due to an error in the process. Now i can't even get back to the old state. Anyone having same issue?

Thats weird. Maybe Check if ur firmware is updated successfully in ur camera? Btw i almost downloaded a7 firmware instead of a7r. Not sure what will happen if i upload wrong firmware.
Ur sd card is class 10?