OFFICIAL: Olympus OM-D E-M5 User Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Anyone here try the 12-60mm with the OM-D? Cant find any on the net.

12-60 is an excellent lens, but you need mmf1/2/3 adapter and the AF is slow (2-3s), and it's huge heavy lens. not so practical i think, unless the IQ is what you are after. 14-54 MKII 2.8-3.5 is also an excellent, less heavy, still large but AF is faster (ard 1s). once a while pop up on BNS

Soon Ruey said:

Awesome pano and fern shot! The keyline thing looks gimmicky though lol.

Question: If we buy the E-M5 from local shops now, do we still get the MMF-3 with it? Or was that just for pre-orders? TIA

The free gifts (either MMF-3 or 32gb SD Card) were for the 1st round of pre-orders with authorized dealers only. Promo over some time ago already, as far as I am aware.

Question: If we buy the E-M5 from local shops now, do we still get the MMF-3 with it? Or was that just for pre-orders? TIA

The free gifts (either MMF-3 or 32gb SD Card) were for the 1st round of pre-orders with authorized dealers only. Promo over some time ago already, as far as I am aware.

I actually calculated promo price with free gifts vs 'street price'camera + 'street price' MMF3 ....not much difference.

I actually calculated promo price with free gifts vs 'street price'camera + 'street price' MMF3 ....not much difference.

That would be correct if you ordered from Courts or other retailers that priced it at $1888 RRP. However, if you had pre-ordered from places like TK and SLRR during the promo period, you would pay 'street price' AND get the MMF3 as free gift.

Thanks Bro. I alrdy got the 12 60mm. 2-3sec af can b a pain the rear...heesshh will see when i got it in my hands.

wonglp said:
12-60 is an excellent lens, but you need mmf1/2/3 adapter and the AF is slow (2-3s), and it's huge heavy lens. not so practical i think, unless the IQ is what you are after. 14-54 MKII 2.8-3.5 is also an excellent, less heavy, still large but AF is faster (ard 1s). once a while pop up on BNS

What is the difference between this and the 'comments, critiques, and what-nots' (aka 'user') thread? Trying to figure out what sort of info to post where...

What is the difference between this and the 'comments, critiques, and what-nots' (aka 'user') thread? Trying to figure out what sort of info to post where...

My intention was to combine the [HOT!!!] thread and that "Comments, critiques, and what-nots" thread into this one (which is by the way the brainchild of the moderators). But someone raised some concerns about the consolidation, so that thread stays open (at least for now).

I do hope that this thread can be more focused on the camera itself and host feedback from the users (i.e. like similar-titled threads in the Canon and Nikon forums), so that the other thread can be merged here. The proper repositories are already in place: formal reviews can be posted under the Reviews forum, user comments can come here, sample pictures can be posted in the gallery thread.

Less duplication = easier users to post and look for info! (My engineering mind at work...) Then again, I am not part of the moderation team so this is just the humble opinion of an enthusiastic user.

Last edited:
esoeij said:

Thanks! I guess I'll just wait a bit since the silver is not even available. Maybe there's another Oly promo come PC Show in June :)

Silver OM-D is expected only from 2nd may onwards according to arrive only from 2nd week of May onwards...

From Steven Courts IC...

There's rumors that it may be delayed even further. :(

Something like that was mentioned in the newest post from 43rumors.com

Asia was not mentioned... but.. sigh.

My intention was to combine the [HOT!!!] thread and that "Comments, critiques, and what-nots" thread into this one (which is by the way the brainchild of the moderators). But someone raised some concerns about the consolidation, so that thread stays open (at least for now).

I do hope that this thread can be more focused on the camera itself and host feedback from the users (i.e. like similar-titled threads in the Canon and Nikon forums), so that the other thread can be merged here. The proper repositories are already in place: formal reviews can be posted under the Reviews forum, user comments can come here, sample pictures can be posted in the gallery thread.

Less duplication = easier users to post and look for info! (My engineering mind at work...) Then again, I am not part of the moderation team so this is just the humble opinion of an enthusiastic user.

Why can't user comments go to the other one? It explicitly says 'comments'. I was asking because this in fact seems like a duplication of that one..

Silver OM-D is expected only from 2nd may onwards according to arrive only from 2nd week of May onwards...

From Steven Courts IC...

That's true in some parts of the world, but people are getting silver E-M5s in North America ... but not me yet. :( I'm still waiting. :dunno:

The ISO performance of the E-M5 is really impressive. Turning sharpness to -2 really helps to give images with lesser 'noise' - I am confidently setting my upper ISO limit to be 12,800

My settings are as follows

Noise Filter - Off
Sharpness - minus 2
Gradation - Normal
Picture - Vivid

This works for me, maybe you guys (and gals) will want to share the settings that worked for you too.

cannedpineapples said:
Why can't user comments go to the other one? It explicitly says 'comments'. I was asking because this in fact seems like a duplication of that one..

Yup. You are absolutely right. This thread is a duplication of the user comments thread and the pictures thread. Now this "official" thread as recommended by the moderator is now even less focused containing a hodge podge of photos, comments and miscellaneous stuff. I think its a bad idea. No offence to rhema as he was just following instruction. I tot that before this "official" thread started, everything was quite well organized with a 1. user comments thread, 2. photos thread, 3. accessories thread and a 4. launch thread. I think this thread shd not hv been started in the first place.

Yup. You are absolutely right. This thread is a duplication of the user comments thread and the pictures thread. Now this "official" thread as recommended by the moderator is now even less focused containing a hodge podge of photos, comments and miscellaneous stuff. I think its a bad idea. No offence to rhema as he was just following instruction. I tot that before this "official" thread started, everything was quite well organized with a 1. user comments thread, 2. photos thread, 3. accessories thread and a 4. launch thread. I think this thread shd not hv been started in the first place.

No offence taken, although this thread isn't what I expected. But if I had my way to reorganise the E-M5 related threads, this is what would happen:

1. The launch thread was started in Feb when the camera was announced. It allows potential buyers to discuss and speculate. However that period is history and the camera is shipping. Thus http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/four...s-its-latest-micro4-3-camera-lenses-om-d.html is closed.

2. The review thread already exists in the official reviews forum: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/reviews/1063351-olympus-om-d-e-m5-first-impressions.html. Thus, http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/four...-m5-owner-comments-critique-reviews-nots.html is a duplicate and should be merged with the former.

3. The photos thread already exists in this forum: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/four...llery-]-images-olympus-micro-4-3-cameras.html. Thus, http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/four-thirds-standard-4-3-m43/1077385-pictures-omd-em5.html is a duplicate and should be merged into the former.

4. After the above 3 moves, there is nowhere for potential buyers seek the advice of existing owners. Thus, this thread is opened.

Hop over to the Canon and Nikon forums and you will see roughly the above progression for every single new camera, be it 5D Mk III, G1X, D800. Thus, the only fool-proof way to steer this thread in the right direction is to close the existing threads and force users over here. Once the critical mass is achieved, people will naturally gravitate to this thread. This is exactly what happens in the real world. Bus services are terminated so that commuters will take the newly opened MRT/LRT.

Anyway I am not part of the moderation team so I think I have already gone way beyond my call as a forum user. I am honestly not interested to become the arbitrator between users and moderators; it is a thankless and risky proposition. Therefore, I am going to take my E-M5 out and shoot photos. Peace out!

Last edited:
Been too busy at SAM helping with the CS 10th anniversary weekend activities at SAM

cant really make head or tail of what this consolidation issue is

so re-opening this thread if it helps.....will try to respond on Monday

HEY !! Drop by SAM and say HI on Sunday !!

rhema83 said:
No offence taken, although this thread isn't what I expected. But if I had my way to reorganise the E-M5 related threads, this is what would happen:

1. The launch thread was started in Feb when the camera was announced. It allows potential buyers to discuss and speculate. However that period is history and the camera is shipping. Thus http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/four-thirds-standard-4-3-m43/1043045-%5B-hot-%5D-olympus-announces-its-latest-micro4-3-camera-lenses-om-d.html is closed.

2. The review thread already exists in the official reviews forum: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/reviews/1063351-olympus-om-d-e-m5-first-impressions.html. Thus, http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/four-thirds-standard-4-3-m43/1076960-e-m5-owner-comments-critique-reviews-nots.html is a duplicate and should be merged with the former.

3. The photos thread already exists in this forum: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/four-thirds-standard-4-3-m43/617753-%5B-gallery-%5D-images-olympus-micro-4-3-cameras.html. Thus, http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/four-thirds-standard-4-3-m43/1077385-pictures-omd-em5.html is a duplicate and should be merged into the former.

4. After the above 3 moves, there is nowhere for potential buyers seek the advice of existing owners. Thus, this thread is opened.

Hop over to the Canon and Nikon forums and you will see roughly the above progression for every single new camera, be it 5D Mk III, G1X, D800. Thus, the only fool-proof way to steer this thread in the right direction is to close the existing threads and force users over here. Once the critical mass is achieved, people will naturally gravitate to this thread. This is exactly what happens in the real world. Bus services are terminated so that commuters will take the newly opened MRT/LRT.

Anyway I am not part of the moderation team so I think I have already gone way beyond my call as a forum user. I am honestly not interested to become the arbitrator between users and moderators; it is a thankless and risky proposition. Therefore, I am going to take my E-M5 out and shoot photos. Peace out!

We have a healthy user reviews thread. It it pointless to restart one just to call it official. The reason this happened is bec the thread was relatively unmoderated during this time when em5 was launched. I din see any mods contributing just the usual bunch of people. No offence to the mods, but I thk everyone was pretty good and well behaved and started reasonable threads. As for a user review thread, we already have one that is very healthy, as well as a very healthy accessories thread. Someone started a battery thread and I thk it's doing ok. If u wanna combine the photos thread, that's ok too, but I thk the em5 deserves its own photos thread. So wat is the role of this official thread? The official title is nebulous and what u will end up with is a big mess in this official thread and it will end up very long and unfocused. And to add to the insult, the mod hinted that the other threads will be closed!? I think that's quite uncalled for. Since microcosm has gone, 4/3 forum has been dying. Thank goodness for em5, there is a lot of activity. And the activity is good until this official thread came up and people went "huh?" So, we should just close this thread and if u feel like we need an official thread, rename one of the threads to "official" but mods please do not delete or close any of the ongoing active threads. People still find value in those threads and there is a lot of good info there people have taken the time to contribute and post photos. Anyway, nothing against rhema, but why are you working for the mod? Anyway, hope this clarifies things for ed who juz came in. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.