Official Canon 550D User Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi...a general rule of thumb...these "super" zooms are poor in IQ, barrel distortion etc etc...all bad. From 18-250, you definitely ought to chance lenses! Can't have the best of both worlds without losing some things... :lovegrin:

If u ask me.. the 70-200 is the most delicious thing ever. except it is L. except. it is pricey.
Hahaha! Top up the 17-55 // 15-85 and done.

Hahaha..just joking..it's just my own wishlist :bsmilie:

ps. i suggest u do a google search and see if the reviews are acceptable to you :)

how about 17-85 IS USM ? ;p
decided to change my standard kit 18-55mm to that lens
but still confuse about the functionality and price :bsmilie:

I had a 8 section tripod that can be a table tripod and extend to 1m tall, but not for heavy lens. Fit into my interior of my backpack. Use it more on my S5 IS actually.

What brand/model is that? Looks like it folds up quite short. Can it hold up to 1kg? I am looking for a tripod that can fit into a smallish backpack, 1m extended height is OK.

Hey all.. I was at daiso and saw silica gel selling for 2 bucks.. But it's for food? Can we use it too for the cams and lens?
Better if you invest in a dry box. Much better if a dry cabinet. ;)
Just did some shoots at my niece's birthday. Boy no flash so limiting! Not to mention no fast lens or anything with a closer min focus for the food products.
i want that 580EX II...then I want that 70-200mm f/2.8 MkII ...and lastly that 100mm prime for macro. XD
BBB virus ah! Haha!
You might also want to consider 17-55 2.8 or 24-70L for indoor events like that, rather than teles ;)

Check with you guys, normally shutter speed is follow the rule 1/focal length?

Yup correct ~ applies for Full frame. Since our body is 1.6crop, shld be 1/focal length*1.6

so at the 50 mm prime it's 1/80 secs.
Of course, for IS they say can reduce 3-4 stops...means can use slower.

Better if you invest in a dry box. Much better if a dry cabinet. ;)
BBB virus ah! Haha!
You might also want to consider 17-55 2.8 or 24-70L for indoor events like that, rather than teles ;)

Haha, I would like the 17-55, except someday - someday i might just go fullframe. (and I'm not too sure if my decision to go canon was right >< self-doubt. Hahaha)

Hi Guys,

i recently just bought a Sunblitz CPL to test out on my 550D.
Well, it works in removing reflection from water and glass surface, only that the 'blue blue sky effect' isn't very much noticeable.

So could it be due to the 'cheapo' filter? Or does with/without multi-coating affects the output in anyway other than multi-coat will cause it to be less susceptible to flare?

And bros using the GSS screen protector, can check if it is easily removable should it is damage?

Thanks!

And bros using the GSS screen protector, can check if it is easily removable should it is damage?

Thanks!
according to the manual, it's very clean and easy to remove it.. no damage at all..but never tried before

according to the manual, it's very clean and easy to remove it.. no damage at all..but never tried before

It took me two attempts before finally applying the screen protector correctly. I can tell that it's really hard to remove and I was afraid the stickiness would be gone. Fortunately it went fine and no damage whatsoever to the screen.

any updates for the batt grip BGE8 + LPE8 ? best bargain price?
:confused:

hdr2h.jpg

hdr1e.jpg

My first noob HDR shot :embrass:

Last edited:
heeyou never wash your motorbike? how come grey spots on it?;p

did anyone try the 3rd party batt from alan photo? im going sim lim today so thinking of dropping by to get it.

btw, to anyone who saw my post on me getting an Err 20 on my newly bought 550D... sent to canon for repair and they changed the shutter unit for me. it was only 2-3 days old. and i took <30 shots.

Nice attempt blueacidic ;p

Composition is okay, but perhaps go alittle lower for the drama feel?

Btw the lighting there is overhead, perhaps some fill lights would be good?
I'd suggest taking up a book on photography lighting especially for still life, portrait! really makes a big diff! Like..a basic flash unit (which i am saving for too!), or even el-cheapo lighting techniques like using window light, reflectors. Recently I was trying out light painting to give that off camera look. (poor student what to do LOL)

4598462947_0b2f4d17ba.jpg

Looks more correct on my monitor at home than the one at office (exposure and lighting).
My friend say's it's creepy LOL

Last edited:

I'd suggest taking up a book on photography lighting especially for still life, portrait! really makes a big diff! Like..a basic flash unit (which i am saving for too!), or even el-cheapo lighting techniques like using window light, reflectors. Recently I was trying out light painting to give that off camera look. (poor student what to do LOL)

Looks more correct on my monitor at home than the one at office (exposure and lighting).

Thanks for your advice. Did up portraiture shots there but didn't upload them yet.. :bsmilie:

anyone using CS5 and tried content aware? i tried, sometimes i'm able to remove an object from the picture without a trace, but if the object is relatively big, it cant be remove as easily

any tips or advice?

i think it looks cute!

img2687lm.jpg

fellow 550D mates, can CnC this pic for me? :embrass:

I think better if you post in CnC got more response from the pros !

Great pose I think! Trying rule of thirds here...I think composition okay!
Focus is nice and all, but a bit soft.

I think the lighting abit bland. Shot when the sun is high? Could try getting a reflector to bring out the texture (i just got mine pretty cheap from ebay!)

When I go home i go find the book I'm reading now (borrowed from library) on lighting. Really good tips!

or can try this out:
http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/

for me just doing the studying until i save enough for a 580EX II ><

i think it looks cute!

Haha thanks! Actually, it was pitch dark when I was shooting this. Then use a lao pok torchlight that doesn't use batteries ( mus squeeze manually ) .. gave me goosebumps :sweat:

Yeah i know post CnC can get more response, but well, before posting there i would like to seek a couple of CnCs from fellow 550D mates thus posting here.

And posting in CnC require the mod to approve else it won't be up.

Status
Not open for further replies.