Official Canon 550D User Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
thewickedgirl : might want to check out flash techniques...think currently only the 580EX series for canon able to have Stroboscopic flash // Multi Mode allowing you to have that multi exposure look.

I think multi-exposure is mostly used for landscape, and flash is not very useful in this case. However, 580EX II is a dedicated flash, should have if you like portrait photo. Another option is Nissin 866pro, much cheaper, similar function, though noisier.

LOL ~ I realised the confusion now.

thewickedgirl : might want to check out flash techniques...think currently only the 580EX series for canon able to have Stroboscopic flash // Multi Mode allowing you to have that multi exposure look.

In 550D body function wise...no cannot :)

Hi everyone,

Just got my 550D few days ago, love it very much:thumbsup:

No, 550D doesn't have this function. Multi-exposure is different from Auto Bracketing. It takes 2 exposure on 1 image, while auto bracketing takes 3 images at 3 exposures (correct, under and over exposure). For example, this function is useful when you want to take a photo of building and moon in the evening.:D

haha ok thanks anyway. thanks for guiding me to this thread as well

haha ok..

yes possible. The Auto Bracketing function.

Alright, noted.

Can't combine and do it on camera itself but by using HDR programs like Photomatix will assist you in doing so.

hookay, thanks everyone for your help :)

I think multi-exposure is mostly used for landscape, and flash is not very useful in this case. However, 580EX II is a dedicated flash, should have if you like portrait photo. Another option is Nissin 866pro, much cheaper, similar function, though noisier.

Now I'm not sure if you're confused or I'm confused. Well it all depends on what thewickedgirl is actually asking.

Like MARK1992 said (i thought he said you got it oO) multi-exposure is 2 exposures in one shot. Like those ghastly pictures of the same person in two places of the picture..like a ghost.

Bracketing or AEB is indeed used for landscape like you said..

So..it all depends on what "multi-exposure" she's talking about:

[Does anyone knows whether, our camera is able to take multi-exposure pictures? ]

Now I'm not sure if you're confused or I'm confused. Well it all depends on what thewickedgirl is actually asking.

Like MARK1992 said (i thought he said you got it oO) multi-exposure is 2 exposures in one shot. Like those ghastly pictures of the same person in two places of the picture..like a ghost.

Bracketing or AEB is indeed used for landscape like you said..

So..it all depends on what "multi-exposure" she's talking about:

[Does anyone knows whether, our camera is able to take multi-exposure pictures? ]

Yea he's got it. He's merely stating that a flash for landscapes is next to useless.

There is no "depending" on "Multi-exposures". Multi-exposure is when a frame of film or the sensor is exposed to multiple scenes. Bracketing is when the scene is taken with different exposures. Multi-exposure is multi-exposure, bracketing is bracketing.

My my memory serves me, the 550D, or any current Canon dSLRs do not have multi-exposure functions. They do however have AEB.

I believe a similar effect can be achieved by using bulb mode or a long exposure and a black card or a piece of cloth.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Just got my 550D few days ago, love it very much:thumbsup:

No, 550D doesn't have this function. Multi-exposure is different from Auto Bracketing. It takes 2 exposure on 1 image, while auto bracketing takes 3 images at 3 exposures (correct, under and over exposure). For example, this function is useful when you want to take a photo of building and moon in the evening.

This chap's got it.

TBH I don't see the reason for the confusion. Its almost akin to saying that aperture's the black plastic strips behind the mirror.

Ic learnt something new today! :cool:

LOL ~ I realised the confusion now.

In 550D body function wise...no cannot

what about 430EX? There's no stroboscopic flash / multi mode function?

Oh, usually when a thread with post hits 1000 and above (50 pages), mods will lock it and create a new one to continue... the previous thread already more then 70 or 80 pages? :)

Really? Ic.. :eek:

Yea he's got it. He's merely stating that a flash for landscapes is next to useless.

There is no "depending" on "Multi-exposures". Multi-exposure is when a frame of film or the sensor is exposed to multiple scenes. Bracketing is when the scene is taken with different exposures. Multi-exposure is multi-exposure, bracketing is bracketing.

My my memory serves me, the 550D, or any current Canon dSLRs do not have multi-exposure functions. They do however have AEB.

I believe a similar effect can be achieved by using bulb mode or a long exposure and a black card or a piece of cloth.

Thanks for the explanation. Did help me alot :)

Ic learnt something new today! :cool:

what about 430EX? There's no stroboscopic flash / multi mode function?

Really? Ic.. :eek:

Yeah, the 430 EX doesn't have that function :bsmilie:

I think the application is rare lah...most commonly when you want to capture motion, or just that effect. Novelty thing if you ask me :bsmilie:

So just an interest check for 580EX II anyone? I'm still looking for someone who can help buy from HK if going to holiday...else I'll settle for BH mass order (3 ppl above for best savings)

I think you meant AEB for landscape?

Thanks chap, you got what I meant. Flash can not make multiple exposure landscape.

I think you meant AEB for landscape?

You may confuse about multi-exposure. Hope that this link will be useful for you:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Multiple-exposure-landscapes-13401

Multi-exposure can be also used for shooting people faces, movements. But in these cases, photoshop will be faster and easier to achieve what you want. That why I said that multi-exposure is mostly used for landscape.

Nono, same idea..but I didn't think of using multi-exposure that way lol!

Yeah, the 430 EX doesn't have that function :bsmilie:

I think the application is rare lah...most commonly when you want to capture motion, or just that effect. Novelty thing if you ask me :bsmilie:

So just an interest check for 580EX II anyone? I'm still looking for someone who can help buy from HK if going to holiday...else I'll settle for BH mass order (3 ppl above for best savings)

Exact pricing for the 580EX II if ordering together with BH Mass order?

Thanks chap, you got what I meant. Flash can not make multiple exposure landscape.

You may confuse about multi-exposure. Hope that this link will be useful for you:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Multiple-exposure-landscapes-13401

Multi-exposure can be also used for shooting people faces, movements. But in these cases, photoshop will be faster and easier to achieve what you want. That why I said that multi-exposure is mostly used for landscape.

but can't be done on canon right? :(

I still see most ppl use multi-exposure for that ghost effect though...landscapes is the new thing for me :bsmilie:

nope... so no idea about that yet. haa...

anyone went for the canon free dslr training? where is it at ?

Its at Canon CSC itself.. just that its at first floor where u collect the freebies .. i went for it abt 1.5 months ago

Status
Not open for further replies.