Nikon Z6 and Z7 Full-Frame Mirrorless

Which one do you want ?

• Nikon Z6, I am looking for a King in Low Light Photography

• Nikon Z7, I am a Pixel Peeper

• None of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.

Not too optimistic that Canon will lead overall....they are playing catch up game now.
T'was just a light-hearted guess at how things might shake out. But I actually do think Canon will continue to be market share leaders although I think the gap will be much closer this time.
Maybe a 30:30:20:20 spread? Fill-in who takes what share :D
But overall including APS-C, DSLRs etc. I think Canon will firmly still be market share leaders.

Any news when NIKKOR Z 35MM F/1.8 S will be available in the shops

T'was just a light-hearted guess at how things might shake out. But I actually do think Canon will continue to be market share leaders although I think the gap will be much closer this time.
Maybe a 30:30:20:20 spread? Fill-in who takes what share :D
But overall including APS-C, DSLRs etc. I think Canon will firmly still be market share leaders.

So are you talking about technology or market share? Confused...
4K video - canon left behind
IBIS - canon left behind
Canon perhaps good in touch AF and touch UI/Menu... However others not far away.

I must agree with you in that I do see both the Z6 and Z7 prioritising existing F-mount users.
However what you should also consider is that many aspects of catering to F-mount users means a continued evolution of a very matured system of body ergonomics, user interface as well as photographically important functions.
Things like the EVF experience. Specs alone doesn’t tell the story and you’d really need to experience it to decide whether it is important to you. For this level of camera, it is of vital importance to me.

I guess you will need to decide on what specs are relevant to you but if I catch your drift, you are saying you’re only starting your photography journey so you may not know, yet. Or do you mean you’re just new to mirrorless?

The good news is there’re almost no wrong decisions and they’re all really incredibly capable cameras, and my bet is within about 2 years you’re gonna see four incredibly capable systems in FF mirrorless even though all but one system are just starting out today. You’ll develop muscle memory to whatever your chosen system is and the question of ergonomics will largely become moot.
My advice is to pick one and stick with it. Unless all you do is buy a kit lens. In which case switch all you like :D

And a bit of fun. At the risk of overgeneralizing, my prediction is that:
Sony will lead in sensor tech
Nikon will lead optically
L-mount will provide the most variety of differing niches. Luxury, video, quirky Fovean etc.
Canon will lead overall

I would like to clarify that I'm totally new to photography. But now I have done adequate research mainly on mirrorless ff ccameras.

My interest perhaps lies in learning photography + having a camera for travel + light cinematic videos for YouTube (no vlogging).

Trying to find the perfect camera for the above is a headache :/

Ergonomics wise, I find canon, nikon and Sony grip about the same while fujifilm one abit uncomfortable. Can't speak about the dials/buttons because I haven't used any (other than a d700 nikon borrowed from my uncle currently)

Waiting to see how the price compares to Sony too!

I too was deciding between Nikon (Z7 + kit lense) vs Sony (A7iii + GM lense) and I end up ordered A7iii last week.

For me, I don't want to wait for 2 years to have the 3 Nikon native lenses. I plan to get a good lense and change body as and when new ones comes out (if budget allows).

Oh.. and I must clarify
I too was deciding between Nikon (Z7 + kit lense) vs Sony (A7iii + GM lense) and I end up ordered A7iii last week.

For me, I don't want to wait for 2 years to have the 3 Nikon native lenses. I plan to get a good lense and change body as and when new ones comes out (if budget allows).

Forget to mentioned I have limited Nikon lenses so it’s easier for me to switch to Sony though I still prefer Nikon grip...

Just curious, where did you order your a7iii? Currently out of stock most of the places :(

Yes, waiting for Z6

I am also waiting for Z6 pre-order to open.
I asked at Plaza Sing last week but the Nikon guy said the pre-order has not been opened yet.

Any news when NIKKOR Z 35MM F/1.8 S will be available in the shops

Any news when NIKKOR Z 50MM F/1.8 S will be available in the shops ?

So are you talking about technology or market share? Confused...
4K video - canon left behind
IBIS - canon left behind
Canon perhaps good in touch AF and touch UI/Menu... However others not far away.

Both actually. I think each mount might edge ahead in one area or another. For Canon, despite many feeling they’re holding back in tech, I think they’ll still lead in market share.

Just curious, where did you order your a7iii? Currently out of stock most of the places :(

Alan photo. put deposit and say mid this month stock will come.. together with the lenses.

I would like to clarify that I'm totally new to photography. But now I have done adequate research mainly on mirrorless ff ccameras.

My interest perhaps lies in learning photography + having a camera for travel + light cinematic videos for YouTube (no vlogging).

Trying to find the perfect camera for the above is a headache :/

Ergonomics wise, I find canon, nikon and Sony grip about the same while fujifilm one abit uncomfortable. Can't speak about the dials/buttons because I haven't used any (other than a d700 nikon borrowed from my uncle currently)
Others may define it a little differently but I use ergonomics to describe how well it fits in the hand, especially for prolonged use.
And UI as how you go about interacting with the camera, including control placements, menu systems etc. How fast you can change settings on the fly once you’ve configured your camera.
But like I said before, as long as it’s not totally disagreeable with you, you tend to develop muscle memory and pretty soon whatever system you picked becomes natural so don’t worry too much about it.
It’s mainly an issue for some dual system users like myself. I confuse myself a little sometimes going between cameras and find that I can never operate my secondary system as quick as my primary one.

That’s fair enough.
But to clarify, it’s 12 lenses on the Z roadmap in the next 2 years, all S line.
It’s 3 lenses shipped by end of 2018.
This doesn’t include the blank spaces left out on the 2020 schedule.

That’s fair enough.
But to clarify, it’s 12 lenses on the Z roadmap in the next 2 years, all S line.
It’s 3 lenses shipped by end of 2018.
This doesn’t include the blank spaces left out on the 2020 schedule.

I was targeting 14-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8. 24 and 85 f1.4 not listed :(

I was targeting 14-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8. 24 and 85 f1.4 not listed :(
24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 are both next year. 14-24/2.8 is 2020.
But you’re right no 85/1.4, only the f/1.8 next year.
Does Sony have a 14-24? Or are you happy with the E-mount Sigma ART version?

Sorry I didn’t see the 24/1.4 in your list but I can’t edit my previous message anymore. Yea, it does seem like Nikon are starting with the f/1.8 prime line first with the 20/24/35/50/85 f/1.8’s all on the roadmap.
The faster AF primes looks to only be starting in 2020 with the 50/1.2 but there’s a fair bet the rest of that prime line will be f/1.2’s too though.

you better start hanging onto bars of hdb building to stretch your hands, anyway 55mm diameter .... they are never gonna make small lens or something unique. Seems like all their new mount lens are gonna be bigger than their current mount lol

you better start hanging onto bars of hdb building to stretch your hands, anyway 55mm diameter .... they are never gonna make small lens or something unique. Seems like all their new mount lens are gonna be bigger than their current mount lol

Canon EOS R also use 54mm lens mount diameter. I don't think 1mm will create a huge difference on the lens size.

Z lenses are relatively bigger than the dslr lenses, because NIkon wants to make Z lenses with the highest quality as possible. Not because of the lens mount diameter.

Canon EOS R also use 54mm lens mount diameter. I don't think 1mm will create a huge difference on the lens size.

Z lenses are relatively bigger than the dslr lenses, because NIkon wants to make Z lenses with the highest quality as possible. Not because of the lens mount diameter.

Doesn't that defeat one of the purported advantages of mirrorless, I.e smaller size?

Reactions: simon6z