Nikon Z6 and Z7 Full-Frame Mirrorless

Which one do you want ?

• Nikon Z6, I am looking for a King in Low Light Photography

• Nikon Z7, I am a Pixel Peeper

• None of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.

Z7 is more expensive than A7r III and EOS R.
Just the body only, it is more than S$ 4K.

However, we choose Nikon Z because we love the feel of the Nikon instead of saving money, right ?

A7riii is $4699, so Z7 is not far off.
Looking forward good price for Z6.

Nikon Z7 price:
  • Z 7 + Z 24-70mm f/4 S: SGD$5,799
  • Z 7 + FTZ Mount Adapter: SGD$5,149
  • Z 7 + Z 24-70mm f/4 S + FTZ: SGD$6,049

Canon EOS R Price:
  • EOS R body - S$3,399
  • EOS R Kit (RF 24–105 F/4L USM) - S$5,098
  • RF 24–105 F4L IS USM - S$1,699
  • RF 28–70 F2L USM - TBA
  • RF 50 F1.2L USM - S$3,649
  • Mount Adapter EF-EOS R - S$159
  • Control Ring Mount Adapter - S$319
  • BG-E22 Battery Grip - S$469

Let's make a body kit comparison:
  • EOS R Kit (RF 24–105 F/4L USM) - S$5,098
Take note that Z 7 is 45.7 Megapixels, while EOS R is 30.3 Megapixels.
So basically, by topping up S$700 on top of EOS R price, you will get a Z7 already !
Hence, in my opinion that EOS R kit is quite expensive.

I think that Z 6 kit will be a lot cheaper than EOS R Kit !

Last edited:
Just curious, any idea whether pricing of the a7iii would drop in December during sales/due to z6 competition?

If it does, might swing towards purchasing the Sony.

Also, heard that stocks for a7iii is difficult to find nowadays. Any idea when the stocks would be more readily available?

Nikon Z7 price:

Based on these, let me forecast :cool::cool::

• Z 6 + Z 24-70mm f/4 S: SGD$3,799
  • Z 6 + FTZ Mount Adapter: SGD$3,299
  • Z 6 + Z 24-70mm f/4 S + FTZ: SGD$4,049

The official price for Z7 is:

Hence, I predict the Z6 price will be slightly lesser than your forecast, as highlighted in RED:
  • Z 6 + Z 24-70mm f/4 S: SGD$3,799
  • Z 6 + FTZ Mount Adapter: SGD$3,149
  • Z 6 + Z 24-70mm f/4 S + FTZ: SGD$4,049

9e9.gif

For Z6 !

Just curious, any idea whether pricing of the a7iii would drop in December during sales/due to z6 competition?

If it does, might swing towards purchasing the Sony.

Also, heard that stocks for a7iii is difficult to find nowadays. Any idea when the stocks would be more readily available?

For me, it is a no-brainer to choose Nikon Z, because of the following factors:
1. I have already owned Nikon lenses.
2. I get used to Nikon menu selections
3. I like Nikon Z buttons/controls and comfortable/ergonomics.
4. I love and always love Nikon color.
5. I have already owned Lexar XQD Cards.
6. Nikon Z has one of the best, if not, it has the best EVF currently in the market.
7. I want IBIS. When I attach Nikon Z with Nikon 85 1.4 or 105 1.4 to the Nikon Z, Voila ! The lens is stabilized !

The absence of Eye-AF or Dual Card Slot or Swivel (selfie) LCD are not an issue at all to me.

Yes, the local prices are revealed for the:
1. Z7
2. Z7 + 24-70
3. Z7 + 24-70 + FTZ adapter
However, there is no printed price list.
You need to ask directly to the Nikon Staff over there.

A friend got the last combo at S$6k.

For me, it is a no-brainer to choose Nikon Z, because of the following factors:
1. I have already owned Nikon lenses.
2. I get used to Nikon menu selections
3. I like Nikon Z buttons/controls and comfortable/ergonomics.
4. I love and always love Nikon color.
5. I have already owned Lexar XQD Cards.
6. Nikon Z has one of the best, if not, it has the best EVF currently in the market.
7. I want IBIS. When I attach Nikon Z with Nikon 85 1.4 or 105 1.4 to the Nikon Z, Voila ! The lens is stabilized !

The absence of Eye-AF or Dual Card Slot or Swivel (selfie) LCD are not an issue at all to me.

Seems to me that points 1-5 is relevant to those already invested.

But if you were new to photography and wish to get your first mirrorless, not many factors would compel me to go for Nikon i guess...

That's the reason why I am still on the fence between Nikon & Sony Full Frame Mirrorless

But if you were new to photography and wish to get your first mirrorless, not many factors would compel me to go for Nikon i guess...

That's the reason why I am still on the fence between Nikon & Sony Full Frame Mirrorless

Haha. Then I suggest that you go to Plaza Singapura and try NIkon Z yourselves whether you like it or not.
The Nikon staff is friendly and is more than willing to assist you.

Frankly speaking, I go there the whole weekend to test the Nikon Z.

Haha. Then I suggest that you go to Plaza Singapura and try NIkon Z yourselves whether you like it or not.
The Nikon staff is friendly and is more than willing to assist you.

Frankly speaking, I go there the whole weekend to test the Nikon Z.

So what is your conclusion after trying Z7 for long time?

Getting a interchangeable lens camera is also getting into a system, and have to consider lenses, flashes, remotes etc, maybe also costs

I agree Sony cameras does have an edge as it's already into it's 3rd generation for mirrorless. However Nikon's edge currently is in it's ecosystem. No doubt there are a lot of adapters for Sony system, and they will be expanding their line-up, but Nikon, Canon and others will also be improving their full frame mirrorless cameras shortly

Competition is good for consumers :)

So what is your conclusion after trying Z7 for long time?

My conclusion: If you like it, don't think, just buy.
If budget is an issue and you rarely print your photos, then Z6 is a better choice than Z7.

Based on the BHPhoto price, Z6 price is around S$ 2000 cheaper than Z7.

Getting a interchangeable lens camera is also getting into a system, and have to consider lenses, flashes, remotes etc, maybe also costs

I agree Sony cameras does have an edge as it's already into it's 3rd generation for mirrorless. However Nikon's edge currently is in it's ecosystem. No doubt there are a lot of adapters for Sony system, and they will be expanding their line-up, but Nikon, Canon and others will also be improving their full frame mirrorless cameras shortly

Competition is good for consumers :)

Yup I agree competition is good in the long run. Only worry I have is that the next gen of nikon mirrorless maybe more on par with Sony than what is being offered now and I might regret my purchase later on....

Eco system is undoubtedly important but what stands out to me is that nikon seems to favour current users more than potential new users with their ftz mount and expensive S lens (Not that that is wrong) but merely focusing on current users seems to neglect those who are looking at their first full frame mirrorless (like me).

Sony on the other hand price their a7iii super attractively while saying hey let's bring those good relevant specs down to a7iii.

All these being said, I'm glad to be looking at this revolution going forward. What an exciting time to start photography (except deciding which mirrorless camera to go for)

Cheers

My conclusion: If you like it, don't think, just buy.
If budget is an issue and you rarely print your photos, then Z6 is a better choice than Z7.

Based on the BHPhoto price, Z6 price is around S$ 2000 cheaper than Z7.

Yes, waiting for Z6

Yup I agree competition is good in the long run. Only worry I have is that the next gen of nikon mirrorless maybe more on par with Sony than what is being offered now and I might regret my purchase later on....

Eco system is undoubtedly important but what stands out to me is that nikon seems to favour current users more than potential new users with their ftz mount and expensive S lens (Not that that is wrong) but merely focusing on current users seems to neglect those who are looking at their first full frame mirrorless (like me).

Sony on the other hand price their a7iii super attractively while saying hey let's bring those good relevant specs down to a7iii.

All these being said, I'm glad to be looking at this revolution going forward. What an exciting time to start photography (except deciding which mirrorless camera to go for)

Cheers

I must agree with you in that I do see both the Z6 and Z7 prioritising existing F-mount users.
However what you should also consider is that many aspects of catering to F-mount users means a continued evolution of a very matured system of body ergonomics, user interface as well as photographically important functions.
Things like the EVF experience. Specs alone doesn’t tell the story and you’d really need to experience it to decide whether it is important to you. For this level of camera, it is of vital importance to me.

I guess you will need to decide on what specs are relevant to you but if I catch your drift, you are saying you’re only starting your photography journey so you may not know, yet. Or do you mean you’re just new to mirrorless?

The good news is there’re almost no wrong decisions and they’re all really incredibly capable cameras, and my bet is within about 2 years you’re gonna see four incredibly capable systems in FF mirrorless even though all but one system are just starting out today. You’ll develop muscle memory to whatever your chosen system is and the question of ergonomics will largely become moot.
My advice is to pick one and stick with it. Unless all you do is buy a kit lens. In which case switch all you like :D

And a bit of fun. At the risk of overgeneralizing, my prediction is that:
Sony will lead in sensor tech
Nikon will lead optically
L-mount will provide the most variety of differing niches. Luxury, video, quirky Fovean etc.
Canon will lead overall

I must agree with you in that I do see both the Z6 and Z7 prioritising existing F-mount users.
However what you should also consider is that many aspects of catering to F-mount users means a continued evolution of a very matured system of body ergonomics, user interface as well as photographically important functions.
Things like the EVF experience. Specs alone doesn’t tell the story and you’d really need to experience it to decide whether it is important to you. For this level of camera, it is of vital importance to me.

I guess you will need to decide on what specs are relevant to you but if I catch your drift, you are saying you’re only starting your photography journey so you may not know, yet. Or do you mean you’re just new to mirrorless?

The good news is there’re almost no wrong decisions and they’re all really incredibly capable cameras, and my bet is within about 2 years you’re gonna see four incredibly capable systems in FF mirrorless even though all but one system are just starting out today. You’ll develop muscle memory to whatever your chosen system is and the question of ergonomics will largely become moot.
My advice is to pick one and stick with it. Unless all you do is buy a kit lens. In which case switch all you like :D

And a bit of fun. At the risk of overgeneralizing, my prediction is that:
Sony will lead in sensor tech
Nikon will lead optically
L-mount will provide the most variety of differing niches. Luxury, video, quirky Fovean etc.
Canon will lead overall

Not too optimistic that Canon will lead overall....they are playing catch up game now.