Nikon FM2

The repair manual makes it look like fixing this camera is very complicated. :bigeyes:
But if you will have the chance to see a repairman in action, you will discover that there's a lot of tricks and shortcut to do the fix

Bro fatique,I respect your experience and skills,from your picture you have your method of diassembly organisation and using a cloth platfrom
avoids tiny screws from rolling away and placing parts removed in a sequence that takes memory and organisation a first timer not likely to have mastered apart from having the correct tools. :) No harm if he wants to try.We all learn along the way.

BTW,at one site someone said FM2 is known for it's legendary reliability so you won't find or need the repair manual. :) Perhaps he had not heard of Murphy's, law " Anything that can go wrong will go wrong".

Last edited:
Wow,the hammer is actually known as film advance lever and the dial thingy is called shutter speed dial.It's hard to tell
exactly until you disassemble the camera.Could be a jammed part or worse broken for which there are no spares unless you can cannibalise another body.You could ask for a repair quote.Anyway download FM2 repair manual just to see the mechanicals.I don't think you should try it unless you're prepared to junk it if you make a mistake.

FM2 service manual:
Nikon FM2 Camera Service Manual

Thanks for your reply. I was actually selling this model as my daddy gave up his camera hobby quite awhile back and sold most of the SLRs already to people here. I brought this model and let this guy play with, before that, I tried to test check 1 last time and I could easily **** the hammer and shoot quite alot of times. At the same time, I turn the dial thingy to each number, **** and press the button also no issues.

When the guy was testing, I don't know what he did too as I just looked at him playing with it. I have 0 knowledge on all these camera equipments. After a few minutes, he told me the model is a spoiled one and requested me selling to him at half price since its already spoiled. I declined and took the mrt back. I think he see me like a young poly student that's why wanna makan me or what. The interested buyer seems quite old to me. :(

Thanks for your reply. I was actually selling this model as my daddy gave up his camera hobby quite awhile back and sold most of the SLRs already to people here. I brought this model and let this guy play with, before that, I tried to test check 1 last time and I could easily **** the hammer and shoot quite alot of times. At the same time, I turn the dial thingy to each number, **** and press the button also no issues.

When the guy was testing, I don't know what he did too as I just looked at him playing with it. I have 0 knowledge on all these camera equipments. After a few minutes, he told me the model is a spoiled one and requested me selling to him at half price since its already spoiled. I declined and took the mrt back. I think he see me like a young poly student that's why wanna makan me or what. The interested buyer seems quite old to me. :(

I think he purposely misalign the film advance lever and shutter speed dial to "jam" the cam.The prices on ebay may be added attraction for him.Sorry you met a scammer who took advantage of you.Try opening the film cover,press the film release botton at the bottom and use you fingers to rotate the film sprocket cylinder at the right side that takes up the film as you expose the frames. gently in reverse or forwards and see if the mechanism can realign itself. Good luck.

EDit: Pull up the rewind knob at the left top side to open cover.Try to crank the film advance lever gently with the film release button pressed also.

Last edited:

Bro fatique,I respect your experience and skills,from your picture you have your method of diassembly organisation and using a cloth platfrom
avoids tiny screws from rolling away and placing parts removed in a sequence that takes memory and organisation a first timer not likely to have mastered apart from having the correct tools. :) No harm if he wants to try.We all learn along the way.

BTW,at one site someone said FM2 is known for it's legendary reliability so you won't find or need the repair manual. :) Perhaps he had not heard of Murphy's, law " Anything that can go wrong will go wrong".

You've got a very powerful observation skills!
Yes, that's one trick so you don't have to remember all the sequence. Although most camera repairman knows FM2 parts on the back of their hand, it's better to do it in a systematic way. If not, you may end up with extra screw or putting the wrong screw in the wrong place. And also try to keep your workplace clean.

I don't use this table anymore. After I started accepting electronic lenses and DSLRs, I have upgraded to ESD safe workbench :)

Here's another trick. Just in case anyone has tried to dismantle the mirror box.
To reassemble, you need to ensure a lever in the mirror box and a lever in the shutter has to be engaged. A simple string will do the trick. Pull the string on one end once the levers are engaged.
DSCN7406.jpg

Just like what One Eye Jack mentioned, this is known for it's legendary reliability. It's not easy to get it jammed unless you poke the shutter blades. You can try to charge fully the advance lever (the hammer) to confirm if the guy tried to pull a quick one. He could have charged the lever halfway and make it look like the shutter is not releasing. That's the only way i think you can fool the camera.

But I suspect a different case. The buyer have tested the camera at different shutter speeds ( he adjusted the dial thingy). Usually, if the camera is kept for too long, problems will mostlikely to appear at slow shutter speeds. I believe your camera jammed at slow shutter speed or maybe the self timer got stucked.
I always travel from Bishan to Bedok after work. You can meet me at any mrt stations along the way. I can check your camera FOC. (check only :) )

Last edited:
Hi fatigue, I recently bought a FM2 and notice when i turn the shutter dial, the clicks seems to be not locking directly (e.g. when i turn from 60 to 30). It appears to be 2 clicks to turn it. When seeing through the viewfinder, the numbers do not appear to be aligned straight also. This occurs when turning from small shutter numbers to bigger numbers, it does not happen when I turn it the other way round.

Do you happen to have any idea what may be the issue?

You've got a very powerful observation skills!
Yes, that's one trick so you don't have to remember all the sequence. Although most camera repairman knows FM2 parts on the back of their hand, it's better to do it in a systematic way. If not, you may end up with extra screw or putting the wrong screw in the wrong place. And also try to keep your workplace clean.

I don't use this table anymore. After I started accepting electronic lenses and DSLRs, I have upgraded to ESD safe workbench :)

ESD safe workbench! Bro you very pro man. :) Using ESD wrist straps too?

Hi fatigue, I recently bought a FM2 and notice when i turn the shutter dial, the clicks seems to be not locking directly (e.g. when i turn from 60 to 30). It appears to be 2 clicks to turn it. When seeing through the viewfinder, the numbers do not appear to be aligned straight also. This occurs when turning from small shutter numbers to bigger numbers, it does not happen when I turn it the other way round.

Do you happen to have any idea what may be the issue?

That problem may require opening the camera. A bit difficult to diagnose without seeing the actual condition. Let's hope the glass part of the dial is not damaged

ESD safe workbench! Bro you very pro man. :) Using ESD wrist straps too?
Pardon me for being a bit show off :bsmilie:
Anyway, the whole set up doesn't cost much
static.jpg

2.jpg

This is becoming OT. I seldom accept film camera repairs anymore (unless you're in my FB friends :bsmilie:) There's quite a number of shops out there fixing films cameras. Just in case they don't have the parts, send me a PM. I can introduce you to one of CS advertisers who have boxes of boxes of parts for Nikon film cameras

Last edited:
fatigue said:
This is becoming OT. I seldom accept film camera repairs anymore (unless you're in my FB friends :bsmilie:) There's quite a number of shops out there fixing films cameras. Just in case they don't have the parts, send me a PM. I can introduce you to one of CS advertisers who have boxes of boxes of parts for Nikon film cameras

Wha don't like that leh, we need your help to keep film photography alive. :D

Just like what One Eye Jack mentioned, this is known for it's legendary reliability. It's not easy to get it jammed unless you poke the shutter blades. You can try to charge fully the advance lever (the hammer) to confirm if the guy tried to pull a quick one. He could have charged the lever halfway and make it look like the shutter is not releasing. That's the only way i think you can fool the camera.

But I suspect a different case. The buyer have tested the camera at different shutter speeds ( he adjusted the dial thingy). Usually, if the camera is kept for too long, problems will mostlikely to appear at slow shutter speeds. I believe your camera jammed at slow shutter speed or maybe the self timer got stucked.
I always travel from Bishan to Bedok after work. You can meet me at any mrt stations along the way. I can check your camera FOC. (check only :) )

That would be very kind of you. I can't ask my dad as he's always out of SG. If you don't mind, please PM me your contact number. :)

wenbin0215 said:
B&S is definitely ur best friend here.. I got my FM3a and 50mm from here too..

where is b&s?? website? :/

marcusjairus said:
where is b&s?? website? :/

Haha dude he's talking about the buy and sell section of Clubsnap!

hey! haha okay thanks! i changed phone, could you sms me your numer? thanks

Unscrew the rewind knob from the pin.
Put the pin back in from the inside of camera body. Push upwards. Screw the rewind knob back on to the pin.

Ha ha DIY repair. I used to do it many years ago....... Dont'......

Hi, bump this thread up!

I have a 2 nikon fm2 and both the viewfinder are infected with fungus (not the mirror). Any idea how to remove them or where to get them fixed?
thanks!!

Hi, bump this thread up!

I have a 2 nikon fm2 and both the viewfinder are infected with fungus (not the mirror). Any idea how to remove them or where to get them fixed?
thanks!!
Hi, FM2 got a removal focus screen, try to take it out and see if you can clean it. Sometimes it just some black foam from the prism.