Nikon D3000 vs Canon 1000D. For a beginner

a brand new 1000D = 709 ??? which shop, best denki have ???
do u have smiles point (esso mobil)... 3000 points = 100 bucks off best denki retail price...
buy new is my recommendations for electronics..
alto i always sell my used stuff here... lol...

SLR Revolution at funan quoted me that price when I was in there last week.

SLR Revolution at funan quoted me that price when I was in there last week.

it could be that the camera retailers are all dumping their remaining 1000d inventory. prices could head further south.... :think:

Hmmm... get the K-x, no point getting 1000D.
1st: 1000D is 2yrs old - 709 + 50mm f1.8 $125 frm (Lens also from SLR Rev?:think: Cuz they sold me at $121.) total 834, might as well top-up a bit more and get a better cam. It's like getting Iphone(first version) now when Iphone 4 is released.
2nd:K-x has a video function and defiantly better IQ, ISO. I know you have a separate video cam but sometimes having an additional function is better as might never know when you need it. Its not a loss anyway. :D
3rd: no need worries battery dies off, just go to the nearby 7-eleven get some AAs will do.
4th: more af points, but i find it abit redundant with that crappy no points af screen.
5th: colours which most ladies prefer as compared to the standard dull black bodies.

Usage wise, i felt k-x placed the back thumb dial at a more friendly place as compared to the D5000. Button wise, not much diff from the rest of the entries. It just how well you understand the camera body.

just my 2 cents worth ;)

Hmmm... get the K-x, no point getting 1000D.
1st: 1000D is 2yrs old - 709 + 50mm f1.8 $125 frm (Lens also from SLR Rev?:think: Cuz they sold me at $121.) total 834, might as well top-up a bit more and get a better cam. It's like getting Iphone(first version) now when Iphone 4 is released.
2nd:K-x has a video function and defiantly better IQ, ISO. I know you have a separate video cam but sometimes having an additional function is better as might never know when you need it. Its not a loss anyway. :D
3rd: no need worries battery dies off, just go to the nearby 7-eleven get some AAs will do.
4th: more af points, but i find it abit redundant with that crappy no points af screen.
5th: colours which most ladies prefer as compared to the standard dull black bodies.

Usage wise, i felt k-x placed the back thumb dial at a more friendly place as compared to the D5000. Button wise, not much diff from the rest of the entries. It just how well you understand the camera body.

just my 2 cents worth ;)

yup! I have pretty much settled on getting a k-x. :cool:

but your point 4, the af points are not shown in the viewfinder right? I never had a camera with af points, I just see a bracket in the center that goes green when focused. Multiple AF points, I am assuming that there are a few points and some will go green ? Is this going to be a problem ?

Do you know how does the spot metering work for the k-x? From youtube videos of the 1000D, the spot metering seems to be this spot you move on the live view screen. I don't really like to use live view. Not to worry if you don't wish to answer this, as I am sure I will have fun reading the manual after I get it :D

yup! I have pretty much settled on getting a k-x. :cool:

but your point 4, the af points are not shown in the viewfinder right? I never had a camera with af points, I just see a bracket in the center that goes green when focused. Multiple AF points, I am assuming that there are a few points and some will go green ? Is this going to be a problem ?

Do you know how does the spot metering work for the k-x? From youtube videos of the 1000D, the spot metering seems to be this spot you move on the live view screen. I don't really like to use live view. Not to worry if you don't wish to answer this, as I am sure I will have fun reading the manual after I get it :D

hmm. in dslr it's slightly different, all dslr(except k-x which i known so far) is equipped with af points in the viewfinder in which a red box, dot will be illuminated when the camera is focus at that point.

Example: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos550d/page4.asp for canon, and
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/page4.asp for k-x (note that the boxes in the picture of the viewfinder are just to show where the af points are. the real camera does not have.)

Overall, i feel it not going to be a problem as you could do this but just need some practice to keep subject in focus.: set af point to center -> point camera at subject -> press half shutter button to lock the focus -> recompose picture(dont move front and back, will cause the camera to lose focus) and shoot.

For spot metering, i guess pentax and canon shuld be the same need some pentaxians to cfm with me:D cuz im a canon user. but from what i know that spot metering is where the camera meter the exposure only from the center of the viewfinder, means it does not meter the overall exposure. which means if theres a wall covered in half shadow, you meter the shadow, the cam will say it's under exposed. if you meter the sunny part, it will say it's overexposed.

hopes this helps :D

hmm. in dslr it's slightly different, all dslr(except k-x which i known so far) is equipped with af points in the viewfinder in which a red box, dot will be illuminated when the camera is focus at that point.

Example: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos550d/page4.asp for canon, and
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/page4.asp for k-x (note that the boxes in the picture of the viewfinder are just to show where the af points are. the real camera does not have.)

Overall, i feel it not going to be a problem as you could do this but just need some practice to keep subject in focus.: set af point to center -> point camera at subject -> press half shutter button to lock the focus -> recompose picture(dont move front and back, will cause the camera to lose focus) and shoot.

For spot metering, i guess pentax and canon shuld be the same need some pentaxians to cfm with me:D cuz im a canon user. but from what i know that spot metering is where the camera meter the exposure only from the center of the viewfinder, means it does not meter the overall exposure. which means if theres a wall covered in half shadow, you meter the shadow, the cam will say it's under exposed. if you meter the sunny part, it will say it's overexposed.

hopes this helps :D

It can potentially be a problem if you manually select af points

It can potentially be a problem if you manually select af points

would you consider it a deal breaker and go for one that has af points in the view finder?

would you consider it a deal breaker and go for one that has af points in the view finder?

For my shooting style? Yes. I'd rather spend the extra 100-200 and get a Sony A390 or A500/A550.

I think canon 1000D dont hv spot metering. Possibly the only dslr in the world without spot metering. I consider this a deal breaker for me.

Af point not shown on K-x wont be a deal breaker, but it will be annoying as hell to me since i often change focus points.

I think canon 1000D dont hv spot metering. Possibly the only dslr in the world without spot metering. I consider this a deal breaker for me.

Af point not shown on K-x wont be a deal breaker, but it will be annoying as hell to me since i often change focus points.

What??? That sucks... Like that only left d3000 or sony la...

What??? That sucks... Like that only left d3000 or sony la...

Yup. 1000D do not have spot meter. And all other Canon cameras (except 1D series) only does spot metering in the center af point. While many other brands (including Nikon) can do spot metering at the selected AF point.

So factor that in.

Maybe you can try looking at 550D or 500D (if there is still any on sale).

Cause it's just a couple of hundered more then 1000D or D3000 and it will definitely last long cause of the functionality in 1000D or D3000 is very limited although they are "begginer friendly" cameras you can grasp hold of the basics in a day or 2 if you play around with it.

So after a month or 2 you may feel like the camera have limitations so you may not be able to achieve pictures that you think u can specialize in.

Summary :
500D or 550D for the long haul. Why?
-A camera for begginer and intermediate users
-Covers most needs for any begginers
-Longer lasting

Cons of 1000D or D3000
-Limited functionality range(ISO,etc)
-May get frustrating to use after awhile once you are familiar around the camera.
-Its more of a "casual camera" for family use.

There are several websites that list the differences so you can check.
And the prices are 100~250 dollar difference so its definitely worth the extra buck.

oh no ! more choices !

is it a better bang for buck camera than the K-x ?

Actually I am quite worried that the K-x is not as user friendly (dedicated buttons for setting the aperture, iso, shutter speed etc). I have yet to check one out in person, went to courts and the sales guy was like "why you want to buy pentax ! that is so old technology you know. nobody buys pentax anymore ! buy olympus !" Grr i hate such pushy hard salesmen.

Whoever told you buy Olympus instead of Pentax should be shot. :bsmilie:
If you are going the micro four third (smaller cameras, smaller lenses, more portable), go Panasonic GF1 instead. You will thank me for choosing a system with faster focusing with Liveview later on... especially when trying to focus on kid with the @#$% Oly slow focusing system.

You also should be going to camera shops instead of Courts, where the sales people are... sales people :rolleyes: I don't think any reputable camera shop will tell you Pentax is old technology.

Whoever told you buy Olympus instead of Pentax should be shot. :bsmilie:
If you are going the micro four third (smaller cameras, smaller lenses, more portable), go Panasonic GF1 instead. You will thank me for choosing a system with faster focusing with Liveview later on... especially when trying to focus on kid with the @#$% Oly slow focusing system.

You also should be going to camera shops instead of Courts, where the sales people are... sales people :rolleyes: I don't think any reputable camera shop will tell you Pentax is old technology.

Bro, I wouldn't count too much on salespeople anywhere, camera shops included. ;)

Best person to count on is the buyer himself/herself with research done. :thumbsup:

I was at Best Denki just now, hoping to check out the k-x but they didn't carry it, however I managed to play with the sony A230.

Got a quick quote from SLR Revo
with 18-55mm lens $549 (but no stock) Best selling $599
with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens $819

However the A230 does not have live view, I saw the new A290 and A390 in sony style but didn't have much chance to play with it. I did not find the grip on the A230 to be an issue.

I quite like the user interface of the A230 but after a thorough reading on dpreview, apparently normally you can enter the settings on the lcd screen directly and change stuff? I played with canon and nikon but have no idea how do you do that. However, I have learnt how to change the iso, shutter speed, aperture on the sony.

So now I am trying to decide between the sony A230 and the pentax k-x. No more nikon and canon lol. The A390 quick review, indicates that the upgrade is mostly just to the body like the grip, the inside is still the same. I think I will rather save the money.

I assume the IQ is similar for both? But sony's edge is supposed to be the really fast live view right, and since I am getting a model that doesn't have live view, is it still justified?

I was at Best Denki just now, hoping to check out the k-x but they didn't carry it, however I managed to play with the sony A230.

However the A230 does not have live view, I saw the new A290 and A390 in sony style but didn't have much chance to play with it. I did not find the grip on the A230 to be an issue.

I quite like the user interface of the A230 but after a thorough reading on dpreview, apparently normally you can enter the settings on the lcd screen directly and change stuff? I played with canon and nikon but have no idea how do you do that. However, I have learnt how to change the iso, shutter speed, aperture on the sony.

So now I am trying to decide between the sony A230 and the pentax k-x. No more nikon and canon lol. The A390 quick review, indicates that the upgrade is mostly just to the body like the grip, the inside is still the same. I think I will rather save the money.

I assume the IQ is similar for both? But sony's edge is supposed to be the really fast live view right, and since I am getting a model that doesn't have live view, is it still justified?

I think you may be over-researching your camera purchase lah..... there is no such thing as a perfect camera.... just go with whatever feels best in your hands and your heart .

having said that, go for the sony A230 if you are on a tight budget, and the pentax K-x if you are prepared to pay more for better camera features/specifications. either one is more than capable of giving you excellent photos.

:)

Last edited:

I wouldn't use live view much. Since live view af on canon is so friggin slow and eats up a lot of battery

yay!! I got myself a sony A330 from a really nice fellow from B&S.

*off to learn how to use it !

TS, are you a teacher by profession?