Nikon D3000 vs Canon 1000D. For a beginner

Hi, why don't you consider topping up a little more for the Nikon D5000? That has a live view feature and retains the useful guides, which are excellent for someone new to photography. Alternatively, Olympus makes excellent cameras for the same price as the beginner models from the big names.

Hi, why don't you consider topping up a little more for the Nikon D5000? That has a live view feature and retains the useful guides, which are excellent for someone new to photography. Alternatively, Olympus makes excellent cameras for the same price as the beginner models from the big names.

TS already bought a camera. Lets leave the 'Why not...' questions aside.

To TS,

Welcome to the photography world! Enjoy ur new camera. I'm sure it is a good choice... Happy shooting!

I'm a canon user. Best bang for the buck for entry camera.. I must admit it's the Pentax K-x with twin kit lens.

Well, TS had made her choice.

And btw, Sony have released a 30/f1.8 that might be of help for taking kids photos.

Because with all things it's always if you top up abit you get better but we really want to spend the minimum amount.

TS already bought a camera. Lets leave the 'Why not...' questions aside.

To TS,

Welcome to the photography world! Enjoy ur new camera. I'm sure it is a good choice... Happy shooting!

Thanks ! Well as usual I've been taking photos of my baby, and the photos really turn out alot nicer. Let me show you !

Same bedsheet with my panasonic lumix pns with flash
P1010250.JPG

with my A330. similar bad lighting no flash
20100802-DSC03528-Edit-2.jpg

just another pic with the new cam
20100804-DSC03715-Edit.jpg

haha, just as i guess. :)

enjoy your new cam~

hahahaha the $400 claim thingy gave me away right.

I'm a canon user. Best bang for the buck for entry camera.. I must admit it's the Pentax K-x with twin kit lens.

Well, TS had made her choice.

And btw, Sony have released a 30/f1.8 that might be of help for taking kids photos.

Is that expensive ? I saw on the price guide like the SAL28F28 28mm F2.8 is the cheapest at $469 ?

Actually I think the Pentax is a better camera in terms of specs and image quality. However the lack of AF points in the OVF seemed to be an issue. After getting the A330 which has the AF points I do think that it is very useful indeed. Actually I have yet to find a Pentax to play with, went to funan slr revo they didn't have a display set. Went to alan photo in funan also didn't see any pentax cameras on display. Played with the sony couple of times in the shops, and my husband seems to like its interface better than canon and nikon. The gui with the scale telling you which way to go for which effect worked for him. However he has yet to touch the camera ever since we got it...

I am thinking what else I can take besides my son, the outings thread seem to get filled up very fast one. By the time I see something that I can join, full liao. :eek:

I saw a toy thread here in CS, this guy takes super cool photos of this amazon lego dude called danboard? Hehehehe maybe I should go get some toys too hahahaha !

I thought that I would need to get an external flash, but so far things still look horrid with the built in flash, but look nice without flash, I think so far to get a decent exposure the fastest shutter I could go was 1/50 iso 1600, sometimes have to go for 1/30 shutter speed.
Got abit of noise when low light so will try to remove it in lightroom.

Last edited:
Just a tip for u ts.

Sony alpha DSLRs can use minolta af lenses. and minolta lenses are usually much cheaper than Sony lenses. there are various Sony lenses which are actually minolta lenses in disguise (sony bought over minolta and rebranded the lenses into Sony), and the minolta version will nearly always be cheaper.

Just a few examples of rebranded lens.

Minolta 28mm f2.8 is exactly the same as the Sony version. 2nd hand copies of this Minolta version is $200. Sony 2nd hand around 50% more.

Other rebranded lens are 500mm f8, 18-70mm, 18-200mm, 50mm f1.4, 100mm and 50mm macro and lots more.

If u wanna take macro of still life (toys), can consider the 30mm macro. I believe this is one of the cheapest 1:1 magnification macro lens in the market (no other brand has a 1:1 macro which cost only $2xx brand new)

Also, all dslr build in flash is very harsh. U can diy a diffuser, or buy a flash diffuser (specially for build in flash) for around $10. Or simply use a tissue paper to diffuse ur flash, its still alot nicer than to fire off a naked flash. Try the tissue method if u want, or search online for how to make a popup flash diffuser.

Last edited:
Your son is really cute... would definitely grow up to be a handsome chap... and I applaud your skill, really clear and sharp.

Anyway, I think the next thing that you should invest on (if you haven't) might be a drybox (singapore is a wet, wet place, don't want a garden to start growing in your camera ;) )

Sorry, I am unfamiliar with the Sony (me being a Canon user), couldn't advice more. Maybe more experience Sony sifu are better qualified to advice on your hardware.

Happy shooting!

Just a tip for u ts.

Sony alpha DSLRs can use minolta af lenses. and minolta lenses are usually much cheaper than Sony lenses. there are various Sony lenses which are actually minolta lenses in disguise (sony bought over minolta and rebranded the lenses into Sony), and the minolta version will nearly always be cheaper.

Just a few examples of rebranded lens.

Minolta 28mm f2.8 is exactly the same as the Sony version. 2nd hand copies of this Minolta version is $200. Sony 2nd hand around 50% more.

Other rebranded lens are 500mm f8, 18-70mm, 18-200mm, 50mm f1.4, 100mm and 50mm macro and lots more.

If u wanna take macro of still life (toys), can consider the 30mm macro. I believe this is one of the cheapest 1:1 magnification macro lens in the market (no other brand has a 1:1 macro which cost only $2xx brand new)

Also, all dslr build in flash is very harsh. U can diy a diffuser, or buy a flash diffuser (specially for build in flash) for around $10. Or simply use a tissue paper to diffuse ur flash, its still alot nicer than to fire off a naked flash. Try the tissue method if u want, or search online for how to make a popup flash diffuser.

ohhh great thanks !! can save lots of money !

Your son is really cute... would definitely grow up to be a handsome chap... and I applaud your skill, really clear and sharp.

Anyway, I think the next thing that you should invest on (if you haven't) might be a drybox (singapore is a wet, wet place, don't want a garden to start growing in your camera ;) )

Sorry, I am unfamiliar with the Sony (me being a Canon user), couldn't advice more. Maybe more experience Sony sifu are better qualified to advice on your hardware.

Happy shooting!

thank you ! :D

yep i went to get a dry box from alan photo $25 the hygrometer says 50% should be correct right.

thank you ! :D

yep i went to get a dry box from alan photo $25 the hygrometer says 50% should be correct right.

Yeah, around 35-55% (I think). Don't want to get too dry, or the rubber on the camera and lens will be damage.

I can claim $400 if I have a proper receipt. So second hand means cannot claim.

oo..
U r from public sector... NEA ? PUB ? PMO ? haa

edit: new A290 only 500+... cheapest in sony range.

Last edited:
oo..
U r from public sector... NEA ? PUB ? PMO ? haa

edit: new A290 only 500+... cheapest in sony range.

MOE starting only in sept though, primary school teacher.

I got a 3 month old A330 dual kit lens 18-55 & 55-200 for $750.

Actually the live view got its uses, like explaining how the AF points work to my hubby. LOL !!
I manage all the electronics at home, so he depends on me to explain all these things to him, he will never bother to read one.

Fast Live view plus tilting lcd is great for taking ground level shots (with camera on the floor or just above), especially if u wanna take photos of ur baby crawling. Without this, u will hv to practically lay down on the floor (at home still ok, but if its outside....), so this feature allows more room for composition.

Nikon D5000 also has an adjustable lcd screen, but its live view is slow, thus it'll be hard to take pictures of a moving subject (crawling baby). Therefore sony alpha really hv a good combination of the 2 features.

skyunicorn,
you can consider buying this pop-up flash diffuser
popup-diffuser.jpg

from mass seller TagoTech, or DIY your own.
But for $10 I think it's worth to get :D

I still prefer an external flash angled up to the ceiling, with a bounce card to throw some light forward. When you see the catchlights in the eyes, you'll be hooked! :)

Actually if I was TS... I would DIY many of the stuff like flash brackets, diffuser... even the macro ring. I have done a couple of flash brackets (work pretty well too, but kind of ugly) for less than S$10 and it is really fun to do it, my diffuser is only a few cents (they are made from empty nissin cup noodle!)... my next project is to build a monopod (my budget is around $10)

if TS has the time, I would really recommend DIYing stuff rather than buy them directly from shelves... hahahaha... but I am quite free in the weekends... not sure about TS (she has a baby.)

Just my thoughts....D3000 have the "guide mode" which is ideal for beginners...

:thumbsup:;)

Thanks ! Well as usual I've been taking photos of my baby, and the photos really turn out alot nicer. Let me show you !

Same bedsheet with my panasonic lumix pns with flash
[
with my A330. similar bad lighting no flash

just another pic with the new cam

Dude, try not to use flash when taking photos of your baby. Not good for the baby.