Newbie Guide to Filters

u mean this http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/price-guides/263716-filters-price-lists-singapore-2009-a.html?
but its 2009 price list rite? should change a lot.. i think.. hmm
thanks daredevil123 ^^

No. And if it did, you can at least call up the shops and ask yourself. When in doubt, show initiative. Daredevil123 is not obliged to give you the newest price, he already did a lot by pointing you in the right direction. The next step is up to you.

FYI, doing a search for "where to buy cokin" would have been much more productive for you.

u mean this http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/price-guides/263716-filters-price-lists-singapore-2009-a.html?
but its 2009 price list rite? should change a lot.. i think.. hmm
thanks daredevil123 ^^

Prices of filters do not change much unlike hi tech gadgets. They probably go up or down a little. This is a good first sign of the pricing, the rest of it is up to you to call the stores and find out the exact current pricing. It should not be too far off. And the guide do tell you which stores sell what, which in actual fact already do most of the work for you. All you need to do is to call that particular store(s).

Last edited:
daredevil123 said:
Prices of filters do not change much unlike hi tech gadgets. They probably go up or down a little. This is a good first sign of the pricing, the rest of it is up to you to call the stores and find out the exact current pricing. It should not be too far off. And the guide do tell you which stores sell what, which in actual fact already do most of the work for you. All you need to do is to call that particular store(s).

Yeah thanks.

I was wondering whether a cokin Z pro filter holder would fit in a tianya lens filter
adapter?

Z-pro holds 100mm filters isn't it. So far I don't think tian ya produces 100mm filters. The one that works for tian ya filter is Cokin P holder

Thanks for the reply Cowseye but what I was trying to imply is that if a 77 generic lens filter adapter (attachment from lens to the filter holder) would fit into into the cokin z pro lens filter holder. Thanks

Thanks for the reply Cowseye but what I was trying to imply is that if a 77 generic lens filter adapter (attachment from lens to the filter holder) would fit into into the cokin z pro lens filter holder. Thanks

Sorry, didn't see the word "adapter" in the last line. Well, as far as I know, Cokin Z-pro filter adapter is not the same as the generic adapter as what u find in Tian ya or Cokin P series adapter. If I'm not mistaken, only Cokin Z-pro adapter can hold onto Cokin Z-pro filter holder. Hope this answers your question.

Good day ancient masters!

I'm resurrecting this thread because I am now in need of your advice and reviews about Hitech filter on a lee holder.

I am about to press the checkout button on my online order for filters, see below:

1 x LEE Holder System - Foundation Kit
1 x LEE Filters Holder Adaptor Ring - Wide Angle***
- Thread Size: 77mm £31.00
1 x Hitech 100 ND Grad Filter - ND 0.9 (SOFT Edge)
1 x Hitech 100 PRO STOPPER 10 - ( 1.5mm Gasket)

but first I need wisdom from this old thread...

Do all of you have nasty experience with Hitech filters? Like color cast or anything? I tried to research all that in the net but most are advertisement and arbitrary.

heck... clubsnap is my only resource these days...

thanks!

I'm resurrecting this thread because I am now in need of your advice and reviews about Hitech filter on a lee holder.

I am about to press the checkout button on my online order for filters, see below:

Do all of you have nasty experience with Hitech filters? Like color cast or anything? I tried to research all that in the net but most are advertisement and arbitrary.

thanks!

Try to avoid Hitech (1 to 3 stops) ND, GND and RGND filters. The recent ones I tried show some color cast when stacked. This is in contrast to my Hitech GNDs, which were made around 3-4 years ago, which are totally free from color casts even when stacked. Hitech pro NDs are still ok (4, 6, 10 stops) since they have always given a bluish cast from the beginning.

thanks!

May I know if you are getting your filters from TeamworkPhoto?

Nope. I bought most of my stuff locally. Some stuff overseas I have friends carry it back for me.

*EDIT* - just realized you are talking to nikoneer... LOL sorry.

yrh0413 said:

Nope i was about to, but local shop's price is almost the same. Less hassle waiting.

Im helping SG economy :p

Someday I'll buy from them.

nikoneer said:
Nope i was about to, but local shop's price is almost the same. Less hassle waiting.

Im helping SG economy :p

Someday I'll buy from them.

I strongly recommend not to get from TeamworkPhoto until they upgrade their website security. I got my Hitech and Lee filters from them a while back and I naively entered my credit card number into the order even though the website is not secured. I emailed Teamwork and they assure me that their IT team is working on it.

I got my filters a week later... All seems fine until 3 months later I have an odd online transaction appearing on my credit card payment. The amount is not large but I have to call up my bank and lodged a fraud case and subsequently disabled my credit card and got a new one.

The fraudulent transaction was made in UK, regarding an online photography service subscription which I am very sure I did not sign up.

After this incident I emailed TeamworkPhoto but I did not receive any reply from them. The last time I checked their website weeks ago the online order page is still not a secured site. Until they fix this I will not buy anything from them.

I did not notice that.... Thanks!!!

Try to avoid Hitech (1 to 3 stops) ND, GND and RGND filters. The recent ones I tried show some color cast when stacked. This is in contrast to my Hitech GNDs, which were made around 3-4 years ago, which are totally free from color casts even when stacked. Hitech pro NDs are still ok (4, 6, 10 stops) since they have always given a bluish cast from the beginning.

would you recommend soft or hard filters for landscape photography (nature)?

Hi, a very noob question:
For Circular Polarizers :Which mode should we use and should not use?
ND Grads- Which mode should we use and should not use?
Cuz dunno if auto mode will cause pic to be normal (ie without the filter)

Hi, a very noob question:
For Circular Polarizers :Which mode should we use and should not use?
ND Grads- Which mode should we use and should not use?
Cuz dunno if auto mode will cause pic to be normal (ie without the filter)

I am not sure what modes you are talking about... Filters do not have modes.

As for CPL, best is to turn off Auto WB.
ND grads, I don't see a problem with auto modes.

But seriously, if you are moving in the direction of more advanced photography by going into filters, it is high advisable to start moving off auto or scene modes.