Newbie Guide to Filters

2 pieces? 0.9 (3stop) GND soft, and 0.9 ND.

Daredevil,

The 0.9ND you refering to is the standard or Pro Glass one?
Is the standard kit set good enough?

Thanks

Daredevil,

The 0.9ND you refering to is the standard or Pro Glass one?
Is the standard kit set good enough?

Thanks

Good enough or not really depends on your expectations actually.

To me the resin ones are good enough.

Good enough or not really depends on your expectations actually.

To me the resin ones are good enough.

Thanks for the info.
Lee website mentioned something like the pro glass types are meant for digital, thats why I am confused.

Thanks for the info.
Lee website mentioned something like the pro glass types are meant for digital, thats why I am confused.

For high stops ND like their 6 stops or 10 stops, it will be wise to get the pro glass series. With densities too high, resin filters tend to let toop much IR pass and cause a red/magenta color cast.

thinking of buying a GND hard edge. any recommendation on which stop should i get?

hmm. in that case, what should be taken into consideration then?

are you referring to situations such as sunrise/sunset or shooting in normal daylight (overseas and local)?

sorry another newbie question.. i know they say either get a good filter or no filter.
im looking at getting a uv /protection filter. is it worth getting a B+w UV haze ard $70? or jus a hoya HMC uv(c) ard $35?
the hoya filter got top spot from the link in the sticky.. so i suppose its good enough?
any feedback will be appreciated..thx

gau55ian said:
sorry another newbie question.. i know they say either get a good filter or no filter.
im looking at getting a uv /protection filter. is it worth getting a B+w UV haze ard $70? or jus a hoya HMC uv(c) ard $35?
the hoya filter got top spot from the link in the sticky.. so i suppose its good enough?
any feedback will be appreciated..thx

Optical quality wise, yes the Hoya HMC is very good. One thing to note is that it is harder to clean compared to b+w. Personally I am using Hoya HD and Kenko Zeta filters which are a breeze to clean and perform just as well.

Optical quality wise, yes the Hoya HMC is very good. One thing to note is that it is harder to clean compared to b+w. Personally I am using Hoya HD and Kenko Zeta filters which are a breeze to clean and perform just as well.

thnks daredevil~~ guess i will save some cash for other stuff n get hoya HMC.. hard to clean as in sand n dirt dont come off? haha

thnks daredevil~~ guess i will save some cash for other stuff n get hoya HMC.. hard to clean as in sand n dirt dont come off? haha

actually, oil smudges are harder to come off, but with the the right techniques, still can clean properly. I suggest you get Kenko Zeta protector filters, it is basically the same as Hoya HD, but only cost $59 for a 77mm nowadays at TK Foto.

Anyone tried Carl Zeiss filters?
They seem pricey so I'm thinking if they are anything special

Anyone tried Carl Zeiss filters?
They seem pricey so I'm thinking if they are anything special

Maybe you should try and tell us what you think of it.

I have a couple of the older ones that came with old Zeiss lenses on my Contax G1. Seems normal though, just that the rings are champagne gold, just like the lenses and the camera.

I have a couple of the older ones that came with old Zeiss lenses on my Contax G1. Seems normal though, just that the rings are champagne gold, just like the lenses and the camera.[/Q

these new filters should be a different batch from wat u r talking about

I have a couple of the older ones that came with old Zeiss lenses on my Contax G1. Seems normal though, just that the rings are champagne gold, just like the lenses and the camera.[/Q

these new filters should be a different batch from wat u r talking about

Probably. But looking at how good current Hoya/Kenko/B+W filters already are, how much better can the Carl Zeiss filters be? And at what price range?

probably just a branded thingy huh

Hi guys, anyone has any reviews regarding chromage filters?

Chromage is a local brand that buys from china factories and get their brand printed onto the products.

I've never used any of their products but i do not have high hopes for their filters.