Newbie Guide to Filters

so is the UV filter use to protect the lens from strong sunlight?

I did some research, the UV filter is actually quite weak and cannot provide protection from e.g drops/knocks on the filter thread or filter lens.
Best to use hood as well >.<

Last edited:
I am going to buy some B+W UV Filters. Do they have any different models or only one model for the UV filter?
Is there any price guide to refer to? I don't wanna get chopped when I go to orient photo D:

Hi dda, do read thru the guide. And google b+w uv filter. There are a few models., but they are all good

I did some research, the UV filter is actually quite weak and cannot provide protection from e.g drops/knocks on the filter thread or filter lens.
Best to use hood as well >.<

YMMY....

Some people like it, some people don't. Some people buy strong UV filters, some people go cheap. Doesn't mean it doesn't work. UV protects more than just knocks... water splashes, champagne spray, sand in the wind.. etc..

Hi dda, do read thru the guide. And google b+w uv filter. There are a few models., but they are all good

Are they really all good? If you think so, then good on you.

For me, there are some B+W filters I will not even use if given to me free.

It is a personal thing I guess.

I am going to buy some B+W UV Filters. Do they have any different models or only one model for the UV filter?
Is there any price guide to refer to? I don't wanna get chopped when I go to orient photo D:

If you read the guide from the beginning, there is a link to the filter price guide.....

I dun use their nd filters that's all. But the f-pro and xs-pro which I am using works fine for me :)
Chill

Is it safe to say that B+W slim version = XS-Pro version?

58mm MRC UV-Haze - ($71 CP)
52mm MRC UV-Haze - ($62 CP)
49mm MRC UV-Haze - ($69 CP)

I am going to buy this 3(all 3 should be f-pro version), they should be good and won't affect image quality right?
Can't find reviews online, all search results lead to online stores.

Last edited:
DDAphoto said:

I am going to buy this 3(all 3 should be f-pro version), they should be good and won't affect image quality right?

Research a bit into the mass sale retailer might change ur mind going to CP to buy :)

All UV filter affects image quality. The difference is how much it affects.

Of course there are reviews. This one is posted in the guide if you actually read through it carefully...
http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article-UV_filters_test.html

Last edited:
Hi all any1 know where to buy cokin filter? tat is the best if can see the price online :) please advise

Hi all any1 know where to buy cokin filter? tat is the best if can see the price online :) please advise

Read the first page of this guide. There is a link to the price guide.