new to dslr (D90): Which picture control setting to choose for zoo trip?

star77

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Hi guys, new to dslr and will like to know what's the recommended picture control setting to use for animal photo taking (zoo trip). thanks.
Camera: D90

Auto?
Which lens are you going to use 18-105?

Hi guys, new to dslr and will like to know what's the recommended picture control setting to use for animal photo taking (zoo trip). thanks.
Camera: D90

Vivid??

Auto?
Which lens are you going to use 18-105?
Was thinking of using 'Program' mode, but not sure w hich pic control would be more recommended for animal shot.
E.g: protrait shooting, i normally use neutral.

Gonna stick to the kit lens 18-105 first till i grow outta it.

Last edited:
I think this is really up to individual liking.

I would be more concern on shuttle speed than anything else.
Probably water proof ur bag since it has been raining recently.

Wat setting in vivid would be recommended?
My vivid setting is set to sat+3 and using it more for landscape.

the cam's preset vivid setting is saturated enough i suppose.. plus a little sharpening at about 5 for my liking :)

it would all depend on personal taste I suppose. Our dear KRW loves Vivid, and then some. I'm more into muted tones... :D

Wat setting in vivid would be recommended?
My vivid setting is set to sat+3 and using it more for landscape.

wow, tat will render it to be too saturated.. we want the colors to be rich for nature but nt overdoing it.. i will set to +1 and 5 for sharpening..

I shoot in RAW so I leave the color setting to normal Even before that, I found vivid tended to oversaturate the reds on my Nikon D80 (the D90 may be different). You can always increase saturation and do sharpening later. A couple of suggestions for shooting at the zoo. Shoot wide open if possible (I use A for Aperature Priority- this will also get you teh fastest shutter speed if the animals are moving) and try to use the long end of your zoom (you will probably be there anyways trying to get closer). Then try to be as close to any wire cages as you can. These combined will give you a narrower field of view to minimize how much you see of any bars or wires. I don't usually have too much problem with autofocus but be aware if you are focused on the cage or the animal. If it is cloudy you may need to raise your ISO- I don't like to go much above ISO 400 but that is usually enough. See if it is working, if not, what adjustments you need to make.

And one thing you might not think of- wear dark clothes to minimize your own reflections of any glass enclosures. If you do like to visit the zoo you will probably want to get a longer lens. I might suggest the Nikon 70- 300mm VR- probably the best price value in a longer lens (long lenses can get quite expensive!). I like to use mine at the San Diego zoo. http://www.pbase.com/jeffryz/san_diego_zoo And remember to have a good time! Let us see some of how they come out! (just pick a couple of your favorite/ best ones).