New A300 user

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexar

Sep 16, 2008
Hi all,

Just got my first DSLR yesterday, the A300 after much much consideration comparing with 450D and D90.

Guess it's really the usability of Quick Liveview AF and Tilting LCD that swayed me towards A300, as I will be taking pictures of my kid most of the time.

I was wondering, since I will be taking indoor portraits most of the time, which should be the better "first poison" to purchase?

50mm F1.4 lens or Flash?

Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.

Regards

Last edited:
Hi,

Welcome to the world or Sony DSLR. Sony A300 is indeed a great camera for taking kids. Just wondering if your kids is under 2 years old. If so, best to get the 50mm f/1.4. The flash can wait. Too much flash, may be bad for their gentle eye.
Though there is no studies or proof so far. Prevention is better than cure.
Call me if you need any help in handling the camera. :)

Hi Frederic,

Thanks, will certainly ask you for more advice in time to come.

Yes, he is under 2yo and I am also concerned about using flash on him too often, that's why decided to invest in DSLR to counter the bad low-light capabilities of P&S.

However, will SIGMA 30mmF1.4 be a better choice for indoor shots as I am afraid 50mm may be too tight for small HDB units like mine...

I am in exactly the same situation and really tempted to buy A300 at Sitex. My son is also 1+ and I hate the low light flash photos I have to take.
Will I get a better price at Cathay than Sitex ?
Also is the freebies offered at Sitex worth ?
Can I not buy the same at Cathay at cheaper rate.

Hi Lexar,

welcome to the Alpha family.

Hope to see you in our outings soon. Our experienced & friendly bros will be able to share some tips with you on your photography queries. ;)

A 30mm f 1.4 will be good, but do remember to step it down to 2.0 - 2.8 to get it sharp. Also, sigma tends to have a slightly yellow tone to the images, which means a bit of re-touching may be necessary.

A flash could still be invaluable for great pictures, especially if bounced off the ceiling, etc.

I am in exactly the same situation and really tempted to buy A300 at Sitex. My son is also 1+ and I hate the low light flash photos I have to take.

Hi, I would suggest that you do a price comparison between Cathay and MS Color before deciding. Don't bother with what Sitex has to offer as those freebies are really cheap stuff and they are not really useful.

if 50mm is too tight can consider a tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 ;p

Forget Sitex, especially today... the deals aren't special anyway...

Try to Sigma 30mm f/1.4 if budget is tight... otherwise the Tamron 17-50mm is quite a good option... it gives wideangle 25.5mm to about 75mm... very good walkabout lens... wide enough to snap your child running around, long enough to do a close-up portrait when he/she is in the mood. And also very useful when going on holidays, versatile lens... most travellers prefer wide lenses especially for group photos... only drawback is that the lens is rather large... otherwise it's the best option for a one-lens person.

Yes, I believe you can ask for better discounts at Cathay, Alan or MS.

I bought mine from MSColor.

Hi Lexar,

welcome to the Alpha family.

Hope to see you in our outings soon. Our experienced & friendly bros will be able to share some tips with you on your photography queries. ;)

Thank you,

Hope to meet up with all the senior brothers here...

Happy shooting.

A 30mm f 1.4 will be good, but do remember to step it down to 2.0 - 2.8 to get it sharp. Also, sigma tends to have a slightly yellow tone to the images, which means a bit of re-touching may be necessary.

A flash could still be invaluable for great pictures, especially if bounced off the ceiling, etc.

Yes brother, I have came to these few lens as reviews are quite good and SIGMA has this particular lens for our non-fullframe sensors which is unique and useful range.

I also agree flash is needed to fill in the shadows, which I have tried my friend's D40 with SB400 gives better results than without flash, but must use blounced flash as not to exploit my son's precious young eyes too much...:bigeyes:

Forget Sitex, especially today... the deals aren't special anyway...

Try to Sigma 30mm f/1.4 if budget is tight... otherwise the Tamron 17-50mm is quite a good option... it gives wideangle 25.5mm to about 75mm... very good walkabout lens... wide enough to snap your child running around, long enough to do a close-up portrait when he/she is in the mood. And also very useful when going on holidays, versatile lens... most travellers prefer wide lenses especially for group photos... only drawback is that the lens is rather large... otherwise it's the best option for a one-lens person.

Thank you to Doomslayerz brother and TME,

I will check out Tamron 17-50 as well then. Do you roughly know the estimated price for SIGMA 30f1.4 and Tamron?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi, I would suggest that you do a price comparison between Cathay and MS Color before deciding. Don't bother with what Sitex has to offer as those freebies are really cheap stuff and they are not really useful.

Exactly!

Initially my friend and I were more or less decided to buy at SITEX (represented by MAX Photo). However, they insisted that price for A300 with kit lens is die die $1099 with freebies throw in....but as we do not need so many CF Cards (they provide 3 pieces) and tripod and still they cant lower the price further.

So we tried calling MSColor and immediately left SITEX as their pricing is better.:think:

Just bought my 1st DSLR A300 + 18 - 55 VR + 55 - 200 VR + Bag (Lowepro) + 4GB Card + Cleaning Kit + 1 UV Lens Cover = $2660 yesterday at John 3:16 - still blur like sotong today. Would deeply appreciate any assistance along the way by seniors. Thanks to all.

Just bought my 1st DSLR A300 + 18 - 55 VR + 55 - 200 VR + Bag (Lowepro) + 4GB Card + Cleaning Kit + 1 UV Lens Cover = $2660 yesterday at John 3:16 - still blur like sotong today. Would deeply appreciate any assistance along the way by seniors. Thanks to all.

bodipaleon, do u mean Nikon D300? Coz those lens are Nikon lenses. Or u are using both Sony and Nikon systems.

Maybe I don't get u, but Sony DSLR cannot mount Nikon lenses. Please enlighten us bro.

Last edited:

bodipaleon, do u mean Nikon D300? Coz those lens are Nikon lenses. Or u are using both Sony and Nikon systems.

Maybe I don't get u, but Sony DSLR cannot mount Nikon lenses. Please enlighten us bro.

Yah, i'm confused too. Since when we have 18-55mm kit lens and VR lenses? :dunno: Moreover the price of the A300 with the twin lens package is definitely below this price.

I am also confuse... Sony's "anti-shake" is on the body & not the lens... why do you need VR ( nikon term for anti-shake)? :dunno:

Well we always learn something new everyday. He must have modded his A300 heavily. Real Pro.

Hi, i also bought new A300 last month. now under training. Take a lot bad picture.:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.