New A300 user

Status
Not open for further replies.
i also bought A300 yesterday as its one of the best budget and midrange SLR.

I am looking for a 50mm F1.4 second hand if any cos cant afford the brand new one at $529. How much are the other sigma 30mm or tamron? I like to choose a budget lens that also me to take sharp picture with defocus background.

Why not look in the Buy And Sell section?

Thank you to Doomslayerz brother and TME,

I will check out Tamron 17-50 as well then. Do you roughly know the estimated price for SIGMA 30f1.4 and Tamron?

Thanks in advance.

got the tamron 17-50 at MS for 630..quite satisfied with the lens, compared to the kit. good at low light n portrait..using tis to take my baby photos :)

welcome newbies... glad to see more pple joining us... well... i am also a newbie to the camera... A300 is definitely a good choice for taking children cos of the tilting lcd with liveview... can take low angle... excellent selection...

to answer TS thread.... i got myself a lot of 'poison' since the start... its a good and bad thing... but spending enough time u will know which one best suited you... the 18-70mm kit lens is excellent piece of glass... which i still keep and not letting go... since yours is mostly indoor shots... i would suggest u get tamron 17-50 f2.8... however only sharp at f4... cos i think its more versatile then prime esp for newbies... i tried prime once and seems like u need a bit of moving around your body to get certain composition...

but on the other hand... prime is excellent in low light and IQ is superb... but i am tight on budget... so better get those i need first...

flash... i encourage you to get flash too if possible esp for indoor shots... cos there is a lot of shadows... you can make use of the wireless features and bouce card/diffuser to balance your exposure... dun have to be direct onto the child eyes... furthermore you can achieve better shutter speed to capture the 'moment'...

so thats my 2 shekels...

welcome newbies... glad to see more pple joining us... well... i am also a newbie to the camera... A300 is definitely a good choice for taking children cos of the tilting lcd with liveview... can take low angle... excellent selection...

to answer TS thread.... i got myself a lot of 'poison' since the start... its a good and bad thing... but spending enough time u will know which one best suited you... the 18-70mm kit lens is excellent piece of glass... which i still keep and not letting go... since yours is mostly indoor shots... i would suggest u get tamron 17-50 f2.8... however only sharp at f4... cos i think its more versatile then prime esp for newbies... i tried prime once and seems like u need a bit of moving around your body to get certain composition...

but on the other hand... prime is excellent in low light and IQ is superb... but i am tight on budget... so better get those i need first...

flash... i encourage you to get flash too if possible esp for indoor shots... cos there is a lot of shadows... you can make use of the wireless features and bouce card/diffuser to balance your exposure... dun have to be direct onto the child eyes... furthermore you can achieve better shutter speed to capture the 'moment'...

so thats my 2 shekels...

Thanks for the valuable piece of advice.

I am now considering these:

1) Sigma 30mmf1.4
2) Tamron 17-50mmf2.8
3) Sony 50mmf1.4 or
4) Used Minolta 50mmf1.7 :dunno:

Obviously, I would prefer new as warranty plays an important part for newbie like me.

If I wish to take good kids portraits with nice bokeh at home without flash, which would be the best for optimum sharpness? Also, any good place to get best bargains?

Thanks in advance.
:)

the tamron gives u some focal length to play with ;p
but at the cost of a higher f stop..

the others are prime lenses.. up to u :dunno:

the tamron gives u some focal length to play with ;p
but at the cost of a higher f stop..

the others are prime lenses.. up to u :dunno:

Thanks bro,

Got the Tamron 17-50f/2.8 and Minolta 50f1.7.

For Tamron, the pictures are definitely VERY MUCH sharper than the kit lens and I am able to shoot at faster shutter speed with lower ISO....:thumbsup:

Now I am shooting at f/2.8-f/4 with ISO200 or ISO400 in my house all the time, where previously I will need at least ISO800 in order to get good shots.

Definitely worth the money spent...

Last edited:
Just bought A300 and a first time DSLR user.. The feeling is shiok.. now practising a lot..most of the time using M mode.. . may i ask the following;

- How often do we disloge our lense or simply attached them together????
- How often do we clean it using the menu , under cleaning mode?
- For taking night landscape the bigger the F and the longer the timing , is better?
- Though i read the thread on reverse macro, i dun really understand??:think:, have anyone use this or can we use it?
- Anyone try stiching photos?

Appreciate any reply ... :bsmilie:

Just bought A300 and a first time DSLR user.. The feeling is shiok.. now practising a lot..most of the time using M mode.. . may i ask the following;

- How often do we disloge our lense or simply attached them together????
- How often do we clean it using the menu , under cleaning mode?
- For taking night landscape the bigger the F and the longer the timing , is better?
- Though i read the thread on reverse macro, i dun really understand??:think:, have anyone use this or can we use it?
- Anyone try stiching photos?

Appreciate any reply ... :bsmilie:

Hello... have fun with your camera... shoot more, and experiment more till you understand the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO...

Now for your questions (in order as you asked)

- I usually unmount the lens if I am keeping the camera in the dry box. Otherwise in the field, I always have a lens mounted. Some people prefer to carry the camera without mounting the lens cos they can carry more in the same bag... I prefer to have the camera ready to shoot... it's up to you. Repeated mounting and unmounting the lens is ok. That's what the metal lens mounts on the camera and lenses are for - to take the wear and tear.

- You use the cleaning mode only if the sensor is dirty. Since your camera is new, the sensor should be clean. Mine is full of junk but I really don't care cos it can't be seen on the pictures taken. But I'll be sending in for a major cleaning soon.

- For night scapes, you need a tripod to prevent camera shake. The larger the f-stop (the f number), the smaller the aperture (the hole made by the lens blades that allow light into the sensor) and hence more time is required for a correct exposure (therefore your shutter speed becomes slower). If you want a larger depth of field (i.e. both foreground and background of the image to be sharp), then you need to stop down (i.e. select a larger f-number). Generally for landscapes, you use large f-numbers like f/8 and higher.

- Reverse macro involves buying an adaptor that allows you to screw on a lens in reverse on the camera lens mount. The reverse adaptor attaches to the camera body via the standard Alpha lens mount and the other side screws onto the filter thread of the lens. This allows very large magnification depending on the lens... never used it before... it's a cheap way to get a high magnification cos you can use an exisiting lens and simply buy a reverse adaptor which is way cheaper than a dedicated macro lens. Might be a good way to experiment with macro to see if you like this genre of photography... no need to suffer capital when you buy a dedicated macro lens and then decide you don't like macro and sell off the lens.

- I stitch a lot of panos... one of my favorite but I'm not very good at it... you could use Photoshop CS4. It has a function called Photomerge. I use a little shareware utility called Autostitch which is excellent (though a little arcane). The CS4 edition is very good. For panos, you need to shoot with a constant exposure throughout the entire span that you want to take. It's best to use a lens that has minimal distortion. I usually shot portrait mode as the top and bottom of the merged picture has to be heavily cropped to remove the significant barrel distortion that accompanies the wide-angle lenses I like to use. There are good tutorials on the net... I can't remember them now but google for them. You can check out my panos in the "Show Your SONY Photos" thread. All are stitched together using Autostitch.

Now I am shooting at f/2.8-f/4 with ISO200 or ISO400 in my house all the time, where previously I will need at least ISO800 in order to get good shots.

Definitely worth the money spent...

You've changed the DOF, so that means your image would look slightly different with a much narrower DOF... so you're sacrificing DOF for shutter speed... if you're taking portraits, that would be good, otherwise, for group pictures, it would mean that quite a few of the group might be soft... just thought I'll raise this point... there's some trade-off cos the light in your house is constant...

Thk You TME..
Your reply is appreciated and encouraging ;)

Hi, i'm new to dslr also, jus got my A200 a few days ago.. wanna ask.. in order to get nice bokeh right, we must set the F to as low as possible right ? if i shooting in my house, wat kind of setting is the best ? cos if lower the F and the shuttle speed, i will have to increase the iso, thats create alot alot of noise.. btw.. i'm using the kit lens SAL1870.. tks in advance..

hi, got myself a A350 last month from Cathay Photo. I went on to buy 2 more Sony lens, the SAL16105 and SAL50 from the Sony Style shop at Jurong Point. there is a opening promo and they are giving 10% disc on all lenses.

Hi, i'm new to dslr also, jus got my A200 a few days ago.. wanna ask.. in order to get nice bokeh right, we must set the F to as low as possible right ? if i shooting in my house, wat kind of setting is the best ? cos if lower the F and the shuttle speed, i will have to increase the iso, thats create alot alot of noise.. btw.. i'm using the kit lens SAL1870.. tks in advance..

You are right, to get better bokeh use the bigger aperture ( lower F number ). i'm quite confuse what you describe. you mention if lower the F and the shutter speed??? what you mean by this? lower F number you should get faster shuttle speed.

F1.4 >F2>F2.8>F4>F5.6 ... they are 1 stop greater to the next...

eg.. set your camera at Aperture mode and set to F4, if your shutter speed = 1/100, you should get 1/200 if you change your aperture to F2.8.

I dont think there is specific setting for shooting, really depend on what you shoot.

lol, Thanks for Rashkae correction :)

Last edited:
"shutter", not "shuttle". We're not NASA. :p

hi, got myself a A350 last month from Cathay Photo. I went on to buy 2 more Sony lens, the SAL16105 and SAL50 from the Sony Style shop at Jurong Point. there is a opening promo and they are giving 10% disc on all lenses.

The 16-105 and the 50mm are both good lenses. Did you get a equote from ms color or cathay? You might have gotten an even better deal. :)

i called both shops about the lenses. Apparently the pricing, in decreasing order, was: Cathay, MS followed by Sonystyle. I must qualify that w/o the 10% discount, Sonystyle wld have sold at RRP. Even the CZ lenses have 10% off....

i called both shops about the lenses. Apparently the pricing, in decreasing order, was: Cathay, MS followed by Sonystyle. I must qualify that w/o the 10% discount, Sonystyle wld have sold at RRP. Even the CZ lenses have 10% off....

Generally the Alpha products are more expensive at SonyStyle... I wonder why would people buy from them than other vendor? :dunno:

Generally the Alpha products are more expensive at SonyStyle... I wonder why would people buy from them than other vendor? :dunno:

for lenses below 1k etc , the price diff is about 100 -150 for sony style and street, but when you are talking about lenses above 2k , the street price can be more than $300 from rrp. If you're talking about a $500 lense like the 50mm 1.4 , the prices will not vary much.

i'm also a new a300 user, so for tamron 17-50mm where to buy is the cheapest?

Status
Not open for further replies.