needs recommendation on lens

so getting the cheapest 18-55mm IS lens will be the best for beginner??

the 2nd choice will be 15-85mm IS USM kit lens then 17-85mm IS USM will be next?

so getting the cheapest 18-55mm IS lens will be the best for beginner??

the 2nd choice will be 15-85mm IS USM kit lens then 17-85mm IS USM will be next?

No... don't get the 17-85mm lens... not a good choice... not having very good reviews at all. 15-85mm is a great lens... if you can afford it, get it... and skip the 18-55mm. Or else get the 18-55mm... it is quite a good lens. Another option would be to get the 7D body and a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (which is a very very sharp and beautiful lens, but a bit slower in AF and quite noisy - as in the noise you hear and not those that would show on your pics.) That latter option would bring your total cost to be around S$28XX, so you have another S$1XX for a dry cabinet :)

hmm in this case i will try my best to get the 15-85 kit, if not i will stick back to the 18-135 kit

thx alot
regards

ErikaT said:
hmm in this case i will try my best to get the 15-85 kit, if not i will stick back to the 18-135 kit

thx alot
regards

The 18-135 has some problems with the barrel(I have a few friends that got this problem).. Sometimes it's a bit loose etc depending on manufacturing batch. I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe 55-200/70-200 would be better..

Last edited:
My take is,

1st Option

7D with 15-85mm lens (S$30XX - S$31xx) + a dry cabinet and it will bring the total cost to be S$3XXX

2nd option

7D with Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (non-IS) (S$28XX) and you can spend another S$1XX for a dry carbinet, and it will bring the total cost to be around S$30XX.

For the 2nd option, you might have to forgo the telezoom because of the lack of reach, but for normal street photography, portrait and day to day usage, it is an excellent choice and you might come out to be a couple of hundreds dollars richer. With these money, you can put in bank or get a cheap 55-250mm that is pretty good IQ wise and give you short tele reaches.

may i know what are the shops that sells 7D with 15-85mm lens at S$30XX - S$31xx??
so far all the shops i went to sells 3200+

i m poor, thus every $ counts

i m planning to get a dry box at $20, as the dry cabinet needs power and it is ''too big' for me ( i m planning to get 1 or 2 lens, the most 3 in the near future)

BTW, how much is a hood? i cant find the price in this forum

Last edited:
ErikaT said:
may i know what are the shops that sells 7D with 15-85mm lens at S$30XX - S$31xx??

i m poor, thus every $ counts

i m planning to get a dry box at $20, as the dry cabinet needs power and it is ''too big' for me ( i m planning to get 1 or 2 lens, the most 3 in the near future)

BTW, how much is a hood? i cant find the price in this forum

Please don't put such expensive gear in a small dry box.. $100+ for a 30L is not that much... If you're pushing the budget, don't get the 7d first.. :eek:

i scare it will be power consuming, thats y.
and i may be going oversea in these 1 or 2 yrs

ErikaT said:

You'll be staying overseas for 1-2 years?? Then probably don't need to get one if it's like that.. But you can always turn it off.. :bsmilie: It doesn't use that much energy unless you're living alone and need to worry about paying the bills each month from overseas.

i will need to see how it goes then

really thx alot for all the advice

cya around the forum

I might be wrong here. Sorry, not too updated on the price of body + kit. And there is a recent hike in the price because of the earthquake in Japan... might cost more now. Therefore I am suggesting Option 2 to you too.

Don't be put off by 3rd party lens. Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens is a really good lens, the only issue is that it don't really have very fast AF and is quite noisy because the motor make a weird screeching sound, but to many people it is quite acceptable. This lens is only around S$600+ and a 7D body cost around S$2100 - S$2200, thus the entire body + lens will only give you S$28XX, thus you can still buy a 30L dry cabinet with the same money that you would pay for a 7D + 15-85mm lens.

But of course you if feel more comfortable with Canon's own lens, u would not go wrong with the 15-85mm :) It is just that it is a bit more expensive.

Some places overseas, you do not need a dry cab. The weather there could be so dry that the whole place is a huge dry cab.

if ur the kind that has itchy backside that upgrades till u really think its enough, give it 1 good shot n get the best for yourself.

but i think 50mm f.18 with kit lens is very good already.

wow 1st of all thx for all the comments

10m will be the most i think...............can go closer till 3m

for the body, 600D i think it is not really suits me as i m planning to go for some F1 actions here

many shops sell 7d body with 17-55 IS at about 2.5k+/-

You don't need a 7D to shoot action/sports or local F1.
600D, 60D, 7D all use the same 18mp sensor. The 7D is much better built body but as mentioned, will you abuse it that much to need it?
Focus speed, accuracy and fps is certainly enough. There is no need for 7,8,9,10fps just to do action shots.
With fps line of argument, might as well just shoot 30fps video and cut the frame that is needed :D
Save the money with a 600D or 60D and reserve the money for better lenses once you are familiar with lens options.
Anyway F1 only a sideline right? ie. once a year.

Don't skimp on the dry cabinet. No point save a few dollars a month on electricity bills and risk over $2K of equipment.
(They don't use up too much energy btw)