need help on how to protect camera in winter time (i'm going to japan in a wk time)

The Japanese engineers must be quite stupid in designing camera systems for their countrymen if they don't consider the environment they are in!!!!!

Documentaries of the Artic and Antartic are made with similar cameras and video devices. The images came out crisp and sharp.

When aircrafts fly at 10,000m the outside temperature can be minus 50 degrees C or lower. The onboard camera of the flight still function (you see the flight on your personal in-flight screen)

.... So dont worry... Handle your camera the way you keep your baby warm and you'll be fine........

have worked in very cold weather before. basically 4 problems.

1) batteries so have extras ready preferably kept in bag. I put mine in unused wool socks.

2) frostbite can happen anyplace on your body so do take precautions.

3) Although unlikely, the camera lcd can freeze and even crack the screen. Happened to my phone...cost about $100 to replace the lcd.

4) trust your sense, if it looks too cold to shoot normally...it usually is.

take care.

Next. if you are still very worried.. why not give yourself a break..give your camera a break..just go on the holiday and keep the camera at home.
if die die want to take pic..get a cheap P & S or just use the camera on your handphone.

When aircrafts fly at 10,000m the outside temperature can be minus 50 degrees C or lower. The onboard camera of the flight still function (you see the flight on your personal in-flight screen)
Those are known as External and Taxi Aid Camera System (ETACS) or Ground Maneuver Camera System (GMCS), manufacturing costs of the cameras are not that terribly expensive. Though they cost hundreds of thousands of dollars after being certified for conforming to airworthiness and operational requirements. :bsmilie:

.... So dont worry... Handle your camera the way you keep your baby warm and you'll be fine........
And later TS will complain that he did not get any picture .. could not find the shutter button under the diaper, bobble hat covered the lens or viewfinder :)

donut88 said:
Damm funny. Camera made by japanese company and owner is scared that it cannot take the japan winter......

They were concentrating on earning the strong Singapore dollars and in doing so completely forgot about japan and the rest of the world!

They should do a marketing gimmick then..

Winter sealed. There.. no more worries then.

hello everyone . i just bought my micro 4/3 camera which is the gf3. I wanna bring to osaka which is very cold now. I'm afraid that my camera might be damaged in some way because of the freezing cold. Is there something i must buy to contain the camera to prevent the lens or camera from being damaged?

sorry for noob question.

tk u in advance
Yo sis,
jokes aside, don't worry, just bring it along, as long as you don't drop it on the ground or in water, enjoy your trip, take many photos & don't forget to post them for us to see, ok? ;)

im holidaying in china with a 50d and it's sub zero here, about -10 to -20 degrees and it's been working fine. condensation happens and battery life is pretty bad, but that's pretty much it. had to use gloves to handle the camera tho, the magnesium alloy body gets ice cold really really fast. dunno if polycarbonate bodies will fare better.

My PnS Fujifilm F100FD survived winter in Nagano Japan, so can yours :)

I just survived Winter from -2 to about 8 deg in the UK with my 7D and 3 lenses - no issues whatsoever, not even condensation since my camera body and lenses were generally cold.
Had 2 batteries and both were sufficient for full day shooting as long as you charged the depleted one the night before.
Don't worry too much about winter - just enjoy the trip (first), and enjoy the shooting (which should actually be secondary to the trip). Have fun!

Last edited:
I bet everyone has said what is needed already. But just an add-on, you'll be wearing gloves during winter. Make sure you can handle your camera steadily when you're with gloves. If not, manfrotto makes glove-like straps for winter. Depends on how long you're going there of course