My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
behyx said:
Also, in Singapore, where can i buy a very good driving map of Malaysia (Or even better if it covers extensively (and very precisely) the northern Malaysian states. I searched the ones at kinokuniya today, but they are not really up to standard. They're more like a general map dictating all the highways, mainroads, cities, and that's probably all...

u wanna pop by Popular for the map? i got mine frm thr... only details of the main roads, like our ave 3 etc... the rest of the small roads are very easy to drive about...

the one we bought was "Road Map & Highway Guide of Malaysia" cost us ard S$10...
includes detailed city maps and shows all the highways in malaysa

canoni5 said:
u wanna pop by Popular for the map? i got mine frm thr... only details of the main roads, like our ave 3 etc... the rest of the small roads are very easy to drive about...

the one we bought was "Road Map & Highway Guide of Malaysia" cost us ard S$10...
includes detailed city maps and shows all the highways in malaysa

Awesome. Thanks bro. I will pop by hougang mall popular tomorrow... Today seems to be raining entire day.

behyx said:
Toggy bro,

Thank you so much. You really flattered me! And i felt really really appreciated!
Actually, i'd want to use my holga (6x6 on B/W films) on this trip - to break myself from the 'full-time DSLR' usage in my work.
And i will be doing the processing and printing myself, in a darkroom.
If you want, i can do darkroom prints for you, say 10 of my favourite pictures from the trip? I'm glad to sign every prints if you want :)

Regarding the bali photos, as i'm consolidating many of them for a stock agency, i apologize that i can't duplicate any high resolution copies of it. Hope you understand, all the commercial stuffs you see... Very sorry!

No problem, I just want to see you on the road to relax in your own way. The images are for my keepsake of a guy who outdid my bali trip in terms of cost. I did Bali with a rented landrover for $18 a day many years ago for 10 days. Lived in those manicured garden losman with gorgeous view for $15 a night all over the Island with my wife. Just that the airfares were $500 pax then. Those were the happy, memorable, carefree days.

OK - print 10 of your favourite pics. $25 into your account from me.
Bali cd album still stand, no need for high resolution. A few nice and favourite pics of 1mb to see through a projector will do. Nice way of jolting my memories. I hope to do Bali again soon.

tOGGY said:
No problem, I just want to see you on the road to relax in your own way. The images are for my keepsake of a guy who outdid my bali trip in terms of cost. I did Bali with a rented landrover for $18 a day many years ago for 10 days. Lived in those manicured garden losman with gorgeous view for $15 a night all over the Island with my wife. Just that the airfares were $500 pax then. Those were the happy, memorable, carefree days.

OK - print 10 of your favourite pics. $25 into your account from me.
Bali cd album still stand, no need for high resolution. A few nice and favourite pics of 1mb to see through a projector will do. Nice way of jolting my memories. I hope to do Bali again soon.

Now i see why your Bali trip was more expensive than mine. My losmen average at 3 times lower than yours (but i don't have a garden and view though!). I don't rent any vehicle, but i just got bikers to pillion me - much cheaper :)

Ok so it's a deal :) Do you want the Bali CD within these few days? Or you want me to pass everything to you after i'm finish with the prints (estimate mid-may)?

Take your time. May is fine. PM me your account (posb more convenient) so I can pay you first. Enjoy your trip.

tOGGY said:
Take your time. May is fine. PM me your account (posb more convenient) so I can pay you first. Enjoy your trip.

Thanks so much :cry: Very kind soul!
Check your PM pls.

tOGGY said:
Wanna buy my Vietnam photos? ;p

AReality said:
Wanna buy my Vietnam photos? ;p

hey bro... wish you could join me for the trip hehe...

Anyway, my trip rough layout is out, and i will be doing some planning today. As of now, i only have 1 very close friend who's considering whether to go with me... Hmm...

I have a good friend who's considering to make this trip with me, but he can't give me a reply until sunday (16th) night.

So meantime, i'd like to ask if there's anyone who want to join me for this trip if my friend couldn't make it?
I intend to make it from 19th (wed) to 23rd (sun) Apr 2006. It's just next week, yes i know it's rush; And be warned this is not a 100% planned trip, so we just basically make reservation for the car rental and train tix, and we're off with a lonely planet guidebook, a map and a backpack!!

Note that it's NOT a purely photography trip. It's more like a shoestring backpacking roadtrip. In another word, there's no such thing as everything 100% of the trip is planned for, and no need to make a huge list of what to see, what to take pictures, etc... The only things we'll be bounded is the train schedule, and no. of days we book the car.

This will be a very budget trip, therefore if more people go, the lower each of us has to pay for the car rental. S$250 will be my overall budget. And we'll be expected to eat cheaply and stay at the cheapest accomodation available. You must be able to drive too, so we can take turns :)

The basic layout of this trip follows:

- Singapore to JB by bus
- JB train terminal travel up to Penang (stopover at KL. Will take less than 20hrs for the train ride, and we'll take the sleeping berth for the night journey - relatively cheap)
- Rent a car from Penang
- Drive across northern malaysia east-ward along highway 4 - probably the most beautiful route in malaysia. There will be a huge lake - I hope it's gonna be beautiful as we'll be crossing 2 long bridges. Parts of the journey is through mountains, where we'll be 800 to 1000m above sea level, sometimes we'll be driving at altitude higher than the clouds.
- Reach the East coast at Kota Bharu or Trengganu... Can tour around the place, take pictures, etc...
- Drive along the Eastern coastal route straight towards JB
- Return the car at JB
- Back to SG.

I might have to check with the car rental company if we intend to prolong our journey by 1 or 2 days until Tuesday max, is it possible to just pay the extra days with no further surcharge. Well that is, just in case we find the eastern coast really beautiful and want to stop by many places...

So anyone up for it?

Well well well!

We'll need some information about Highway 4 (east-west highway), and i'll be glad if any of you can share some insights :)

We'll be having 1 night anywhere along the highway, so which town offers a good backpackers hostel?

Status
Not open for further replies.