My first try on a fake magazine cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
the cover pic is very nice!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bigeyes:

:thumbsup: good first attempt.. gotta agree that the second one is better =)

Astro said:
Don't quite understand why is impact considered as user unfriendly? Can you explain abit more?

I qoute a phrase I received in a design conference a couple of years before, "Impact is the one the fonts, that was named for, and not of application at all." That was 2001, and were tough words to me, and subsequently I wrote an email and received a response (of which I still keeps in my email account), "Impact is named impact, not with impact. Not very wise to use the font for publication purpose."

It has, aesthetically, a very unpleasing look when match with most modern "up-to-date" design. Web designers will normally avoid using Impact, or simply delete the font file away.

eikin said:
'impact' may not be that good a font as some alphabets may not be clear enough to be deciphered very quickly (actually i heard from my friend in the graphics line that the most readable font is Times New Roman, that's why the newspaper use it).

Yes of course, and you will hardly see anyone use Times New Roman without much alteration to its fontface as well. Used in newspaper, but not quite welcomed by present-day designers, perhaps its too commonly-used.

And of course, you won't have to acquire a license if you are using for commercial purpose.

Thanks to all for your compliments and feedback.

Here's my 3rd cut.

Changed all fonts to verdana. Not sure if it is a good font in prints. Also squeezed the font abit to fit it into the page but retaining its size. Removed all borders and embosses. Also, added in a few extra info (don't dare to put too much).

Comments are welcomed.

travelation3.jpg

Too much text and stuff outside and the bottom of the mag looks weird, duno why..
i prefer simple stuff like prolly just the magazine's name and prolly just some words in not so bold fonts...
iD's cover not bad...

ServeChilled said:
Too much text and stuff outside and the bottom of the mag looks weird, duno why..
i prefer simple stuff like prolly just the magazine's name and prolly just some words in not so bold fonts...
iD's cover not bad...

Thanks for ur feedback. Actually, if you have noticed, I borrowed the idea of the top and bottom border from the "popular photography" magazine cover I have previously posted. I thought they looked nice, so I put too.

Originally I wanted to put 2 more items at the bottom border to add more info, but thought it would be too cramped and wordy, so kept at the 2 short original text.

Trying to balance between keeping the centre focus clean and clear while spicing up the cover with bits and pieces of small info at the top and bottom like what some of you had feedback.

ServeChilled said:
iD's cover not bad...

I see what you meant.
http://www.i-dmagazine.com/i_collect/i_collect.php?id=251

Guess it does portray a very unique style by having a very clean look. :bigeyes:

Well, guess different styles suit different eyes... anyway, will take note of such style.... thanks. :D

Paul_Yeo said:
maybe they like your design and then employ you as their cover designer :cool:

Then everytime my "travelation boss" asked me to design a cover, you will see me cheating by asking for feedback here. :bsmilie:

Hi Astro,

I personally like your attempt very much ! :thumbsup:

I don't find it wordy etc. Normally when I am at the magazine section, I just scan through on the magazine cover. See what is covered in the issue ? If there is nothing interesting, I won't even waste time to read/flip it... :bsmilie:

You just have to come out with your own style ;)

wahlao1 said:
Hi Astro,

I personally like your attempt very much ! :thumbsup:

I don't find it wordy etc. Normally when I am at the magazine section, I just scan through on the magazine cover. See what is covered in the issue ? If there is nothing interesting, I won't even waste time to read/flip it... :bsmilie:

You just have to come out with your own style ;)

Thanks wahlao1.

You have a point there. If you are browsing at a magazine stand, you might not always have a chance to read too much since the seller might give you a long face. So, I guess the very first impression is very important.

My style is now copycat! :bsmilie:

On the other hand, for those magazines that are subscribed and sent to the homes of customers like those newsletters or whatever, guess they can be less striking since the reader already got it. So, they most probably might read what's inside regardless of how attractive the cover page is. First "selling" impression might not matter that much.

A good example is the Duet magazine (from SDU, for those who has it). It only has a big striking photo and a single item of text. That's it.

Not sure if I am talking sense. Maybe I am totally wrong. Those in the media industry will know better.

I still like your 1st cover.....colourful and attention-catching....2nd cover
overall view too boring, dun forget its a travel mag cover so can't be too
dull....i won't even pick up the mag if the cover is something like the 2nd
one. just my $0.01 worth :)

Thanks for your feedback. Looks like everyone has their own tastes. It will be impossible to suit everyone's needs and tastes in such a case. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.