My failed attempt at HDR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried using Photomatix today, results still not what I wanted.

soulFLY, mind teaching me how to get that dramatic effect? Is is the way I took the picture or the way I tonemap it?

Here are the results with 2 different tweaks:

IMG_1590_91_89_tonemapped2.jpg

IMG_1590_91_89_tonemapped.jpg

Which do you guys think is better?

Anyone can advise what went wrong?

why jpeg 8bits?

are u using a compact cam? are u able to use raw files or tiff?

ur color is too under saturated..i tried saving ur 3 files and try it on photomatix..but its tough...

perhaps the condition of the day didnt allow hdr.

also play with shooting more than 3 shots since u have tripods.

most of my better hdr are done with 9shots.

the shot below is one of my better example. right exposure for buildings and skies without haloing.
if u are using cs4, stack the photos together and do it manually with masking. - long and tedious process , but great result. photoshop hdr automate aint really good.

if u use photomatrix, set strength to lower and play ard settings until u are satisfy or close to satisfy, then pp further more for colours/contrast in photoshop

3593663446_a206aaf0d5.jpg

Last edited:
why jpeg 8bits?

are u using a compact cam? are u able to use raw files or tiff?

ur color is too under saturated..i tried saving ur 3 files and try it on photomatix..but its tough...

Yes I used raw. Just converting it to JPEG for easy upload to the site to show everyone the source file.

perhaps the condition of the day didnt allow hdr.

also play with shooting more than 3 shots since u have tripods.

most of my better hdr are done with 9shots.

the shot below is one of my better example. right exposure for buildings and skies without haloing.
if u are using cs4, stack the photos together and do it manually with masking. - long and tedious process , but great result. photoshop hdr automate aint really good.

if u use photomatrix, set strength to lower and play ard settings until u are satisfy or close to satisfy, then pp further more for colours/contrast in photoshop

3593663446_a206aaf0d5.jpg

Thanks for the advise! That's a great image there. I will have another try soon.

Yes I used raw. Just converting it to JPEG for easy upload to the site to show everyone the source file.

Thanks for the advise! That's a great image there. I will have another try soon.

Glad to know that you're trying. It takes a while to get this, but it'll be worth it.

Do you mind also sharing with us your Photomatix Tone Mapping settings? It's easier to tell what may have gone wrong from there.

As a tip, the selection of scene for HDR is also important. For landscapes, HDR will do nicely for dramatic skies, like sun, dark clouds, etc. Remember that HDR is for a scene with a wide dynamic range so if you shoot something that falls into the normal range, then you may not be able to "squeeze" out anything much more even if you shoot with multiple exposures.

Kinokuniya has a new book on HDR - "HDR Photography Photo Workshop (Wiley's Photo Workshop Series) by Pete Carr and Robert Correll (Paperback, 2009)". Suggest that you get something like this for reference. It'll truly help.

bro just keep trying...im lazy so normalli i use the 1 pic n break into numerous exposure for for this purposes.
I have a good friend who use to coach me on how to do it..and u just need more practice..

some people love to make the HDR very drastic, monstrous...i love to just enhance it and make it more natural...to each its own...as long as its pleasant to the eye...just need to practice more..im still learning too:)
some pics don need to do HDR while some when you do it, it helps...

I used just 1 pic to do it..some do bracketing but im not good at it and i seldom bring my tripod. If you use photomatix it allows you to break 1 raw into many exposure.
Sometimes instead of using tone mapping mode, you can choose the other option which i forgot what it is called.

3643019775_7e2198baba.jpg

3643171635_3a7c0f206b.jpg

I don know about others but for landscape, i will try my best not to have the haloing effect...

Last edited:
Another sample using Photomatix:
3497025528_75a727ea8c.jpg

I used a single RAW file and save to 5 different exposures (-1.4, -0.7,0.0, +0.7, +1.4). combined using Photomatix HDR, and set some TONE MAPPING, increase some saturations.

TS might want to find out exactly what kind of scenes will work with HDR. From the attempts I see from the TS, the shots were either exposed wrongly or taken under an overcast sky.

They don't look very sharp either. Also, the ISO should be checked. Have a feeling that the noise you have is getting amplified after the HDR process.

Keep trying.

I tried using Photomatix today, results still not what I wanted.

soulFLY, mind teaching me how to get that dramatic effect? Is is the way I took the picture or the way I tonemap it?

Really sorry for the late reply. :embrass:

I have been using both CS2 and CS4 with using Photomatix Plugins and Standalone. Creating HDR images from multiple exposure and single Jpeg.

And for the outcome/final result; some I process it looks dramatic especially on architecture and those on the streets.

As for landscape, waterscape and seascape; I prefered to process it looks more close to what our eyes seeing it.

There is many ways to explore on the slider but need extra careful to not get carried away as it will draw many unwanted scene; black patches, haloing and over saturated...

The main setting that need to take note is the Strength, Light Smoothing, Luminosity, Micro-contrast (more dramatic) and the rest is pretty much straight forward where you need to tweak to ur liking....

No worries my friend, be patience and practise makes perfect!

As a tip, the selection of scene for HDR is also important. For landscapes, HDR will do nicely for dramatic skies, like sun, dark clouds, etc. Remember that HDR is for a scene with a wide dynamic range so if you shoot something that falls into the normal range, then you may not be able to "squeeze" out anything much more even if you shoot with multiple exposures.

Kinokuniya has a new book on HDR - "HDR Photography Photo Workshop (Wiley's Photo Workshop Series) by Pete Carr and Robert Correll (Paperback, 2009)". Suggest that you get something like this for reference. It'll truly help.

Thanks for the comments, yup I used to think HDR is only an effect to make the scene look more surreal and only after reading up more did I know what's the real purpose of it!

I will go check out that book you've mentioned. Thanks for the heads up!

bro just keep trying...im lazy so normalli i use the 1 pic n break into numerous exposure for for this purposes.
I have a good friend who use to coach me on how to do it..and u just need more practice..

some people love to make the HDR very drastic, monstrous...i love to just enhance it and make it more natural...to each its own...as long as its pleasant to the eye...just need to practice more..im still learning too:)
some pics don need to do HDR while some when you do it, it helps...

I used just 1 pic to do it..some do bracketing but im not good at it and i seldom bring my tripod. If you use photomatix it allows you to break 1 raw into many exposure.
Sometimes instead of using tone mapping mode, you can choose the other option which i forgot what it is called.

I don know about others but for landscape, i will try my best not to have the haloing effect...

May I know how do I break up 1 raw file into different exposures using Photomatix? Your pictures look great too! Thanks for sharing!

I used a single RAW file and save to 5 different exposures (-1.4, -0.7,0.0, +0.7, +1.4). combined using Photomatix HDR, and set some TONE MAPPING, increase some saturations.

What program did you use to save different exposures using 1 RAW file? I used Canon's DPP but not sure if it is correct. Result is as below. The example you've given is really good!

TS might want to find out exactly what kind of scenes will work with HDR. From the attempts I see from the TS, the shots were either exposed wrongly or taken under an overcast sky.

They don't look very sharp either. Also, the ISO should be checked. Have a feeling that the noise you have is getting amplified after the HDR process.

Keep trying.

Hi, as mentioned, I really think I took those pictures at the wrong time of the day. But how do I know whether the shots are exposed wrongly?

I do not know what's wrong with the un-sharp pictures either. I think it's most probably movement caused by handholding. Are you referring to the first or the second attempt? I can't remember if I used ISO 100 for the first attempt, but the 2nd one definitely is as I used a tripod.

Really sorry for the late reply. :embrass:

I have been using both CS2 and CS4 with using Photomatix Plugins and Standalone. Creating HDR images from multiple exposure and single Jpeg.

And for the outcome/final result; some I process it looks dramatic especially on architecture and those on the streets.

As for landscape, waterscape and seascape; I prefered to process it looks more close to what our eyes seeing it.

There is many ways to explore on the slider but need extra careful to not get carried away as it will draw many unwanted scene; black patches, haloing and over saturated...

The main setting that need to take note is the Strength, Light Smoothing, Luminosity, Micro-contrast (more dramatic) and the rest is pretty much straight forward where you need to tweak to ur liking....

No worries my friend, be patience and practise makes perfect!

No worries. Thanks alot for the tips! There are really a lot of things to learn from you guys in every aspect of photography. Really appreciate the knowledge you guys are willing to share as well as the time spent on typing the post here.

I will take note of what has been commented. The examples given has really given me more motivation to improve and get better results.

What do you guys think of this next one? I manage to find one RAW file in my computer and I converted the exposures to +-2 EV using Canon's DPP.

IMG_0566_ev2_ev-2_tonemapped.jpg

Hi guys, thanks alot for the advice. I've tried several times.

This is one of my recent attempts. I realise that the pictures aren't sharp, even though the 3 shots are shot with a tripod. Anyone can tell me why is that so? An example is below.

IMG_1873_4_5_tonemapped.jpg

Hi guys, thanks alot for the advice. I've tried several times.

This is one of my recent attempts. I realise that the pictures aren't sharp, even though the 3 shots are shot with a tripod. Anyone can tell me why is that so? An example is below.

IMG_1873_4_5_tonemapped.jpg

This works well. No worries, a little tweak on USM solve the sharpness problem.....

Well done and its looks pretty good to me...excellent job! ;)

Next will be the composition that need to slightly improve...

This works well. No worries, a little tweak on USM solve the sharpness problem.....

Thanks soulFLY! What do you mean by tweak on USM? Is that a software?

Hi eedwinn,

Sry, I used your image to further enhanced it. Hope u wont mind :)

retouchup.jpg

unsharp mask in photoshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.