My 1st Pentax

First Pentax: Optio 430RS. Truly dreadful - I think it was made by Casio, who had an identical camera with a different model name.

View attachment 5290

First film SLR: Canon AE-1

First Pentax DSLR: *istD (stupid name that nobody knew how to pronounce)

First camera ever (which shows how old I am): Kodak Brownie 127 just like this one:

In a way I envy how you have been able to see a whole span of the evolution of photography from early brownie to dslr.

I feel that learning curve was harder then due to the cost of film/development (shoot more, pay more), harder to reference to shooting settings unless one wrote it down and no chimping :)
More emphasis on getting the shot that 'bokeh', shallow DOF and all that (mostly reserved for pros who could afford to burn film)

In the past, I was usually concerned with exposure being enough and shutter speed being generally hand holdable with whatever film I had in the camera (usually ISO100; ISO200)
Nowadays, there's DRI, highlight/shadow recovery in PP; etc.

Certainly very different now.

Last edited:
I am the odd one.
I actually like the *istD name and Pentax gave a good marketing reasoning to the name and I still recall it.

* = any word
ist = ist
D = digital

Usually *ist is a person who will bring/do things to the limits, to its extremes and be dedicated/obsessed with whatever he/she is doing.
Like the words "Extremist"; "Artist"; "Perfectionist"
So the *ist digital is the tool to bring out the best in the photographer.

I actually saw the *istD on sale (not yet in SGP) in the old Pentax Forums in Tokyo.
It was early days of digital SLRs and really pricey.
I can't remember the price, but certainly I stepped back when I saw the price listed on it there.
Too much $ for a lowly paid proletariat, so I passed on moving to DSLRs for the next 3-4yrs.

I did move to digital though with a Pentax Optio GS330.
Again, I compared spec and it was very good for the money (faster lens than most stuff at its price point)
Cost me about $799 IIRC (not cheap at all in those days)

Super Takumar 100/2 samples by jenkwang, on Flickr

It still works.
Lots of good memories and 4R prints with it (and it was just a 3mp camera).

I will share some picts when I get to it on my other PC.

Last edited:
I am the odd one.
I actually like the *istD name and Pentax gave a good marketing reasoning to the name and I still recall it.

* = any word
ist = ist
D = digital

Usually *ist is a person who will bring/do things to the limits, to its extremes and be dedicated/obsessed with whatever he/she is doing.

I actually saw the *istD on sale (not yet in SGP) in the old Pentax Forums in Tokyo.
I can't remember the price, but certainly I stepped back when I saw the price listed on it there.
Too much $ for a lowly paid proletariat, so I passed on moving to DSLRs for the next 3-4yrs.

Again, I compared spec and it was very good for the money (faster lens than most stuff at its price point)

Yes, but how would you have said *istD if you had gone into a shop to buy one? 'That digital SLR that Pentax have just brought out', probably! :)

The Optio 430RS was almost S$1100 when I bought it at Changi Airport well over ten years ago. The 330 had much better reviews, as I found out later. The *istD was pushing S$3000 when it first came out here - that was with the (not very good) FAJ 18-35 kit lens.

I am the odd one.

* = any word
ist = ist
D = digital

Super Takumar 100/2 samples by jenkwang, on Flickr

It still works.
Lots of good memories and 4R prints with it (and it was just a 3mp camera).

I will share some picts when I get to it on my other PC.

My 1st DSLR was the *istDL, I bought it in June 2006 for $999, came with 18-55mm Kit. I was a good deal at that time. Then name *istDL does sound strange but this 6.1Mp Camera took very good shots. Begining of my Digital Learning Curve. I still have it, hand over to my wife.

WOW! Nice shot, this is a Fantastic Lens, Image is Sharp, Colour is so rich & I Love the Bokeh.

Yes, but how would you have said *istD if you had gone into a shop to buy one? 'That digital SLR that Pentax have just brought out', probably! :)

The Optio 430RS was almost S$1100 when I bought it at Changi Airport well over ten years ago. The 330 had much better reviews, as I found out later. The *istD was pushing S$3000 when it first came out here - that was with the (not very good) FAJ 18-35 kit lens.

AFAIK
Its pronounced "ist" "D" :D
Or "ist" "digital"
But yeah... they would have needed some explanation for anyone to know and still a bit weird asking " I'd like to look at the "ist" " when purchasing in a shop :D

I do think *istD was in the ballpark of $3K, $3K+ at that time.
Man! that was quite some time ago.

As for the Optio 330, I just compared specs at Best in Taka, it was not as easy getting info like now with just a google search on any conceivable model.
So much poison nowadays on camera stuff with forums (way better now), access to google searches and ebay :D

My 1st DSLR was the *istDL, I bought it in June 2006 for $999, came with 18-55mm Kit. I was a good deal at that time. Then name *istDL does sound strange but this 6.1Mp Camera took very good shots. Begining of my Digital Learning Curve. I still have it, hand over to my wife.

WOW! Nice shot, this is a Fantastic Lens, Image is Sharp, Colour is so rich & I Love the Bokeh.

Thanks, its a very nice lens.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences & memories.
This thread has generated so much interest that currently there are 1,520 views.:thumbsup:

In fact, my first Pentax DSLR was the *istD which I bought in KL.
It was then converted to IR and sold to another forum chap, which I not sure it's still with him.

Moving forward, my next was K20D from MS Color for S$1.8K
Then again moving further K7 Silver from Japan (now also converted to IR), K5 Silver from Emjay and currently K3 Silver.

Also has a pre-owned K10D converted to IR.

If anyone interested in IR, we can share ideas....

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences & memories. This thread has generated so much interest that currently there are 1,520 views.:thumbsup: In fact, my first Pentax DSLR was the *istD which I bought in KL. It was then converted to IR and sold to another forum chap, which I not sure it's still with him. Moving forward, my next was K20D from MS Color for S$1.8K Then again moving further K7 Silver from Japan (now also converted to IR), K5 Silver from Emjay and currently K3 Silver. Also has a pre-owned K10D converted to IR. If anyone interested in IR, we can share ideas....
Where to convert to IR ar. Thinking of buying a k10D and converting it to IR.

My 1st foray into the digital world was with a Canon S2 IS in 2003, but I hated the output as it was not as nice as film and at ISO1600 ws super grainy. Then in 2007, I bought my 1st DSLR the K10D from an old friend. After 1.5 years in 2009, I moved to the K20D and another 1.5 years, in 2011, to the K7.

In 2012, 1 year later, decided to go for the K5 as I needed better AF for shooting school events. In 2013, got the K30 and now 2014, the K3 Silver. This would likely be my last body until it dies on me. I am going to invest in lenses instead.

My 1st foray into the digital world was with a Canon S2 IS in 2003, but I hated the output as it was not as nice as film and at ISO1600 ws super grainy. Then in 2007, I bought my 1st DSLR the K10D from an old friend. After 1.5 years in 2009, I moved to the K20D and another 1.5 years, in 2011, to the K7.

In 2012, 1 year later, decided to go for the K5 as I needed better AF for shooting school events. In 2013, got the K30 and now 2014, the K3 Silver. This would likely be my last body until it dies on me. I am going to invest in lenses instead.

I need to confer the award, PENTAXIAN FOR LIFE CUM SUPER PENTAXIAN DIGITAL for owning the most pentax digital camera over the years,;):)

otc

I need to confer the award, PENTAXIAN FOR LIFE CUM SUPER PENTAXIAN DIGITAL for owning the most pentax digital camera over the years,;):)

otc

Hahaha....clap clap

Hahaha....clap clap

JOE, Your lens collection also unique. Your recent leica 90 mm macro converted, A50f1.2 n A85 f1.4 and and and..

Those are exotic series.:thumbsup:

what else is not reveal? ;)

otc

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences & memories.
This thread has generated so much interest that currently there are 1,520 views.:thumbsup:

In fact, my first Pentax DSLR was the *istD which I bought in KL.
It was then converted to IR and sold to another forum chap, which I not sure it's still with him.

Moving forward, my next was K20D from MS Color for S$1.8K
Then again moving further K7 Silver from Japan (now also converted to IR), K5 Silver from Emjay and currently K3 Silver.

Also has a pre-owned K10D converted to IR.

If anyone interested in IR, we can share ideas....

Buddy! What is the meaning of IR?
I have an *istDL
Im interested to know > Thank you

JOE, Your lens collection also unique. Your recent leica 90 mm macro converted, A50f1.2 n A85 f1.4 and and and..

Those are exotic series.:thumbsup:

what else is not reveal? ;)

otc

Correction...is leica 60mm macro :). Not much liao to reveal lolxx...not a collector so keep those i really like and always use....my next wish is 645Z/D if FF not coming....lolxx. Thx man...hope to meet up u all more often...

My 1st Pentax is a Spotmatic II during 1973 to 78 $CA021.jpg
This pic taken in 1973 with a 85mm portrait lens borrowed from a friend. Exposed with Kodachrome 64 & scanned with Epson V600 scanner.
My 2nd Pentax is a pair of ME Super bought in 1984 & one is still with me but not used for 20 years

Last edited: