Migration to Mark III

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the longer focal lengths are mainly for shooting sports, birding, and bragging rights :D. I don't do much of all 3, so I rather go for cheaper (relatively) lenses like the 85 1.2L

But the longer focal lengths are mainly for shooting sports, birding, and bragging rights :D. I don't do much of all 3, so I rather go for cheaper (relatively) lenses like the 85 1.2L

It is not for birds...too short for that purpose. 300mm is just nice for concert and shots when you are in the school hall. From behind the hall you can get a full height shot of the people on stage about 40meters away. For sports day it is also a beauty to use.....the bokeh you get from it is just so sweet!:heart:

It is not for birds...too short for that purpose.
Not entirely true...I do know of a couple of people who use 300mm f2.8 or its equivalent with a 2x TC solely for birding. And they produce awesome results too. Its so sharp it can be used with a 2x TC with fairly minimal image degradation, esp. if you stop down to f8 and smaller.

Not entirely true...I do know of a couple of people who use 300mm f2.8 or its equivalent with a 2x TC solely for birding. And they produce awesome results too.

Well, they have to use 2X TC, because the 300mm is too short.:bsmilie: 300mm by itself is not long enough for birding!

Hmm, I suppose so, but for school sports day... one day a year?... then you have concerts... maybe at most 5 major ones by school a year? I don't feel it justifies the investment in a supertelephoto lens for me, even if the bokeh is so sweet :D, since I'm perfectly happy with my 70-200 2.8 for these events.

But the 1d Mk3...thats something different :):):)

Well, they have to use 2X TC, because the 300mm is too short.:bsmilie: 300mm by itself is not long enough for birding!
Yes agree on the latter part of your statement...but you are missing my main point I was trying to get across..that the 300mm coupled with a 2x TC makes for a surprisingly decent 600mm f5.6, especially for those who can't afford or cannot handle the weight and size of the longer superteles.

In that respect the 300mm f2.8 can be used for birding too...but of course using the 2x TC does come with its downside, e.g slower AF, light reduction of two stops, and loss of contrast and micro sharpness.

In the end it boils down to two things: budget and personal preference. The 300mm f2.8 is an amazing lens not just because it is sharp by itself, but its versatility with the 1.4x and 2x TCs makes it popular with some wildlife shooters as well. (e.g going on safari tours in Africa etc.)

Really sorry for the OT. Back to the 1DMkIII topic...

Hmm, I suppose so, but for school sports day... one day a year?... then you have concerts... maybe at most 5 major ones by school a year? I don't feel it justifies the investment in a supertelephoto lens for me, even if the bokeh is so sweet :D, since I'm perfectly happy with my 70-200 2.8 for these events.

But the 1d Mk3...thats something different :):):)

Different pple different priorities... the BBB virus species differs.. Lightning already have 1DM2 so 1dMK3 doesn't make much diff to him unlike a 300mm f2.8L. Sometimes not all things need to justify one.. as long as you happy.. Life's short :bsmilie:

Yeah, for me 1D Mk3 is the peak I can aspire to at the moment (eyeing the 1ds Mk3). But I'm just not sure if I really need it or not, see as the 5D is 2k cheaper, with FF (saving up for mini's 300 f2.8L eh)

Yeah, for me 1D Mk3 is the peak I can aspire to at the moment (eyeing the 1ds Mk3). But I'm just not sure if I really need it or not, see as the 5D is 2k cheaper, with FF (saving up for mini's 300 f2.8L eh)

300f2.8L not mine.. :sweat: I don't dare to think about it... actually 5D also you don't need it lah.. there is nothing that you really need.. BBB virus will keep chewing on your bones till you tell yourself you need it :bsmilie:

true true, I should be happy with a PnS too, but the BBB virus got me!!

go go go BBB~~ i want the mIII and 28-300~~ haha.. =) too bad i got other commitments on hand

300f2.8L not mine.. :sweat: I don't dare to think about it... actually 5D also you don't need it lah.. there is nothing that you really need.. BBB virus will keep chewing on your bones till you tell yourself you need it :bsmilie:

it's a man thing. hehe..

I'm considering the replacement of 5D as well, I believe Canon will have another leap for this model, otherwise how to nail Nikon with a Ant jump....lol

I'm considering the replacement of 5D as well, I believe Canon will have another leap for this model, otherwise how to nail Nikon with a Ant jump....lol

Canon doesn't have to worry about Nikon as far as the 5D is concerned. No one else has an equivalent model. For all we know, they might just do a 30D-style "refresh" model for the successor of the 5D.

Canon doesn't have to worry about Nikon as far as the 5D is concerned. No one else has an equivalent model. For all we know, they might just do a 30D-style "refresh" model for the successor of the 5D.

right in the dot arpinkor!

I forgotten Canon is already miles ahead of Nikon......why still worry :dunno: :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.