Metering problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
roti_prata said:
its impossible to get good exposure for the whole frame with any current camera since no consumer camera will sync fast enough to fill flash.

u can close ur window or use a grad ND filter which is essentially a piece of glass tt is half tainted. the tainted half will act as sun glasses to reduce the glare from the open window while the clear half will allow light from the dog. the difference is definitely more thn 3 stops so u'll need to stack filters at the cost of img quality. then u can matrix meter(as in meter the whole frame)

manual will help if ur cam allows.

getting the 9500 wont help in such shots.

frankly, i think the window is too bright for all consumer and most prosumer cameras w/o filters. meaning lowest iso+smallest apature+fastest shutter still = over exposed
Just turn on the on camera flash. Consumer cameras doesn't use a focal plane travelling shutter curtain so it can sync at any speed.

up the exposure (care less for the even more over expos window cause u r going for the dog) or even better... use flash........

lsisaxon said:
Just turn on the on camera flash. Consumer cameras doesn't use a focal plane travelling shutter curtain so it can sync at any speed.
:embrass: oops i forgot that. but then again, the flash wont be powerful enough to make the dog match the window. even if it does, the 2nd problem of too-bright-for-consumer cameras will apply.:bsmilie:

student said:
So the dark dog becomes a light grey dog? Or even a white dog?

tat depends on the TS doesn't it?

i'm not trying to make a perfect dog, just suggesting how TS can make his dog. Do share your metering/exposure suggestions/views?

foxtwo said:
tat depends on the TS doesn't it?

i'm not trying to make a perfect dog, just suggesting how TS can make his dog. Do share your metering/exposure suggestions/views?

Of course, all depends on the TS.

If theTS wants his dark dog to look like a white dog, then he should follow your advice.

If he wants his dark dog to look like his dark dog, then he should ignore your advice.

But the TS is refering the in camera spot metering, and it is belong to reflected-light metering, if this is a black dog, the meter shows f5.6, and he shoot f5.6, the dog will come out become gray dog isn't it?

if this is the white dog, meter shows f11, and he shoot at f11, the dog also come out as gray dog also, am I correct?

Unless the TS using incident light meter, shoot as what meter shows, the dog should come out as it is.

catchlights said:
But the TS is refering the in camera spot metering, and it is belong to reflected-light metering, if this is a black dog, the meter shows f5.6, and he shoot f5.6, the dog will come out become gray dog isn't it?

if this is the white dog, meter shows f11, and he shoot at f11, the dog also come out as gray dog also, am I correct?

Unless the TS using incident light meter, shoot as what meter shows, the dog should come out as it is.

Yes, you are absolutely right!

Thanks student for the clarification, hope it is not too confusing to others about incident light and reflected-light metering method.

haiya!~ bottom line is avoid such high contrast shots

catchlights said:

as TS has done it in his first post, but he felt it was a little underexposed.

if object is static.. mutliple exposure shot can be used..

foxtwo said:
as TS has done it in his first post, but he felt it was a little underexposed.

I am really sorry.

I read the first post three times very carefully.

Where was it written that the TS was using an incident meter, referring to your quote from catchlights?

I'm confuss also.. TS mention using camera spot metering on post #1....

But agreed with you that the dog looks a little underexpose

doesn't the word 'unless' mean 'except on the condition'. i feel even more sorry for any errors in my understanding of the english language.

foxtwo said:
i feel even more sorry for any errors in my understanding of the english language.

I have never been good at English! So my apologies for my errors. But let me try to dissect the English to the best of my ability. Maybe it is still wrong, But I will try anyway.

Catchlights said " unless the TS using incident meter, shoot as what meter shows, the dog should come out as it is". Meaning, if the TS had used the metering recorded by an incident meter, the dog show be correctly exposed". Of course we know that the TS did not use an incident meter.

You replied to Catchlights comments, "as TS has done......". The particular phrase you quoted was "unless the TS using incident lightmeter..."

Now what does your statement "as TS has done" mean? My English is poor. But it seems to me that, referring to Catchlights comments " as TS has Done" meant that TS has used the incident meter. You can disagree on my interpretation of your comment, and it is fine with me.

But your advice on using the spotmeter is completely wrong. And giving wrong advice is worse than not giving any advice at all. And this has nothing to do with English.

student said:
You replied to Catchlights comments, "as TS has done......". The particular phrase you quoted was "unless the TS using incident lightmeter..."

Now what does your statement "as TS has done" mean? My English is poor. But it seems to me that, referring to Catchlights comments " as TS has Done" meant that TS has used the incident meter. You can disagree on my interpretation of your comment, and it is fine with me.

oh okay, yeah misinterpretations all round for that one. i only thought of cutting off the earlier paragraphs and not the sentence.

student said:
But your advice on using the spotmeter is completely wrong.

Hah, yes i would admit (and quite so clearly be seen) that i am not so far ahead in the photographic field. if you could offer some time and correct my mistake, i can only ask you to be straightforward as the wording in previous posts rather befuddled me on what you were trying to correct me on.

student said:
And giving wrong advice is worse than not giving any advice at all.

And it would be worst to continue offering wrong advice in the evidence of correct advice?

well, i would not know it is wrong until i gave it and been rightly advised. people learn from wrong advice as much as they learn from asking questions, 'of cos no one will specifically ask for wrong advise, but i see it as just another method of clarification. everyone learns what's wrong, most of all the wrong adviser.

just as well i do it in a public forum and not privately to someone who gets misled and not know it.

roti_prata said:
its impossible to get good exposure for the whole frame with any current camera since no consumer camera will sync fast enough to fill flash.

u can close ur window or use a grad ND filter which is essentially a piece of glass tt is half tainted. the tainted half will act as sun glasses to reduce the glare from the open window while the clear half will allow light from the dog. the difference is definitely more thn 3 stops so u'll need to stack filters at the cost of img quality. then u can matrix meter(as in meter the whole frame)

manual will help if ur cam allows.

getting the 9500 wont help in such shots.

frankly, i think the window is too bright for all consumer and most prosumer cameras w/o filters. meaning lowest iso+smallest apature+fastest shutter still = over exposed

my camera has manual exposure settings (aperture, shutter), and i was using manual. what can i do?

as someone said, this is a test pic and i was trying to see if its possible to expose the entire picture "uniformly". looks like very difficult to do it :(

catchlights said:
Thanks student for the clarification, hope it is not too confusing to others about incident light and reflected-light metering method.

lol. definetely it is confusing :p
sounds italian to me!!

sorry my level not high enough can someone be kind enough to explain incident and reflected light metering?

although i may not understand fully the replies, i must say thank you to all who (tried to) help!!

hmmm, i did a re-read the whole thread again...
if i meter the background, then use flash to light up the dog as what JediForce4ever has said, will i get a somewhat "uniform" exposed picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.