Marina Bay Sand at night

This should not be the focus of photography, but knowing how light and your camera interact can help in the process of taking a photo. :)

I agree with that. But arguing over the definitions of technical terms / which term is the correct one to use for a certain situation doesn't get you anywhere.

Hmm..I'm not so understand about it:think:.. Do you mean that with my camera 550D and sigma lens i can capture a bigger image without buying a bigger lens?

For 550D user is 18-55mm still suitable for landscapes or do i need to go for wider lens?:)

For 550D user is 18-55mm still suitable for landscapes or do i need to go for wider lens?:)

I don't know if you'd be used to ultra wide angle, because 18mm is considered wide angle? Not everyone can get used to it, u see the bns section, sometimes u see people get UWA awhile, regret, and sell. There is no best advice, but between renting one and getting a kit lens, i'd go for kit lens. Sometimes it takes more than one or two days of shooting to learn how to get used to a lens, i think. Since a kit lens is not expensive, u can get one, and if u still feel limited by it, then get one UWA if u wanna go wider or need to go wider. Just my 2 cents.

It depends on a couple of things. UWAs are not just used for getting a wider field of view - 18mm on a crop body should be sufficient most of the time depending on where/what you shoot, it's also the perspective distortion that makes them unique. If you know how to use this distortion to your advantage, they will definitely give you better, more unique photos. But if you don't know how to use/control the distortion, you will end up with horrible photos which look really strange and ugly.

Thanks Nite.I think I'll go for 18-55 and a zoom lens(still seaching).

It depends on a couple of things. UWAs are not just used for getting a wider field of view - 18mm on a crop body should be sufficient most of the time depending on where/what you shoot, it's also the perspective distortion that makes them unique. If you know how to use this distortion to your advantage, they will definitely give you better, more unique photos. But if you don't know how to use/control the distortion, you will end up with horrible photos which look really strange and ugly.

Thanks Nite.I think I'll go for 18-55 and a zoom lens(still seaching).

That is why even I have the budget, I'll still stick with my kit lens to learn, since there are still so much more to learn. Don't wanna jump into something and introduce somewhat of an even steeper learning curve.

As for zoom lens, that one I think is a tougher choice. :D

Ok..well noted your message.Hope my next post image will better than this one. Thanks to all.

All of my picture is not sharp(blur).Is my lens got problem? What can i do with my lens ?It still under warranty.Do i need to buy new lens? What are the lens i should buy?

Bro, what you need to improve on is your basic photography skill, books, forums, peers are all excellent sources of knowledge. We all have been through this stage, keep trying, keep shooting! ;)

take heed from what fellow members has suggested above :)

For birding, i'm not sure if 250mm is enough. People in "world of nature" gallery normally use 300mm with 2x teleconverter or sigma 50-500, etc. Unless you want to shoot pigeons or swan only.

Nothing wrong with buying wider lens, but buy the good one, so you won't waste time buying and selling it. I bet you will need it in certain situation where stitching images is impossible.

That is why even I have the budget, I'll still stick with my kit lens to learn, since there are still so much more to learn. Don't wanna jump into something and introduce somewhat of an even steeper learning curve.

As for zoom lens, that one I think is a tougher choice. :D

but warning. the BBB virus strikes very easily :bsmilie:

LOL. IMHO. making photography too technical takes the fun outta it.

For birding, i'm not sure if 250mm is enough. People in "world of nature" gallery normally use 300mm with 2x teleconverter or sigma 50-500, etc. Unless you want to shoot pigeons or swan only.

Nothing wrong with buying wider lens, but buy the good one, so you won't waste time buying and selling it. I bet you will need it in certain situation where stitching images is impossible.

For wider lens and zoom lens(birding),how we consider a good one or good enough one?:)

but warning. the BBB virus strikes very easily :bsmilie:

LOL. IMHO. making photography too technical takes the fun outta it.

What is BBB virus?:think:

For wider lens and zoom lens(birding),how we consider a good one or good enough one?:)

Join landscape/birding outing, find the most poisonous lens there ;)

Or you can read the reviews, there are so many threads on clubsnap discussing "which UWA lens is good".

Like he say, 24mm is still the 24mm lens so is the Angle of View (also known as FOV - Field of View) cos it is still the same lens.

Definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_of_view

I think angle of view as seen by the camera, yes, the lens will give the same angle of view, but once mounted on different body (read: FF and Crop) the effective angle of view will be different (i say effective because it will the one that is being seen in the VF as well as by the sensor). However, focal length doesn't change. I believe it is the effective focal length..

I believe we all missed out in the term true value and effective value, as true value would not change, only the effective value would differ from body to body (FF, 1.5x crop or 1.6x crop)

correct me if i am wrong, though.. ;)

What is BBB virus?:think:

don't bother with BBB virus, just stay away from it if you can..

I think what you should get infected with is the LLL virus (LearnLearnLearn)..

techniques are more important at your stage than buying new lenses..
just like buying car, there is no point buying a lamborghini if you know nothing about driving, rite? :)

make use of your current equipment, the best camera is the camera that you have as the saying goes..

when the time comes, you can in fact learn how to stitch panorama image, using the lens that you have now..

as for the image, i believe it is more of a focusing problem.. if you are using tripod, set any image/lens/sensor stabiliser mechanism off.. then learn what is the sweet aperture of your lens, and set to mirror up mode (if any) and timer (or remote).. If possible, make the tripod more stable by trying not to extend the center column and hang some weight from the centre of column if there is a hook there (use the concept of center of gravity to make it more balanced)..

I am sure my method is far from perfect, so ask around..
I believe that good technique will yield more result than just having high end equipments..