Marina Bay Sand at night

All of my picture is not sharp(blur).Is my lens got problem? What can i do with my lens ?It still under warranty.Do i need to buy new lens? What are the lens i should buy?

its a user problem (yourself).

nothing to do with your lens.

the way u use your lens and camera is wrong.

i suggest u join some outings here and learn from others.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49

U need to learn the correct technique of shooting landscape and night photography. There are a lot of materials within CS, do take a look around
The other thing is it might be ur tripod being not sturdy enough, what brand/model are you using? Make sure it is something capable enough of holding ur equipment

Then again there's a possibility that the lens was on manual mode instead of AUTO.
TS did not checked and fired away.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments and advises.I'm a newbie , therefore i'm not familar with the setting but i'll try. For the above picture i used tripod,w.remote,TV function and sigma28-300 non OS lens. I heard my friend said 28mm should be able to capture the whole marina bay sand but my one why cannot!!?? I never crop the picture but i reduced the size. Now i abit confuse.I don't know where go wrong???:confused:
Can you take a photo of your tripod and post up?

My niggling suspicion (can't confirm) is that your tripod is not stable enough. That may not be the only contributing factor, but somehow I think it's the main one...

Also, I would encourage you to buy a lens with a shorter focal length.
Perhaps the venerable 18-55 kit lens? Should be pretty affordable at 2nd hand prices.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the positive comments and advises.I'm a newbie , therefore i'm not familar with the setting but i'll try. For the above picture i used tripod,w.remote,TV function and sigma28-300 non OS lens. I heard my friend said 28mm should be able to capture the whole marina bay sand but my one why cannot!!?? I never crop the picture but i reduced the size. Now i abit confuse.I don't know where go wrong???:confused:

24mm (in full frame terms) will be enough for the entire MBS cluster, if you are standing infront of One Fullerton. That means you need a focal length of around 15 or 16mm f you are using a camera with a crop factor.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arkitecture/4849294959/in/set-72157623105328306/

As mentione before, the "lack of sharpness" could not have been due to lack of depth of field because its too pronounced, given the distance of your subject and the focal length you used. Make sure you are focussing on a part of the building and not elsewhere and that your camera is actually focussed onto the building before taking the photo. There could be a whole lot of reasons why this shot went wrong but I suspect you mishandled the camera.

I'm using Benro tripod.Is it good enough to hold the camera with lens? Yes,i'll buy a wide lens.:)

By the way my name is Bambang.;)

Hi KIT, you r right,I was standing infront of One Fullerton. What do u mean by camera with crop factor?:think:

Hi KIT, you r right,I was standing infront of One Fullerton. What do u mean by camera with crop factor?:think:

Canon 500D, 550D, 60D and 7D are crop cameras which means they carries a crop factor of 1.6 times the original focal length of a lens (24mm x 1.6 = 45mm)

Canon 5DMKII, 1Ds are full frame cameras which means what u see is what you get (24mm means 24mm)

go google the difference btw crop vs full frame cameras.

Also, I would encourage you to buy a lens with a shorter focal length.
Perhaps the venerable 18-55 kit lens? Should be pretty affordable at 2nd hand prices.

I second this.

Bambang. Why not get this EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens if you don't have one?

I don't have EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens.I seldom use camera and got 0 knowledge about it, so when i bought my cam+sigma lens is actually according to the shop keeper recommendation . He told me 28-300 is better than 18-55.

I don't have EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens.I seldom use camera and got 0 knowledge about it, so when i bought my cam+sigma lens is actually according to the shop keeper recommendation . He told me 28-300 is better than 18-55.

u most probably got duped in some way or another. ;p

most times, it would be wise to do your homework before purchasing something.
it's not about how much you can spend but how to spend it wisely.
this forum has alot of good information you can gather, if searching for answers fail then post a question, i'm sure there are people who are willing to help.

the sigma 28-300 is a DG lens, meaning it is meant for a full frame camera like 1D or 5D. A crop frame camera like the 550D is still good using a lens meant for full frame.

however, this is where is crop factor comes in. read this link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_factor

the crop factor for the 550D is 1.6x but I will just use 1.5x for ease.
the 18-200 is the equivalent lens on a crop frame camera like the 550D to the 28-300 on a full frame camera. 18x1.5=27 and 200x1.5=300.

I won't say 18-200 is the best lens around but a zoom like this from wide to telephoto meant that it suit most (not all) common zoom range.

recommendation is still for you to get the canon 18-55.

Hi TS,

Based on what i see, I'm suspecting a focusing issue as opposed to depth-of-field issue.

You probably were on MF? And since the 550D viewfinder is small focus was slightly off, thus unsharp.My guess.

was there few days ago, my observation on the 1st pic I took of the building at night near the helix bridge is that it seems difficult to lock focus, not sure why though. Hence most likely is due to focus problem. I took some of my shots at manual focus at F4, ISO3200 as no tripod, sharpness is acceptable. a link to the photo that I was refering to http://www.flickr.com/photos/soohk/5331599136/

was there few days ago, my observation on the 1st pic I took of the building at night near the helix bridge is that it seems difficult to lock focus, not sure why though. Hence most likely is due to focus problem. I took some of my shots at manual focus at F4, ISO3200 as no tripod, sharpness is acceptable. a link to the photo that I was refering to http://www.flickr.com/photos/soohk/5331599136/

u can do manual focus instead of relying on AF. i find manual focus more useful at night.

nice pics.

If your focussing point falls on a dark spot, you will most probably not be able to focus since the cameras read contrast for focussing. Other than that, there's no reason why AF won't work for scenes like these.