Manual focusing. Why so proud of it?

Nothing made my human can focus better than God's creation. Manufacturer of fine lenses like Canon can also testify to my statement.

Take Canon 135mm f2 L lens for example, it allows you to manually to manually fine tune it focus, after the auto focus.

so profound, i understand every word but none of the sentence.

I feel proud whenever I manually focus successfully, because most of the time I suck badly at it...But what the heck, I only manual focus when my AF failed me. Manual focusing just for the sake of manual focusing or showing off is really, really stupid

I started off with SLRs so those doesn't have AF lenses back then when I borrowed my cousin's Nikon system for a short period of time during my sch days. Till I purchase my first DSLR in 2008, I'm still on MF due to habit but now, I'm starting to learning AF as well. Though AF does have quite a number of misses but I have to admit that my MF is no where better :bsmilie:.

Like many said, use whichever mode that helps you get the shot you want is most important. Having to learn MF is to help you when situation arises which AF hunts forever for your desired focus point. I used to have the same question as you and I even started a thread and poll for me to gather information as well. Nothing to be proud of using MF, it is just part of our learning curve.

Autofocus may not be focusing where you think it is!
It’s not common for consumer-level cameras to show the indicated focus points slightly off from where the camera actually focuses! In other words, that focusing point might be to the left/right or top/bottom of where the AF system is actually looking.
You can test for this error by focusing at the edge of a building, edge of a chart, etc; place the focus sensor (as seen in the viewfinder) at the very edge and watch where the camera focuses (use single shot focus mode). Repeat this for different sensors and for left versus right. Shoot in portrait and landscape mode as well.
Happily, few “real” subjects require this sort of precision, with the possible exception of 50mm and 85mm f1.2 and f1.4 lenses, on subjects such as eyes, where even a slight focus error can reduce the “pop” of having a critical sharp eye surface against a blurrier background. In most cases, the wider-aperture lenses do help the autofocus system focus more precisely.

Suffice to say AF/MF system nowadays act as a safety barrier for DSLRs.If AF system
failed at least there's MF to fall back on not left one in a lurch.

many times in photography, it's the process of taking and processing the picture.

MF can be important in so many scenarios that choosing not to use or learn it, is only handicapping what you can do.

Well i actually really don't bother with how people want to shoot their pictures, just curios what's so great about it and some people must just swear by it even if they end up wit a oof shot. I know the af technology is there just to assist and for further fine focusing, mf is the way to go. Anyway i am one of those people who will still pp my pic after a shoot. So with af, when focusing at the eye, if i'm not happy with the sharpness after pixel peeping, for me there is always a proper usage of unsharp mask. I know some do not "cheat" as shot die die produced by camera must be accurate, but hey its up to one's personal preference. :)

Well i actually really don't bother with how people want to shoot their pictures, just curios what's so great about it and some people must just swear by it even if they end up wit a oof shot. I know the af technology is there just to assist and for further fine focusing, mf is the way to go. Anyway i am one of those people who will still pp my pic after a shoot. So with af, when focusing at the eye, if i'm not happy with the sharpness after pixel peeping, for me there is always a proper usage of unsharp mask. I know some do not "cheat" as shot die die produced by camera must be accurate, but hey its up to one's personal preference. :)

Go and google "focus shift" and you will understand why some choose not only to do manual focusing but to use totally manual focus lens with no automatic aperture control.

MF can be important in so many scenarios that choosing not to use or learn it, is only handicapping what you can do.

so is guestimating exposure straight out from head instead of using camera meter.

so are many things in life, like mental sums, instead of using calculator for everything and anything........

i think everyone has different needs. i use mf also, but i think ts point is not that MF is useless, it is that it is not 100% essential.. and that is something that no one can deny.

so is guestimating exposure straight out from head instead of using camera meter.

so are many things in life, like mental sums, instead of using calculator for everything and anything........

i think everyone has different needs. i use mf also, but i think ts point is not that MF is useless, it is that it is not 100% essential.. and that is something that no one can deny.

But that still depends on the use of the individual. For example, using my 500D for video, it is always on 100% MF cos the contrast-AF 1) sux and 2) focusing sound that is captured in the video.

I am proud of doing manual focusing and producing decent results with my old MF lens..coz it gives a sense of satisfaction since I'll have to do manual metering too...however, whenever I am using my AF lens, I almost use AF for 99% of the time...manual onli if AF don't work...nv reli thot of doing it for the sake of doing coz it takes longer tm and is less accurate... No choice then use MF coz MF lens are so affordable... but if there's AF function, why waste?:bsmilie:haha...end of the day the pic not sharp oso like tt:embrass:

Last edited:
I think:

manual focus + sharp photos = proud
auto focus + sharp photos = proud
manual focus + blur photos = not proud
auto focus + blur photos = not proud

AF can be unreliable at times, that's when MF comes in. I'm rather a believer that both MF and AF has it usage depending on situations ;).

manual focus + sharp photos = proud
auto focus + sharp photos = proud
manual focus + blur photos = not proud
auto focus + blur photos = not proud

is it, for some people, they use manual focus, not sharp, and become famous. :bsmilie:

sharpness is overrated.

is it, for some people, they use manual focus, not sharp, and become famous. :bsmilie:

sharpness is overrated.

ya, now that i recalled... its the subject that matters.

no matter how OOF a shot is taken either AF or MF, if its a chio model, nobody will bother and unanimously cheer NOSEBLEED!

ya, now that i recalled... its the subject that matters.

no matter how OOF a shot is taken either AF or MF, if its a chio model, nobody will bother and unanimously cheer NOSEBLEED!

no, it is also the camera that matters.

if you take auntie model, but you post 1d mark IV on the borders,

or even better, nikon d3 iso 25600, all nosebleed also. :bsmilie:

oh dear, didn't know that owning or using manual focusing lens can be so proud of it, I disposed all my manual focusing lenses as far as I can when I switch to auto focusing lens, guess I have to update myself for the IN thing consistently.

btw, I still have a medium format film camera with few manual focusing lenses, like this can be proud or not har? should I bring it to outing to how lian a bit can?