Managers, what will you do if you got retrenched?

Managers, what if you got retrenched?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly, I am happy for you that your boss is forwarding thinking, very delibrate in making decisions, who never resort to letting go of people at the drop of the hat and who is also demanding, opportunistic but fair (or that is you to your employees heh) ... if only my boss had those traits then I would not have to toss my bye bye letter to his face recently bad as the economy is. :sweat:

Taking your example for instance, if the solution you dream up to save your bacon is good and does not cost money to implement, probably you'll get a shot to try it and keep your fingers crossed it will bear fruit ...on the short term.

But when company fund's tight and your solution cost the company money, risky, takes too long to quantify and is an untried idea, they just might take the idea, fire you and delegate someone cheaper to try it out .....or hire a cheaper new staff to do the work......or wait till they have the funds to do it later when the economical climate improves to take the risk......minus you.

Short sighteness in business is still very common in Singapore. There are exceptions to the rule but it's rare.....even in good times.

ask you to come work with me you don't want
companies are looking to keep the talent who will bring the company out of the recession and drive it to new heights, managers who sit and worry will do nothing
managers who sit and think of solutions and possibilities will.

why wait, make yourself valuable to your company and you will not be retrenched
simple right

make yourself valuable is good try, I'd extend to say make yourself valuable to other companies too & increase your chance to secure a new job. this means generic skills , and not so much on being expert in current company's way of working, memories the bill of material of all current projects & products etc.

Interestingly, nobody chose "Drive a Taxi" yet. Maybe because drive taxi can hardly make $2,000 a month?

I would agree that it is probably too late in the ball game to show your value. Like it or not, most of the time is how much you are being liked by your higher ups that counts. Delivering some value is important, but most bosses are not very objective. Almost always, it is down to who you know and how much they like you. :dunno:

why wait, make yourself valuable to your company and you will not be retrenched
simple right

Hah! Just got axed today as part of the company's workforce reduction. ;p And it's got absolutely nothing to do with performance. ;p When a company needs to axe to reduce cost, they've got to axe.

Can consider photography as a stop gap solution...

Hah! Just got axed today as part of the company's workforce reduction. ;p And it's got absolutely nothing to do with performance. ;p When a company needs to axe to reduce cost, they've got to axe.

Can consider photography as a stop gap solution...

you kena axed??? :bigeyes: :cry:

Like it or not, most of the time is how much you are being liked by your higher ups that counts. Delivering some value is important, but most bosses are not very objective. Almost always, it is down to who you know and how much they like you. :dunno:

the two (like, performance aka value) are still linked. I cannot see how mgt will like someone who does not do a good job and only TCSS all day or worse screw up things.

Unfortunately, the mgt who like someone may not have the power to keep the person either. I see very good employees who were highly regarded by mgt and got all sorts of internal awards even say they drive the industry forward, get retrenched when company needs to save cost (because good people are expensive) . Sad but it happens.

you kena axed??? :bigeyes: :cry:

Yup.. about 200 of us I guess.. ;p Anyone needs antenna/electrical/mechanical/RF/software engineers?

Last edited:
My own part-time business ventures has not been doing well. Does not even make enough to pay the bills.Am thinking winding up the business and go into food business, but that seems to be everyone's thoughts. Also, may have to let go of my current staff. Kind of a b*tch to think I would have to do that.

Interestingly, nobody chose "Drive a Taxi" yet. Maybe because drive taxi can hardly make $2,000 a month?

I would agree that it is probably too late in the ball game to show your value. Like it or not, most of the time is how much you are being liked by your higher ups that counts. Delivering some value is important, but most bosses are not very objective. Almost always, it is down to who you know and how much they like you. :dunno:

Drive taxi I sure get lost one...:embrass:

make yourself valuable is good try, I'd extend to say make yourself valuable to other companies too & increase your chance to secure a new job. this means generic skills , and not so much on being expert in current company's way of working, memories the bill of material of all current projects & products etc.

Well this is the modern age, alot of the old rules does not apply anymore. There would be a time where having just one skill would be enough to get you thru your career till you retire but as jobs goes now, we have to be able to see beyond that....sometime not just 2 or 3 but 4 or more job skills.

It no longer just about doing it "generally" well but being familair with it in depth as well. With each leap in technology new jobs are born but there is the sad fact that alot more gets lost. Replaced.

Each generation that joins the workforce bring a little bit more to the game table thus those already at the game table with nothing more to offer besides what they know, will be called out.

My own part-time business ventures has not been doing well. Does not even make enough to pay the bills.Am thinking winding up the business and go into food business, but that seems to be everyone's thoughts. Also, may have to let go of my current staff. Kind of a b*tch to think I would have to do that.

Tough decision to make man. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. In this case to cut your loses and run. At least if you are still able to control it in a sense that you are able to plan the time and manner to do it is better then when it come unexpectedly ..even to you then that would be a really tough place to be in.

There should be an option to sign on , or join the civil service , they are recruiting heavily .

Food business also not easy nowadays...rental hasn't fallen that much to cover for the drop in number of people eating out.

(Anyway...who am I to give advise...have not been in business ever before. Maybe when its my turn to kanna the you know what, I have to come to you for advise...)

Yup.. about 200 of us I guess.. ;p Anyone needs antenna/electrical/mechanical/RF/software engineers?

holly molly! my sincere... um.... best wishes to you mate. :(

200 kena axed... how big was your work force man... don't tell me now left only boss and secretary :bsmilie:

if there's still sales, then try to endure. If sales is diminishing, then just hang it up for the time being. Sometimes no point sustaining a down hill firm.

I tried and failed 3 ventures. I know how it feels like. :cry:

There should be an option to sign on , or join the civil service , they are recruiting heavily .

hmm... sometimes I really wonder if civil service always ended up collecting pariahs during time like these... but no offense to those kena axed and thought of joining.

wah 200? all engineers? motorola? what other company carrying out big retrenchment?

Am trying to hold out until after Chinese New Year. it's very difficult to endure as it's a video rental shop. I mean how many people rent VCD and DVD these days? More than 80% of my customers on record has not rented anything for 2008. Economy downturn should see more folks stay home and watch movies, but only the older folks rent videos, the new generation goes BT download.

if there's still sales, then try to endure. If sales is diminishing, then just hang it up for the time being. Sometimes no point sustaining a down hill firm.

I tried and failed 3 ventures. I know how it feels like. :cry:

It's hard time for everyone now.... especially if your are family sole bread winner.

really have to think out of the box and be optimistic about the outlook.

All thos "doom & gloom" overcast isn't really helping in employment...

Status
Not open for further replies.