Mac Vs Pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh ... I don't see why Windows run faster on Mac. All Macs are using Intel CPU now so there's no diff in the hardware as with any Win laptops out there.

actually i read about this also though i think that was like last year. it may or may not be valid now. one thing though....windows PCs still use the old BIOS while intel macs use the new EFI. not sure if that would contribute to any performance increase.

yes, i meant 10.5 -> 10.6 even though they didn't change much in something that's already very stable

not much in terms of visible improvements. more of performance improvements. also you now get a 64-bit OS which i think microsoft would also charge for if you wanted to upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit of the same version of OS. actually not sure if microsoft would consder that an upgrade. more like buying a full price 64-bit version of windows. so i think it is quite reasonable for apple to charge ard $40 for snow leopard.

then why did you pay?

i diy so i don't pay anything

i didn't pay but i pity those who did.

I run OS X on normal pc hardware anyway.

I guess mac hardware vs pc hardware is almost the same in terms of performance but the price differs a lot.

Most pc run on windows, but if u're experienced user, u can try linux (ubuntu or fedora). The only limiting factor of linux is the lack of applications developed for the platform.

Otherwise, for user experience and usability and stability, Mac OS is good but comes at a price...

Personally I don't find it worth to spend thousands of dollars acquiring and maintaining the system (1 year warranty is too short for such expensive hardware... even top end pc hardware offers 3 year)

didn't realised non-mac systems with better specs are way cheaper... i've always felt that the price difference were unsubstantial...

my 2 cents... what i like abt OS X was stuffs like Spaces, Exposé and especially love Stack when it came out with Leopard, and the refined Stack with SL is just gravy... and i do appreciate back-up app like Time Machine comes as standard...

but what sold me on OS X was that when an app hanged or crashed, it didn't bring down the whole system with it unlike the experience i have with Windows... i can still work with the other apps that are still opened...

my experience with Windows is so far limited up to XP, don't know how much things have change with Vista or 7 but plans to give 7 a try on Boot Camp...

Last edited:
I use both Mac and PC everyday..

My advise to TS is buy Mac if you have the $$..

PC is more for budget buys.. Mac is good and very stable, although my PC seldom crash on me, but still i'll recommend Mac.

Where can I get great Macbook Pro 13 deals? Can PM me if any of you know?

Eh ... I don't see why Windows run faster on Mac. All Macs are using Intel CPU now so there's no diff in the hardware as with any Win laptops out there.

I run Windows in Parallels. Use it as an alternative to run Win software without using Bootcamp to reboot. However, don't expect great performance as it is a virtual machine after all. Parallels isn't very good, often crashes. I haven't tried VMWare but I had good experience with VMWare on Windows.

I think Mac being an UNIX OS, has better memory management. I recently upgraded my Win PC Core2Duo 2.13 Ghz to 2.93 Ghz. Adobe Lightroom 2.5 only showed some improvement in the responsiveness. However, my Macbook Pro on Core2Duo 2.4 Ghz is just as fast as the Win PC. Same amount of 4GB DDR2-667 RAM in both machines.

Thanks for the info dude. are both windows through parallels and runnin windows through bootcamp virtual machines? cos i though bootcamp divides the partition so u can dedicate your required memory to them?

Boot camp is not virtualizing. Since macs are now using intel chips, they can run natively just with apple providing some drivers and bios simulation.

Parallels and VMware fusion is virtualising though.

People will always be passionate about their preferences. This Mac vs. PC thing is like Canon vs. Nikon, Cat vs. Dog, Long Hair vs. Short Hair etc. etc.

Just buy the one that you like, as both can produce incredible images - it is actually your digital darkroom skill that matters most :D.

i've used both mac and pc. i've used pc for years, and when i switched to mac, i haven't looked back since.

i like mac because of how things are organised in it, and how convenient it is to use. especially when running photoshop and other programmes. expose is awesome. another thing is, it's so easy to install applications, and everything is organised neatly into different sections. for most applications, all you need to do is drag the icon from applications folder into the trashbin, then it's gone.

or maybe mac is for really lazy people like me hahaha

but yes, ultimately, it's what you prefer to use. like different camera systems... go and try both out. i suggest you use a friend's mac instead of the store ones, since you can see how your friend uses his mac, with all his documents, applications, music, etc etc you know what i mean

Last edited:
OT a bit.. haha you shouldve have tried using a mac 10 years ago... back then i said been using a mac, tried pc haven't looked back since... :D but youre right mac is really more user friendly than windows now.

The only regret you will have after switching to Mac is.........'WHY DIDN'T I SWITCH EARLIER? :D"

The only regret you will have after switching to Mac is.........'WHY DIDN'T I SWITCH EARLIER? :D"

or..

'WHY DID I SWITCH????'

same works either way. :bsmilie:

not everyone is a mac fanboy/girl. you might as well insert camera brand here:

The only regret you will have after switching to CANON/NIKON/PENTAX/SONY/HELLOKITTY is.........'WHY DIDN'T I SWITCH EARLIER? :D"

Where can I get great Macbook Pro 13 deals? Can PM me if any of you know?

Pmed you already Obfuscate.

Hey all,

Thanks for all your feedback and sharing your personal experience with Mac computers. I read every single reply carefully and would keep it in mind while shopping for a new laptop. For now based on the reviews and feedbacks, i'll be going for the Macbook Pro. I've also found a shop that provides the Macbook Pro 13" for a good student price. I'll also try to use my sisters macbook for a few days to help in my evaluation.

Thank you once again!

i didn't pay but i pity those who did.

I run OS X on normal pc hardware anyway.

I guess mac hardware vs pc hardware is almost the same in terms of performance but the price differs a lot.

Most pc run on windows, but if u're experienced user, u can try linux (ubuntu or fedora). The only limiting factor of linux is the lack of applications developed for the platform.

Otherwise, for user experience and usability and stability, Mac OS is good but comes at a price...

Personally I don't find it worth to spend thousands of dollars acquiring and maintaining the system (1 year warranty is too short for such expensive hardware... even top end pc hardware offers 3 year)

Actually Mac is cheaper. Take a look at the iMac 27". It is using a IPS panel monitor with a CPU box, keyboard and mouse. IPS is one of the best available and the price is incredibly low in iMac yet you get the best. Are you able to get an IPS monitor 27" with a DIY CPU box with same specifications at this iMac's price?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.