Mac Vs Pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I (have to) use windows for work but all else I use Mac.

I have just installed W7 in my MBP15 Bootcamp partition and see if it is any good. Conclusion: PUI !

It is definitely better the vista, but underneath, it is still that ugly windows. First thing, you worry about virus. Get a comodo to protect it and that drives me nut....windows must be designed by a team of very naggy old people me think.

Anyway, get a Mac and be done with it.

I (have to) use windows for work but all else I use Mac.

I have just installed W7 in my MBP15 Bootcamp partition and see if it is any good. Conclusion: PUI !

It is definitely better the vista, but underneath, it is still that ugly windows. First thing, you worry about virus. Get a comodo to protect it and that drives me nut....windows must be designed by a team of very naggy old people me think.

Anyway, get a Mac and be done with it.

rofl:bsmilie:

What I hate about macs is that they are designed only for mac peripherals! :angry:
Need a converter to connect to other hardware!

What I hate about macs is that they are designed only for mac peripherals! :angry:

they will one day monopolize the world with their gadgets, yet people think it's cool. :bsmilie:

Actually Mac is cheaper. Take a look at the iMac 27". It is using a IPS panel monitor with a CPU box, keyboard and mouse. IPS is one of the best available and the price is incredibly low in iMac yet you get the best. Are you able to get an IPS monitor 27" with a DIY CPU box with same specifications at this iMac's price?

don't try to start an apple vs orange war... it branches down to individual preference and needs. Not everyone need an IPS screen and same goes for top-notch hardware.

I'm only wondering how to market a mac with intel 3.06ghz+4gb ram+geforce 9400m+21.5" for $1788. 22" IPS screen only selling at $359 from dell and hardware of the same spec doesn't cost $1400.

And I'm also targeting at their after-sales service and how can macbook pro apple care additional 2 years warranty cost $548 ($274/year & $22.8/month) when it costs $2988 to own one?

And yes, I own a macbook pro which made me never look back (and ate grass from next few months). But after it spoils 3 times in a year (battery, HDD, Mobo) and extended warranty cost yet another $ that costs a typical PC... I'm starting to look back now

i think as with all electronics, there's always luck and how you use your device factors involved.

well for me, 5 years of mac for me, 1 iBook and 1 Macbook, no problems ever.

simultaneously, 5 years, and 4 PC changes, eventually got tired of DIY troubleshooting and got a HP desktop that came with warranty.

prefer macs for watching movies, doing editing, maybe cos i'm used to it.

the only windows com i have is my old netbook, the eee pc.

other then that, using iMacs and MBP, no complaints so far, only the pricing's a little steep when you upgrade the components

yes, i meant 10.5 -> 10.6 even though they didn't change much in something that's already very stable

OS X 10.6 is to pave way for future Mac apps to use GCD and OpenCL. Much of the change in 10.6 is under the hood. No mentioning 10.6 is 90+% 64-bit, is another step closer to a true 64 bit OS.

Depends on what peripherals are you talking about. Can connect directly with ext HDD, mouse or tablet right? Did you mean connecting your Macbook to an external monitor?

actually i read about this also though i think that was like last year. it may or may not be valid now. one thing though....windows PCs still use the old BIOS while intel macs use the new EFI. not sure if that would contribute to any performance increase.

Yes, it is still true. All PCs still uses BIOS and Mac has been using EFI since 2006.

Personally I don't find it worth to spend thousands of dollars acquiring and maintaining the system (1 year warranty is too short for such expensive hardware... even top end pc hardware offers 3 year)

I agree with you on this. At the kind of price customers are paying, I think Mac should comes with 3 years warranty off-the-shelf.

Last edited:
The earlier Macs that were made in US were good and lasting, until the production shifted to China. Now, for the newer MIC machines, I have been hearing more people sending their Mac back for servicing and what not and in some cases their Mac broke down just after one year. I also personally find that there is a drop in the quality of the newer made in China iPods, the finishing and fittings were not as good as those US made one.

don't try to start an apple vs orange war... it branches down to individual preference and needs. Not everyone need an IPS screen and same goes for top-notch hardware.

I'm only wondering how to market a mac with intel 3.06ghz+4gb ram+geforce 9400m+21.5" for $1788. 22" IPS screen only selling at $359 from dell and hardware of the same spec doesn't cost $1400.

And I'm also targeting at their after-sales service and how can macbook pro apple care additional 2 years warranty cost $548 ($274/year & $22.8/month) when it costs $2988 to own one?

And yes, I own a macbook pro which made me never look back (and ate grass from next few months). But after it spoils 3 times in a year (battery, HDD, Mobo) and extended warranty cost yet another $ that costs a typical PC... I'm starting to look back now

Thanks for the info dude. are both windows through parallels and runnin windows through bootcamp virtual machines? cos i though bootcamp divides the partition so u can dedicate your required memory to them?

Boot camp is not virtualizing. Since macs are now using intel chips, they can run natively just with apple providing some drivers and bios simulation.

Parallels and VMware fusion is virtualising though.

Right. To use bootcamp with Windows, you have to reboot.

Using VMWare or Parallels, I can run Windows inside my Mac OS, with lower performance of course. E.g. I allocate 4 GB of disk space and 1 GB of RAM from my system to the Windows VM. That leaves 3 GB of RAM for the Mac OS.

I have to run Windows because I prefer a terminal emulation program only available on Windows.

The earlier Macs that were made in US were good and lasting, until the production shifted to China. Now, for the newer MIC machines, I have been hearing more people sending their Mac back for servicing and what not and in some cases their Mac broke down just after one year. I also personally find that there is a drop in the quality of the newer made in China iPods, the finishing and fittings were not as good as those US made one.

Now that u mention about country of production... I just checked my macbook pro... "Made in China". Same goes for the battery... ;(

If there's a drop in quality of the product, they could have extended the warranty period so that users like me would find more value in the $ i spend on their product.

Luckily now my macbook pro is still working (but warranty expired)... if it had spoilt anytime soon... it would become a $3k waste metal... send it for repair = more $$$ for parts/service

Now that u mention about country of production... I just checked my macbook pro... "Made in China". Same goes for the battery... ;(

If there's a drop in quality of the product, they could have extended the warranty period so that users like me would find more value in the $ i spend on their product.

Luckily now my macbook pro is still working (but warranty expired)... if it had spoilt anytime soon... it would become a $3k waste metal... send it for repair = more $$$ for parts/service

Well, Dell, Lenovo, HP and in fact almost all PCs are made in China nowadays, you don't except all this makers to offer extended warranty because they shifted their production to China, do you? As what the other poster said, when it comes to electronic items, it is a gamble.

Well, Dell, Lenovo, HP and in fact almost all PCs are made in China nowadays, you don't except all this makers to offer extended warranty because they shifted their production to China, do you? As what the other poster said, when it comes to electronic items, it is a gamble.

eh, some do offer extended warranty...

and also that's why they can afford to sell cheaper than apple. If apple shifts the production to china, they must know their production cost is reduced (and probably quality) and all the more they ought to offer the warranty for such a highly priced computer product. Otherwise, they could have set the price to be competitive among other brands. Why pay more? :nono:

Not true, I connect my Mac Pro to Samsung monitor, Canon printer, Iomega external drive, no-brand multi-memory card reader, DLink modem/router and dunno-what-brand external HDD drive, no-brand USB hub.

Status
Not open for further replies.