Mac or PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Macs are just like PCs. They are not spared from their quirkiness too. Nothing really magical or special about it. Between the two, just close your eyes and pick any one. You'll do fine with anything.

buy a mac. install Windows with bootcamp. format the Mac partition :thumbsup:

Macs are just like PCs. They are not spared from their quirkiness too. Nothing really magical or special about it. Between the two, just close your eyes and pick any one. You'll do fine with anything.

dude, do you know what are you talking about? How can you close your eyes and just pick when the answer is so clear. and macs are NOT like PCs FYI. macs can do stuff that windows cant do :dunno:;p

hahaha.... war btw mac and pc.... anyway... i asked around and i heard NUS and... ngee ann is it? they selling mac book at a discounted rate.... is it a true discount or is it a tuned down version specs wise? and and and.... i heard the topest range of the mac book normal is similar to the lowest range of the mac book pro just tat the pro is 15 inch.... is there any particular reason why a mac book pro would be better than a mac book? or just for the word pro....... =D and the bigger screen of course.....

Macbook Pro sports a nvidia 9600+9400 GPU card, MacBook sports a 9400 GFX. More can be seen at apple.com.sg :) Another thing is MBP is 15" (new ones) and MB is 13" screen.

Go Mac, it's not that difficult to use. I'm using both Windows and Mac at home and work but due to the nature of my job, I can't go full Mac. If you're from a Windows background, get ready a list of apps you use and start finding alternatives before plunging in though.

dude, do you know what are you talking about? How can you close your eyes and just pick when the answer is so clear. and macs are NOT like PCs FYI. macs can do stuff that windows cant do :dunno:;p

Really? Like what?

buy a mac. install Windows with bootcamp. format the Mac partition :thumbsup:

MacBooks are good because of the O/S, not only the hardware. Go with the cheaper solution, get a Intel based laptops meant for Windows and you'll get more bang for the bucks instead. MacBooks are too insanely priced for people to appreciate.

Coming from an IT background, you can safely assume as long as you are willing to work on any platform with an open-mind, you will find ways to make things work on that platform. I started with computers from the DOS era and using Windows from years until Windows XP. It's in the uni times where I push my 3 years using a pure Linux system and still work well with it. It's not until the last year where I purchase a ibook installed with Mac OS 10.2 then. Things are different in Mac from Windows, but you can almost find equivalent software options in Mac from Windows. Given years since Mac OS 10.0, the market has adopted Apple with honour of it's unix trait.

Feel free to give it a try. Nothing to be wary of. Mac has all the while been branded as a creative minded system since MAC OS 9 days and it has not changed on this aspect. With MAC OS X as the platform, you get the robustness of a unix kernel and the eye candy of an Apple system.

Of course, it's not a cheap solution given the branding. But I personally assure you that you have nothing to worry about given I'm a MAC user for at least 5 years. I study with it, work with it, program with it, design with it, sleep with it (kidding...) :bsmilie:

Have fun exploring it :thumbsup:

MacBooks are good because of the O/S, not only the hardware. Go with the cheaper solution, get a Intel based laptops meant for Windows and you'll get more bang for the bucks instead. MacBooks are too insanely priced for people to appreciate.

Seriously... the hardware that comes with a Mac are not any better compared to Dell, IBM, Acer or other platforms running Windows. It's still the same piece of component. previously the processor is PowerPC, but now Apple has adopted Intel chipset, I don't see any difference.

The good thing about Apple is Apple control the system and design the operating system for the hardware they put together. Where else, hardware manufacturers only partner with Microsoft development package to deliver Microsoft compatible hardware with no QA from Microsoft. With the large assorted system you find in the market, you tend to find incompatibilities at times. It's rare now compared to years ago, but it still exists.

As a user who is just trying to get things done, which platform that offers safe of mind is the best system. If you need a transportation, you don't care if the transportation engine is V8 or whatsoever, you only care if it moves smoothly and speedy. Same theory applies for a choice between Windows and Mac platforms.

Mac advantage is Apple already piece up the OS and hardware and deliver a complete system to you, while Windows comes with separate vendors for the OS and hardware.

It depends....I am stuck with Windows because my company VPN won't work on anything else :lovegrin:

Stability wise my IBM X31 is rocking steady and the speed is sufficient to my need.....I have never kena computer virus in my entire computing life because I do not surf prono and download illegal songs :sweatsm:

VPN.......... Arghhhhhhhh

And I wonder... really like what? What have Steve Jobs got you smoking lately? Both platforms can do the same thing la. Nothing really great about both machines. They are simply machines to do do work. I have both systems. Honestly, Mac sucks you dry with their exorbitantly expensive generic hardware while Windows is just shitty but the availability of cheap hardware parts make up for it. LOL!

You don't need to have an IT background to appreciate the machines. Pick anyone and stop bickering already. Its just a bloody computer. My advice for anyone looking for a computer: If you are lame user, meaning don't know how to read manual or install simple RAM, go buy a Mac. Everything is installed for you and delivered right to your doorstep. If you got itchy backside and like to tinker with stuff, the PC will suit you just fine. Either way, you are still screwed when your machine decide to die on you. Good luck.

Last edited:
Mac OS is good and stable... BUT the cost is higher... Prepare to pay $$$ if any hardware component die on you :D
As for Windows... well i need not say more... but it is a cheaper option:)
I wonder if there are other good photoediting applications running on Linux... besides GIMP... hmmm

do you guys know that the first version of Microsoft Word is only in Mac OS Platform only when MS window 3.1 is available they only start to have it on the Windows platform MS word Ver 1 for Windows, that was 5 to 6 years later after the Mac version

Not trying to sound like a advocate or a fanboy but if you are using it for both personal and work, go for a Mac.

You have the luxury of installing Windows on a Mac to fall back should you need more time to adapt to Mac OS X. But i highly doubt you will reject Mac OS X or take too long a time to adapt to this elegantly built OS. Most of my friends who convert over took like 3-5 days to get a hang of it and they ain tech-savvy to begin with. It's easy, really...

As for finding replacement programs to perform the functionality of those programs you have been using on your PC, i would say you should not have any problems. Google around and you will be delighted with the vast choice of little applications on the Macintosh platform.

Lastly, as for the "higher-cost of ownership", i just highlight my own personal experience and view. Why people say high and not "jump over" to Mac? Main reason is that many on PC still rely on *ahem* applications which is made available easily while for Mac, harder or almost impossible to even spot a sale on it. That is what i see as the main hurdle to cross which is mental. You will be more selectively on which applications to install on your Mac should you decide to convert.

All in all, enjoy your transition should you set your mind on it. Rediscover the whole new meaning of personal computing with a Macintosh. ;) Suddenly, things become so easy... :sweatsm:

Hmm. Mac VS Windows War.

I don't see much of a problem using both. I used Windows, I was fine. I used Mac, I was fine too. I used Linux (Ubuntu), I had some problems, but fine too.

It's the user's preference. And I disagree to the "finding replacement programs".

It can be quite tough. Yes, you will find a alternative, but the question is, how good is it compared to the orginal Windows app.

I still feel the Windows Live Messenger is better than all the Mac alternatives, although Adium comes close, but I ran into some problems.

The Microsoft Messenger for Mac was not on par with the Windows version either. aMSN is :nono:

Another app would be Picasa which I love so much. You might say, "I have iPhoto for Mac!" But iPhoto uses so much space that I decided not to use it. I tries to take control of your photo files? Hmm. I prefer Picasa.

And if you have Windows and Mac on your home network, sharing printers might be a problem. You gotta take time to figure out.

Maybe in the future, this will change? :) Mac is a little overpriced too. ;p

I never had run into much problems with Windows. It only depends on how well you manage it and not screw it up. No viruses for years now, and speed is fine enough. A format helps once in a while though, which is troublesome. LOL.

Last edited:
Seriously... the hardware that comes with a Mac are not any better compared to Dell, IBM, Acer or other platforms running Windows. It's still the same piece of component. previously the processor is PowerPC, but now Apple has adopted Intel chipset, I don't see any difference.

When I talk hardware, I talk about the design too. Also, the selection of hardware and the art of putting them together are better than any random laptops out there due to the integration of the O/S and the hardware. All in one, the hardware and O/S do play their parts in making MacBook a better choice.

Mac OS is good and stable... BUT the cost is higher... Prepare to pay $$$ if any hardware component die on you :D
As for Windows... well i need not say more... but it is a cheaper option:)
I wonder if there are other good photoediting applications running on Linux... besides GIMP... hmmm

Get AppleCare if you are worried about hardware dying, they replace the malfunctioning hardware for free I think, or so I heard. Windows is cheap yes, but like what many people say, you get what you pay for. ;-)

Mac, the O/s is a breeze to use.
The iMac is tempting me to get another Apple~

I believe he knew what he was talking about. But can you please enlighten me what stuff are you referring do?

Status
Not open for further replies.