Lunar Eclipse June 16,2011

Due to the geographical location of Singapore, that incident may not be observable.

may not favors sg?

Hmm... according to http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar-eclipse-december-10-2011.html, the Dec 10 event will be best view in Central Asia and Eastern Asia... (I don't score well in my Geography)... is Singapore part of the two bloc? Or are we more to the Southern Asia?

[edit]

YES! the 10 Dec 2011 Lunar eclipse would be visible in Singapore!

Saros 135 is the last eclipse of the year and occurs at the Moon's descending node in eastern Taurus, four days after apogee. (apogee - the Moons furthest point from Earth). The event is a Total eclipse at magnitude 1.1061. The full duration of the eclipse is visible from most of Russia, eastern Kazakhstan, central and eastern Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, China, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, The Phillippines, Hong Kong, Taiwan, North Korea, South Korea, Japan, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, and Australia.

Quote from http://eclipsegeeks.com/TotalLunarEclipse10December2011.aspx

Last edited:
.............the Dec 10 event will be best view in Central Asia and Eastern Asia... (I don't score well in my Geography)... is Singapore part of the two bloc? Or are we more to the Southern Asia?

Central Asia is more like Central China, and Eastern Asia is more like Japan, Korea, etc..:cry:

December weather maynot be favourable as it is the raining season.Also Sg is classified as Southern Asia. Hope for the best in December.
I got ready packed woke up saw my son came ready to go buyt weather says no no so go back to sleep zzzzzzz
Wat a night

December weather maynot be favourable as it is the raining season.Also Sg is classified as Southern Asia. Hope for the best in December.
I got ready packed woke up saw my son came ready to go buyt weather says no no so go back to sleep zzzzzzz
Wat a night

Actually, "South Asia" usually refers to india, sri lanka, bangladesh, etc. Singapore is South-east asia. :)

But then hor, even though can be seen in sg but where's the best location here to see?!? Depending on the timing & area cos some places might b block if it is descending moon. Other than Punggol, i can't think of any place liao. :( Dun wan Science Ctr leh......

Singapore may be a small country but by City it is pretty big. Light pollution is severe.
There are a few areas which may be totally dark: St. John's Island, Pulao Ubin (back of the island).

I have tried Pulao Sibu/ Pulao Besar but even for resort islands, the lights from nearby city (Mersin) was visible.
Not to mention the clouds and unpredictable weather conditions. :confused:

Science Center always will hold interesting events :

Astro-1.jpg

Seagull WWSC F5.6 1/60 mini flash

I tried to expose the moon in sequences, steps of 15 minutes apart.
Unfortunately, the photo shop smudged and killed that portion of my film. Just my luck. :dunno:

Singapore may be a small country but by City it is pretty big. Light pollution is severe.
There are a few areas which may be totally dark: St. John's Island, Pulao Ubin (back of the island).

It's true light pollution is quite bad in sg, but there are tricks you can use to capture some nice pictures of the sky without need to go to remote islands.
This are the kind of shots you can still get. Taken at Jurong West about 2 years ago. The sky there is terrible because of the factories nearby.

OrionBelt.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work. Is that with motorized auto tacking? :)

What is the method you used?