Lucky I make the switch n bought Pentax

I was searching for K-5 but many shops were sold out. Thanks to GSiGuy for pointing me to OP. Gave them a call at 11am+ yesterday to confirm stock, reached there yesterday at 12 noon but the set was already sold off! Eddy (one of the shopkeepers) said recently there has been a surge of K-5 sales, don't know why ;)

Was feeling a bit disappointed but I left my contact with Eddy. Then in a turn of events, somehow it turned out that new stock just came in the afternoon, and so I managed to buy my K-5 in the evening. Just in time to shoot the lunar eclipse!
382593_10150508178856011_564816010_10894423_1995475904_n.jpg

I have tried GGS and Acmaxx (ordered from eBay) but didn't really like either. Especially the Acmaxx due to the price and the rainbow effect (google it and you will know what i mean). I am currently using the Hercules brand for K5/K7 that I got it from Sgcamerastore, I must say that this is way easier to install compared to Acmaxx and no halo rainbow effect till date. Cheers

Thanks for the tip!

I was searching for K-5 but many shops were sold out. Thanks to GSiGuy for pointing me to OP. Gave them a call at 11am+ yesterday to confirm stock, reached there yesterday at 12 noon but the set was already sold off! Eddy (one of the shopkeepers) said recently there has been a surge of K-5 sales, don't know why ;)

Was feeling a bit disappointed but I left my contact with Eddy. Then in a turn of events, somehow it turned out that new stock just came in the afternoon, and so I managed to buy my K-5 in the evening. Just in time to shoot the lunar eclipse!

Not a surge.. but sensor supply got cut off for a while (Sensor supplied by Sony, and the CMOS factory was the flooded one in Thailand).

Lucky you! :)
Congrats on your new camera.

Thats a cool moon shot btw ;)

Congrats on the new camera :) I'm sure you'd love it.

Nice shot. I took some handheld using my 18-135 but as expected, they were not up to mark as there was too much movement. Was a little too lazy to use a tripod..haha but nice one. :)

Just bought a K-5 barely an hour ago from OP with the original battery grip. Stocks are low for black K-5 now. In fact they had to separate the one i bought from its 18-135 lens... went to SLR and Bally and they said no stock for black.

Now i can feel more confident about the camera when in dusty conditions!

Btw OP did not have a GGS protector. Does anyone know where there should be stock of it or a similar protector?

Hey bro , just saw this thread . Ha . Congratz on yr purchase :)

Just bought a K-5 barely an hour ago from OP with the original battery grip. Stocks are low for black K-5 now. In fact they had to separate the one i bought from its 18-135 lens... went to SLR and Bally and they said no stock for black.

Now i can feel more confident about the camera when in dusty conditions!

Btw OP did not have a GGS protector. Does anyone know where there should be stock of it or a similar protector?

Can try SG Camera

danggg ..... K5 low stock when my bonus coming next week ... argh ....

nice shot btw redtea ...

Thanks all, the moon shot was done with my humble DAL 55-300mm kit lens from my previous k-x bundle. Plenty of sharpening and cropping to bring out the details :)

cubicon: Maybe can check with Orient Photo, they might have more stock.

Thanks all, the moon shot was done with my humble DAL 55-300mm kit lens from my previous k-x bundle. Plenty of sharpening and cropping to bring out the details :)

cubicon: Maybe can check with Orient Photo, they might have more stock.

hi, what setting did you use? mind sharing it? thanks.

is it a general oos or just the black one ?

Only black. SLR Rev still had a few sets of silver left last week, I think.

hi, what setting did you use? mind sharing it? thanks.

Sure, it was 300mm @ f/5.8, 1.6s, ISO 800. Did you shoot it too? :)

My Pentax k-x was badly damaged when it accidentally fell while I was overseas. Emjay sent it to Japan HQ but HQ deemed that it could not be repaired because there were too many broken parts (popup flash, mirror box, casing etc). At that point in time honestly I was seriously considering to jump ship to Canon 5DMK2 or Nikon D700. But in the end, to the disbelief of some of my colleagues who are Canon & Nikon users, I bought yet another Pentax. Why? Because i realised i could not enjoy myself if I were to carry those heavy full-frame cameras for regular shooting. And for aps-c DSLRs, there is NO other camera at this price with built in shake reduction, pro body build, small size and weight, image quality, and such a wonderfully quiet shutter... It was love at first sight, or rather click - the shutter was super QUIET, so refined :thumbsup: esp since i came from the K-x... I am enjoying myself every time i use it. :)

Last edited:
and such a wonderfully quiet shutter... It was love at first sight, or rather click - the shutter was super QUIET, so refined :thumbsup: esp since i came from the K-x... I am enjoying myself every time i use it. :)

seriously, never handled a K-5 until i tried the one i bought and was surprised how quiet and "refined" the shutter sounded...

seriously, never handled a K-5 until i tried the one i bought and was surprised how quiet and "refined" the shutter sounded...

One colleague use 550D, then another 1 bought D7000. 550D owner like how quiet D7000 shutter is, D7000 owner is very happy about his camera, quiet shutter, good built. They were discussing about N always have quiet shutter.

But both were dumbfounded when they heard my K5 shutter. :bsmilie:

One colleague use 550D, then another 1 bought D7000. 550D owner like how quiet D7000 shutter is, D7000 owner is very happy about his camera, quiet shutter, good built. They were discussing about N always have quiet shutter.

But both were dumbfounded when they heard my K5 shutter. :bsmilie:

probably in denial :bsmilie:

"no... it can't be!!! but... but... but... how come its not C or N??? argh! the sky is falling and the grounds are shattering beneath my feet as the feeble foundations of my shallow assumptions are torn asunder!!! NNnnnooooo....... "

just to add... jokes aside, 550D is not in the same range as the D7000 so its a silly comparison. better off comparing the 7D. thats a pretty good camera.

Last edited:
probably in denial :bsmilie:

"no... it can't be!!! but... but... but... how come its not C or N??? argh! the sky is falling and the grounds are shattering beneath my feet as the feeble foundations of my shallow assumptions are torn asunder!!! NNnnnooooo....... "

just to add... jokes aside, 550D is not in the same range as the D7000 so its a silly comparison. better off comparing the 7D. thats a pretty good camera.

They only know 2 brands. Don't know what is APS-C, FF, 4/3. No idea why some DSLR $800, some $5000 and why I can spend over $1k to buy a pentax prime and Tamron zoom. To them, as long as its C or N, it's good. All other brands of cam and lens are below par. Give me the :what: look when I recommend Pentax, :eek: when I really buy.

Anyway, it's very common and I don't bother.

Sure, it was 300mm @ f/5.8, 1.6s, ISO 800. Did you shoot it too? :)

yup, but my image is blurry even though on tripod and using remote.
using 8s, f14, iso 1600. not sure why....zzz

yup, but my image is blurry even though on tripod and using remote.
using 8s, f14, iso 1600. not sure why....zzz

8 seconds is too long. The moon moves (orbit) too. F14 is also too small an aperture, will induce diffraction that soften up and make the image lookers blurer. higher ISO also reduces details further making a shot looks blur. Did you also turn off the image stablisation?