Loving Sigma 50mm f1.4 HSM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raghnall, very nice PIC. Wonderful smooth bokeh. Sigma is truly a gem. I like its bokeh wide open much more than that of Nikon. It really look smooth and pleasant to the eye.

Raghnall, very nice PIC. Wonderful smooth bokeh. Sigma is truly a gem. I like its bokeh wide open much more than that of Nikon. It really look smooth and pleasant to the eye.

Thanks Oshkosh.. I was pleasantly surprised!! After seeing so many pictures of the Sigma, now I finally have my own!!! :) I do agree that its bokeh is more pleasant than the Nikon one. I'm totally in love with this lens.. :)

Hi, can you put up some of your 30mm f1.4 shots? Am really curious to see. You know Nikon is coming up with its 35mm f1.8 lens at a much cheaper price compared to Sigma.

30mm is quite heavy as well right?

Here's my post of a lamp shot taken indoor with Sigma 30mm. F2, ISO400, 1/200

I also love this lens and it's on my cam most of the time, esp indoors. However, I do worry about the "peeling" problem of the EX coating in long run though...

DSC08696a.jpg

Last edited:
Sigma should come out with a 15mm f1.4 HSM...

Yes, i will be first to order it man...but it should be quite bulky i guess.

Actually we should give kudos to Sigma for coming out with such optically advanced products...

Their 20/24/28 F1.8 are also quite good and affordable compared to original manufacturer brands ones....

I think the only thing they should do is to take away the EX coating and revert back to their old matt surface which can last longer IMO....

Pic 22

Titled: Shooting tree Nymph

3334172069_c6aca7d3f4.jpg

#22.. Is unreal!! :bigeyes: Fantastic shot!! :thumbsup:

Hi

Just wondering can these lens be use on a FF body ?

nice composition on #22, :thumbsup: nice capture:)

#22.. Is unreal!! :bigeyes: Fantastic shot!! :thumbsup:

nice composition on #22, :thumbsup: nice capture:)

Thanks Raghnall and Andrew. Yup, I thought I was very lucky to get that particular shot. In fact I learnt something about Tree Nymph from another photographer - that what's interesting about tree nymph is that you could go as close as you want and it's not afraid cos it has no natural predators in the wild. Perhaps that's why I could get so close to it without using Marco lens.

Pic 23

No bokeh nor DOF but a picture using Sigma 50mm nonetheless

Titled - Saying Grace

3335011260_9a3ef1aec1.jpg

Still loving this great portrait lens.

TheChef, I think it would have look better if it's taken landscape and only on face/shoulder, aperture at f1.4 (since its night) to get some bokeh at background. Just my view.

Hi guys, I can't find a used one in the market & might just dip for a new piece but a little concerned with the focus problem it's receiving. Should I check out every piece @ the shop before I buy, will the problem surface later?

I would not know if a recalibrated lens will go heywire again, but good news is today i went to IT show at Suntec. I asked the Sigma counter sales person several questions...

One of them is on recalibration. She said recalibration is free no matter the age of the lens or where the lens is purchase from. You must call them to make an appt, they won't do it for you if you just go down without appt. It takes roughly 2 hrs, same day collect back. :thumbsup:

*In my mind i was thinking is it many Sigma lens have focusing issues & all have to be recalibrated & everyday they are doing this for ppl, that's why must book appt time... :sweatsm:*

Hi, I just bought the 50mm two days ago, do check out my model shots on Saturday using this lens at my flickr.com/gerries_photography
It gives excellent bokeh like the following:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gerries_photography/3296956917/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gerries_photography/3297702644/

I noticed that shooting at full 1.4 will have some blurring at the eyes for 3/4 headshots, 1.8 - 2 gives sharpest in the eyes, and have some nice bokeh.

Hi, are u guys using fullframe on the siggy? or crop cameras?
50mm on a crop seems a little too tight though, any comments on how a 20mm 1.8mm compares with the 50mm 1.4? tia.

Hi, are u guys using fullframe on the siggy? or crop cameras?
50mm on a crop seems a little too tight though, any comments on how a 20mm 1.8mm compares with the 50mm 1.4? tia.

I'm using a FF with the 50mm. Why not consider the 30mm F1.4? There's a thread on it, do check it out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.