Lost between choices...Nikon and Canon

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have stated the conditions that you would be shooting in and it all boils down to the question on how well is the sealing of both lens and camera.

Some would say that the best sealed brand for DSLRs are Olympus.

But if you are comparing the two, Nikon and Canon.... I would have to say for now Canon would ensure the sealing that you require. However, only the 1 series bodies (1D Mark II and 1Ds Mark II) would be in this range. 20D might not be up to task because the body might not be as heavily sealed as the 1D Mark II. I would say that as long as you don't change lenses while you are out in the desert, your CMOS sensor should be ok.

For all the Nikon people, I really don't know how well the pro series lenses are sealed. If any of you know, please do let me know about that.

Thanks.

5-6k can get u a few manual SLR with a lens attached permanently..and a few cartons of film+ developing

Kex, Thanks for your suggestions but I have a hard time deciding to go on DSLR and would not like to look back at the films option.
I register all advices on better lens which I agree whole heartedly. Time for some shopping then.

Mike

mikenth said:
Thank you for all the replies. I will take your advice and go test out the camera systems when I go back home in May for a break. I notice that the Nikon lens cost more than the Canon counterparts for their range of lens with max 2.8f lens. Any comments on that? Is there any good shops in Singapore that is strong with the Nikon/Canon brand to draw my final conclusion as to which camp to join?
Nope, the prices are more or less comparable. You compare say 70-200 IS USM f/2.8 vs 70-200 AF-S VR or other lenses, the prices are more or less the same.

mikenth said:
I read that wide lens are prone to distortions and have seen some distorted samples taken with the Canon 10-22 lens. Are distortions a norm for wide lens?
Prone? Yes. Bad? It depends.

mikenth said:
Canon seems to have the widest lens in their stock list but the make of the lens does not seem to be a quality build. Correct me if I am wrong.
Wrong again. The Canon 10-22 has about the same effective angle of light due to the fact that it is catering to only the 1.6x crop bodies. Look at the angle of view rather than the focal length. The widest is actually Sigma with its full frame of 12-24, that covers > 122 degrees. The Nikon 12-24 covers about 1-2 degrees less than the 10-22 but has better performance with f/4 constant and other stuff... Some said that it is soft and has distortion, but from my thread here it does not seem so.

mikenth said:
Thank you for all the replies. I will take your advice and go test out the camera systems when I go back home in May for a break. I notice that the Nikon lens cost more than the Canon counterparts for their range of lens with max 2.8f lens. Any comments on that? Is there any good shops in Singapore that is strong with the Nikon/Canon brand to draw my final conclusion as to which camp to join?

I am currently in an exotic country in Middle East and thus hope to take some of the good scenic spots for rememberance. This place has one of the best mountain ranges with lots of desert and thus is sandy most of the time. Hence sand dust is a problem for me but camera system which are environment sealed are way over my budget. I was thinking of getting a cheap body and environment sealed lens. I understand that dust has been a major problem for DSLR. How do you guys overcome this problem?

I used to take my photographs on my Minolta X300 and currently using those Sony P&S digital camera. Unfortunately, my cameras are not wide enough to capture the the vast landscape here. I read that wide lens are prone to distortions and have seen some distorted samples taken with the Canon 10-22 lens. Are distortions a norm for wide lens?

Canon seems to have the widest lens in their stock list but the make of the lens does not seem to be a quality build. Correct me if I am wrong.

Given this input on environment factor, any expert out there had the experience of taking pictures in sandy desert conditions with their equipments survived the ordeal?

Once again, thank you for all the advices given and I am happy that we have such good support from this interest group. It reminds me of the community spirits of old times. Hope that we can meet someday in Singapore.
Nikon did make a 6mm f2.8 lens. Angle of view: 220 degrees! This lens could see behind itself! :bigeyes:

mikenth said:
Hi,

I have been reading this forum for sometime and have decided to get a DSLR camera. I have a budget between $5-6K trying to decide between the Canon EOS20D and the Nikon D70s.

The more recommendations I get to read, the more difficult the decision becomes. I am hoping to join the right camp from the start considering the large investments that I am going to put into the lens later. Specs wise, I like the Nikkor lens but prefer the Canon body. How nice it would be to be able to use Nikkor lens on the 20D. Just my wishful thinking to have the best of both world. Not to meant that Canon does not produce good lens (I know about the L Lens) but just my personal preference for Nikkor lens.

I am really lost for choice. For information, I travel alot and loves taking scenery pictures of landscapes and buildings. I prefer wide lens to cover as much ground as possible. I would also prefer fast lens to mimise the startling effect via the use of flash.

I believe that some experts in this forum has also faced this problem before. It would help me if you can relate your experience for your decision. I do not mean for this thread to end up in flames. Hope to hear some of your good personal experiences if you too were at the similiar cross road as I do now.

Mike

Mike, do this. mini mini, myni m.... go with your feelings. no point comparing the technicalities. see, you had read this forum for some time. ended up feeling more confused, right? spare yourself the agony. go with your feel. it is not a life and death decision.

mikenth said:
Kex, Thanks for your suggestions but I have a hard time deciding to go on DSLR and would not like to look back at the films option.
I register all advices on better lens which I agree whole heartedly. Time for some shopping then.

Mike

Before you really decide on Digital, I would like to remind you that there are some airlines flying to the Middle East countries that will not allow DSLR, but film cameras are ok. So do make sure you do your research before you make a purchasing decision.

theITguy said:
Before you really decide on Digital, I would like to remind you that there are some airlines flying to the Middle East countries that will not allow DSLR, but film cameras are ok. So do make sure you do your research before you make a purchasing decision.

curious. why middle east countries will not allow DSLRs?

Thanks for all the feedback.

I am now a happy owner of a Nikon D200 and started a shopping spree since April this year. The "Buy, Buy, Buy" virus is very strong here and I have acquired a 17-55mm 2.8 lens, 80-200mm 2.8 lens, vertical grip, SB-800, bags, etc and the buying list never seems to end.
:(

I was at a camera shop and the shop keeper was showing me the camera bodies of Canon 20D and D200. The decision was quite straight forward for me as I prefer the build of D200 over the canon model. (I just indicate my personal preference here.)

After that I have spent wonderful time with my camera and have taken many good pictures since then on my overseas assignments. I think I would just like to summarise this whole experience to share with other members here, is that the equipment brand name does not matters; what matters is what you do with the camera. I find it amusing on my part to create unnecessary worry over which brand to buy (and thus this thread). I ultimately found peace, joy and satisfaction in the pictures I take, and not in the equipment I owned.

Thanks to advices offered by members in this forum, it has shorten my learning curves and is certainly a important resource to fuel my passion for this hobby.

Mike

Look at the entire camera system, the flash, the glass, the body, don't just look at one part of it. The system goes a long way...

Just my nO0B 0.02c

mikenth said:
After that I have spent wonderful time with my camera and have taken many good pictures since then on my overseas assignments. I think I would just like to summarise this whole experience to share with other members here, is that the equipment brand name does not matters; what matters is what you do with the camera. I find it amusing on my part to create unnecessary worry over which brand to buy (and thus this thread). I ultimately found peace, joy and satisfaction in the pictures I take, and not in the equipment I owned.

Thanks to advices offered by members in this forum, it has shorten my learning curves and is certainly a important resource to fuel my passion for this hobby.

Mike

Finally you get the picture.

Welcome to the dark side. Do enjoy your hobby. Remember to post them here to share with us.

:flame::flame::flame::flame::flame:

ah! D200! I also want!

great that u got the cam you want!

time to shoot!

How many will listen to this phase ??.
Body comes and go and there will always be better ones every 6-12 mths but good glass last a lifetime.

_espn_ said:
Look at the entire camera system, the flash, the glass, the body, don't just look at one part of it. The system goes a long way...

Just my nO0B 0.02c

Welcome to the darkside man :thumbsup:

Did you leave some of your budget for software? I noticed a lot of people only emphasis on body, lenses and accessories but none seems interesting in post process which I find that is necessary for a good picture to be a even better picture :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.