Looking for SLR body or lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Damien
Met a few clubsnap members last month and they seem to be happy with slr than digital camera.
So i shall start this thread where experienced users can recommend cheap but good bodies or lens, and also for newbies to look for reference here to prevent kenna cheated loh..

PLease do list the model as well as the 2nd hand market price. DO add your personal comments ya...

Regards,
Damien

hmmmm.....

r u buying because u like taking pictures or because others are happy with the camera?

actually me just wanna try out slr after been with digital for half a year loh..

To Xmax, saw the 50mm ad, can know whats the diff between 35mm and 50mm huh? why ppl choose 35mm now??

ANd is EOS 500 really that old? Haha, cos i tot it must be similar to 500N as I cant find its reviews in various sites! hehe, now then i know why ppl dun put its reviews now..

damien :

have you got the body already? if you like, i have a 5xi body (not the one in the yahoo thread) and lens or EOS 1000 body (no lens) that you may to borrow to have a hang of using a 35mm. :)

Hi Damien,

EOS 500N is a good entry level camera. I'm using it now..
lots of reviews in the internet..
one of which is here: http://www.photographyreview.com/ps...wn to seeds to ask around. cheers, zapline.

Diamen..

50mm is referring to the range of the len.. the bigger the no, the further it can zoom to
35mm is referring to the film that's used in the SLR

when ppl said that u r using a 35mm SLR, he's referring to the camera body that uses the 35mm film. those normal film that u can get almost everywhere are the 35mm film. it's called 35mm film because the length of each exposure is abt 35mm

As for how ppl come up with the various no for the len, i'm not too sure too.. maybe some expert can let me know too.

OKie here are the research done so far, think have to up my initial budget, any comments??
1) EOS 66 with date $180 for body only (add $80 for 28-90 f4-5.6 len)
2) EOS 300 $290 (this i havent contact the seller, maybe sold already)
3) EOS 888 $300 neg (includes 38-76 len? + lens protector + color filter + flash + canon bag)
4) EOS 500 $200 (package with original len)

Sigh... got to first sell my under-used electric guitar in order to raise the money

i could be wrong but i would not take teh eos 888 for $300 i used it once before borrowed from a friend and compared it to the 500n (which was my first cam too) and i found that really not much difference and does not justify the extra $100.

never tried the 500 as opposed to the n version so dun really know the diff.

think u should consider the 66, priice sounds ok to me.. lens?

no rush... can lend u my 24-85 try try but i scared that once u try u dun wanna use 28mm again=) ( can sell u... i thinking of getting the 24-135 if $$ allows)
:)

Yo Dehui,
haha you saw my thread ya.. Thanks for the advice man, yapyap bring along if you coming to seeds, HANDS ON HANDS ON!! THat is very impt!

Originally posted by chyeo
true, but lens how?

what are you trying to ask?

true, minolta lenses and bodies are not as up-to-date as Canon or Nikon but for someone who intends to stick to film, minolta is a good choice. some of their lenses are true gems, and now that a lot of minolta users have dumped their gear for Canon or Nikon, there's more lenses available in the used market.

IMHO, good Minolta bodies to look out for are the Dynax 3, 5, 700si, 7 and 9.

Buying minolta stuff is a good way to get initiated into SLR photography now if one doesn't have any short term plans to go DSLR.

The bodies and lenses offer very high performance for the money and this is especially true now, with the low resale value of 2nd hand minolta equipment. This is probably better than buying any Canon 3 digit model. Think someone is selling a Dynax 5 in this forum.

OKie! Good points there by Munfai and Zerstorer!! But still the models u suggested are a bit over the budget of $300, am i right???

for the 7, 9 definitely

not sure about the used 3, 5 and 700si models.

huh? Tot someone mentuioned that somebody is selling dynax 5 but cant find the thread leh...

thanx munfai
wow dynax 5 still so ex huh, dun know body alone cost how much siah.

Originally posted by Damien
thanx munfai
wow dynax 5 still so ex huh, dun know body alone cost how much siah.

dynax 5 would be considered to be in Minolta's latest range of cameras. after all, it's been out only for like 2-3 years? so don't expect to get it for $2xx...

How about the Nikon F65. Was considering that sometime back but was the sales person at AP didn't have anything nice thing to say about the camera. Recommended me something else.

Does anyone here use the F65? Are you happy with it.

Originally posted by Stoppable
How about the Nikon F65. Was considering that sometime back but was the sales person at AP didn't have anything nice thing to say about the camera. Recommended me something else.

Does anyone here use the F65? Are you happy with it.

Just curious. What did the sales told you? What did he recommend you then?

Had used F65 for a while. Quite a decent camera at a decent price.

Well, said alot about it.
Let me try to remember...

The lens that comes with the camera (can't remember which one, I guess it was the AFS 28-100 G lens) is not a glass lens. He let me hold.. it was quite light.

He also said that the F65, its predecessor F60 together with F50 and F55 were released by Nikon as a response to competitors releasing less than S$1000 SLR bodies. Although they carry the Nikon name, they are made in Thailand or somewhere outside Japan. QC not that good. He let me search for the "Made in Japan" lable on the camera and I can't find it.

Furthermore, buying a lower end Nikon does not mean they are lower end accessories to get. Getting an external flash would cost almost as much as the camera.

Maybe he was pulling a fast one but he did quote me a damn reaonable price.. $580 or there abouts, at a time when the rrp was $699. He wanted to show me the F80. hehehe... anyway visited AP and a few other shops a few times during those few weeks when I was looking for a SLR. Their price was the best, CP was selling at about $620.

Since it is a beginner SLR, how come nobody recommended it to our newbie member? Won't be surprised if it is going for less than $500...

Really, how good is the F65? Do you have another camera to compare wit?

Originally posted by Stoppable

The lens that comes with the camera (can't remember which one, I guess it was the AFS 28-100 G lens) is not a glass lens. He let me hold.. it was quite light.

I belive the lens is 28-80/100G lens. There is not AFS i belive. The closest AFS lens will cost like the price of the body.

This light is light and the casing is plastic. I didn't take much pic wif this lens too. :)

He also said that the F65, its predecessor F60 together with F50 and F55 were released by Nikon as a response to competitors releasing less than S$1000 SLR bodies. Although they carry the Nikon name, they are made in Thailand or somewhere outside Japan. QC not that good. He let me search for the "Made in Japan" lable on the camera and I can't find it.

I am no too sure if the camera is made in which country. I think quite a few of nikon lens is made in thailand or china to save cost.
Of course it is not as tough as the F100 or F4/5.

The materials used should be the same or close to the F80. It should last quite long if not abused.

Furthermore, buying a lower end Nikon does not mean they are lower end accessories to get. Getting an external flash would cost almost as much as the camera.

True. The only goo dthing abt the F65 in term of accessaries is the remote control. Selling at $20 or so. The remote cord for F80 is also cheap as it uses a mechnical cable. Remote cable for F100 cost much more.

If you can save abt $200 by choosing F65 over F80. I dun see why not.

Maybe he was pulling a fast one but he did quote me a damn reaonable price.. $580 or there abouts, at a time when the rrp was $699. He wanted to show me the F80.

I think $580 is inclusive of the lens, $620 will get you a F80 body only.

Since it is a beginner SLR, how come nobody recommended it to our newbie member? Won't be surprised if it is going for less than $500...

Really, how good is the F65? Do you have another camera to compare wit?

I did recomend the F65 to a few newbie. Not too sure what they choose after that. Most are just asking and not really planning to buy.

I remember selling my F65 with kit lens for less than $400 here.

I am using the F80 now. If I had stick with the F65, I am pretty sure there will be no shot that I will miss if I didn't "upgrade".

"Why do I upgrade?" You might ask. Well, a bit of equipment acqusition sydrome working and I find the spot meter and the grid on demand quite useful at a "bit" more dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.