Looking for a ultra-wide angle zoom for my D750

Look out for the Tokina 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5. Older AF lens built like a tank and cheaper than f2.8 version. Really good bang for the buck and usable on FX format. I have used this as a back up lens for years. PM me if you're interested.
I think Ken Rockwell has mentioned this lens before (if you buy into what he has to say).

What do you guys think of the FX Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4 ?

That's quite a old lens, and I haven't got much to say about it. Used it once many years ago, thought the output was fine but nothing to impressive. It may not be able to handle today's digital sensors.

My recommendation would be to get the Nikon 20mm f1.8G lens (unless you really must have a zoom). Impressive performance, right from f1.8, maybe even as good as the legendary Zeiss 21mm f2.8, but much cheaper (and unfortunately more plasticky). This new design is way better than the older f2.8 version. It is very sharp corner to corner by f4.

Otherwise go for the 18-35mm G lens, at a slightly lower price. Between the two, I'd rather get the new 20mm, cos the 18-35G is not great nearer to the 35mm end. So if you are using the zoom at the wide end, might as well get the 20mm -- much faster, very sharp, superb images.

If you need wider than 18-20mm, be prepared to pay a lot more (with exception of the Samyang 14mm)...

My 2 cents.

My recommendation would be to get the Nikon 20mm f1.8G lens (unless you really must have a zoom). Impressive performance, right from f1.8, maybe even as good as the legendary Zeiss 21mm f2.8, but much cheaper (and unfortunately more plasticky). This new design is way better than the older f2.8 version. It is very sharp corner to corner by f4.

Otherwise go for the 18-35mm G lens, at a slightly lower price. Between the two, I'd rather get the new 20mm, cos the 18-35G is not great nearer to the 35mm end. So if you are using the zoom at the wide end, might as well get the 20mm -- much faster, very sharp, superb images.

If you need wider than 18-20mm, be prepared to pay a lot more (with exception of the Samyang 14mm)...

My 2 cents.

Love my Ziess 21MM ! :)

But yeah, save many cents for it. :)

Just an update, just as I was about to begin looking for the Nikon 18-35, or maybe a 2nd hand 17-35 f4, I thought of another paradigm:

I have a Nikon v1, how about a 6.7-13mm for that camera?

Then I use my 28-300 on my D750, and bring the V1 with a 6.7-13mm, and I don't have to swop lenses?

Or is it wiser to stick with buying the 18-35mm for my D750?

Thanks

Nikkor 10-24 should be a good lens for landscape

Just an update, just as I was about to begin looking for the Nikon 18-35, or maybe a 2nd hand 17-35 f4, I thought of another paradigm:

Then I use my 28-300 on my D750, and bring the V1 with a 6.7-13mm, and I don't have to swop lenses?

Thanks
The 6.7-13mm is a very capable and sharp lens (Sharper then the 10mm prime in my opinion) but you'll be quite limited by the V1 (Capable, but bit old)

The 18-35mm will be a better consideration on the whole. (Even consider selling the 28-300mm for a 50mm f1.4g even!)

Nikkor 10-24 should be a good lens for landscape

The Nikkor 10-24mm is a DX lens (APS-C), the D750 should be used with FX lens (Full frame)

It is not too great on the edges at F2.8. But it is a very cheap lens and very worth every cent of its low price. If you can find it that is... sellers on the used market tend to price it too damn high, and not many of them around in the 2nd hand market.

Thanks

The 6.7-13mm is an excellent lens. Stellar performance.

And if you are considering the Tokina 17-35/4, and plan to use it at F4, you should just save yourself the trouble and not consider it. The lens is not sharp at all at F4 at all focal lengths. There are much better value out there.

My 2 cents.

since you mentioned 18-35, how is the Nikkor 16-35 F4G ED VR compared to the 18-35 ?

Thanks

Just an update:
A buddy lent me his 20mm, so I will be using this first and see how it feels :)
The 18-35 still looks pretty tempting.

Any experts here have used both the 18-35 and 16-35 before and can give some personal opinion ?

Thank you

I chose not to pwp the 14-28mm F2.8 bcos it is too expensive (my wallet dried up liao) and heavy.

But I need an ultra wide angle lens to shot landscape timelapse. I am thinking of prime lens that is fast. Will only be bringing one lens to shoot timelapse ... Any recommendation ? 3rd part lens also can, if it's good ...

Thanks

I chose not to pwp the 14-28mm F2.8 bcos it is too expensive (my wallet dried up liao) and heavy.

But I need an ultra wide angle lens to shot landscape timelapse. I am thinking of prime lens that is fast. Will only be bringing one lens to shoot timelapse ... Any recommendation ? 3rd part lens also can, if it's good ...

Thanks

Samyang 14mm or the 12mm fisheye.

Samyang 14mm or the 12mm fisheye.

Paiseh bro undergrd, I am not a fan of fisheye.

Can I add some of my requirements for the ultra wide angle lens as below:

Purpose: for shooting landscape timelapse

Requirements:
1) less than S$1,500
2) must be a fast lens, aperture must be F2.8 or better
3) must have auto focus
4) must have thread to put filter
5) not fisheye

Thanks

Last edited:
Paiseh bro undergrd, I am not a fan of fisheye.

Can I add some of my requirements for the ultra wide angle lens as below:

Purpose: for shooting landscape timelapse

Requirements:
1) less than S$1,500
2) must be a fast lens, aperture must be F2.8 or better
3) must have auto focus
4) must have thread to put filter
5) not fisheye

Thanks

Based on my knowledge, i think v difficult to find a lens that fit ur requirements.

Samyang 12mm fisheye - failed: fisheye, no autofocus, cannot put filter.
Samyang 14mm - failed: no autofocus, cannot put filter.
Nikon 14-24mm - failed: Cost more than $1,500, cannot put filter.
Nikon 16-35mm - failed: not f2.8 & better.
Nikon 18-35mm - failed: not f2.8 & better.
Tamron 15-30mm - failed: Cost more than $1,500, cannot put filter.
Sigma 12-24mm - failed: not f2.8 & better, cannot put filter.
Tokina 16-28mm - failed: cannot put filter.
Tokina 17-35mm - failed: not f2.8 & better.

Think the best bet will be Nikon 20mm f1.8 which will fit all your requirements.