Lens to use for landscape

Use the tool that you need in that moment and which you are able to operate. If you know how to read a scene you can safely use spot metering. Nothing about 'advanced users only'. But the Evaluative / Matrix metering is quite good and will do a good job for you. Use it for now and focus on other aspects first (e.g. composition, focus). Once you find that the Evaluative metering doesn't give you the results you want you can start going into that topic. Easiest way could be using Exposure Compensation to shift the result of Evaluative metering (+/- EV). Experiment with the other modes, use whatever gives you the results you want.

:thumbsup:Good advice here. What is important at the end of the day is to achieve what you want in the simplest way possible. Don't give yourself unnecessary headache t/s.:bsmilie:

Well maybe not everyone is gifted like you are.:bsmilie:

I am not gifted. I started out taking very very crappy pics.

as mentioned second time. at this stage i dun think TS is ready to use spot metering.

Anyone is ready to use spot metering. As soon as they understand what it does, they are ready. And to understand it, it is as simple as reading a manual or an article online. It is not that hard really. Ain't rocket science.

Shucks...I kerna poison by your nice pics. Hmm...who don't want their kit lens and 3.5 years old entry level camera and $50 tripod can give me. No filters also never mind. :bsmilie:

Bro, it is not that hard.

When you get the chance to join one of our outings, I will show you how its done.

And you already have the same stuff used to take this pics...

D40x (you have D60 also... but might as well bring your D700 LOL)
18-55 non-VR (VR version works too).
$50 tripod (can be replaced with any tripod more expensive).

Important thing is, pray for good weather and nice clouds.... ;)

Shucks...I kerna poison by your nice pics. Hmm...who don't want their kit lens and 3.5 years old entry level camera and $50 tripod can give me. No filters also never mind. :bsmilie:
But it's interesting to see the shift in the topic. From an initial dissatisfaction with a lens we get to metering modes and printing.

But it's interesting to see the shift in the topic. From an initial dissatisfaction with a lens we get to metering modes and printing.

well....

what to do?

:bsmilie:

but as long as it helps the TS. nevermind la.

Anyone is ready to use spot metering. As soon as they understand what it does, they are ready. And to understand it, it is as simple as reading a manual or an article online. It is not that hard really. Ain't rocket science.

yes its not rocket science.

but reading is easy but to put what you read to practical may not be for some.

there is a few types of ppl

1. Full of theories but comes to practical - CMI
2. There is some will sleep when comes to theory but wake up when comes to practical - Myself
3. There is some who can read/study and put everything to use almost immediately - Not many

and some many others but above is common ones.

we must understand the existence of all these type of ppl and do not expect much from all cos not all is the same.

so it always pays to learn from the basic then to move on to tougher steps.

to me, basic level is always evaluative metering that's why by default all cam comes with this setting. Followed by the traditional center metering. A more advance level comes to spot metering when you used it only when you need to and not all the shots.

Last edited:
well....
what to do?
I don't mind at all :) It rather shows common misunderstanding "kit lens is not good". The more important message here is that there are many reason why a picture is not up to expectations. We might have spoiled the business for a camera shop in favour of a book shop :bsmilie:

I don't mind at all :) It rather shows common misunderstanding "kit lens is not good". The more important message here is that there are many reason why a picture is not up to expectations. We might have spoiled the business for a camera shop in favour of a book shop :bsmilie:

Don't worry about cam shops. The lust for gear will always be around. :bsmilie:

yes its not rocket science.

but reading is easy but to put what you read to practical may not be for some.

there is a few types of ppl

1. Full of theories but comes to practical - CMI
2. There is some will sleep when comes to theory but wake up when comes to practical - Myself
3. There is some who can read/study and put everything to use almost immediately - Not many

and some many others but above is common ones.

we must understand the existence of all these type of ppl and do not expect much from all cos not all is the same.

so it always pays to learn from the basic then to move on to tougher steps.

to me, basic level is always evaluative metering that's why by default all cam comes with this setting. Followed by the traditional center metering. A more advance level comes to spot metering when you used it only when you need to and not all the shots.

For the benefit of everyone here, can you please explain what is the difference between center spot metering and spot metering in Canon context (for camera bodies 5dm2 and below)?

IMHO spot metering is a concept that can be explained in 1 min. And something that can be explained in 1 min can be applied in the next.

Last edited:

well....

what to do?

That's the beauty of this crazy bunch. Always lively and exciting. I feel like as if I knew you all since we were toddlers. Haha... Looking forward to meeting you all in person. :cool:

That's the beauty of this crazy bunch. Always lively and exciting. I feel like as if I knew you all since we were toddlers. Haha... Looking forward to meeting you all in person. :cool:

Be careful bro... we are even crazier in person... really. :eek:

u shld join us this sat...

Be careful bro... we are even crazier in person... really. :eek:

hahahhaa.. cant deny that...:bsmilie:

For the benefit of everyone here, can you please explain what is the difference between center spot metering and spot metering in Canon context (for camera bodies 5dm2 and below)?

IMHO spot metering is a concept that can be explained in 1 min. And something that can be explained in 1 min can be applied in the next.

if u even bothered to read what i post.

some ppl can read and understand but cannot apply practically (just like a Masters student, he may hold a Masters degree but doesn't mean he can work well). TS could be one of this type of ppl. And hence his bad photos could be due to his wrong misinterpretation of what he understood theoretically.

While i am the opposite, i am bored with theories, i prefer to learn the hard way by doing practical. That's how i pick up all these since last year when i first touch DSLR. I picked up a DSLR without knowing whats aperture, shutter aperture, exposure, metering and stuffs like that. All are trial and errors.

and friends who know me will know that, i dun have any idols over famous photographers, tell me any famous photographers, likely i dun know them or even seen their works. what adam ansler etc, i dun care a hoot. they are they, i am me. haha

like i mention i am comfortable with my center metering. And spot metering sounds too challenging for me to explore at this point of time. So if you asked me honestly, no i dun know anything about spot metering cos i dun use it.

Last edited:
if u even bothered to read what i post.

some ppl can read and understand but cannot apply practically. TS could be one of this type of ppl.

like i mention i am comfortable with my center metering. And spot metering sounds too challenging for me to explore at this point of time. So if you asked me honestly, no i dun know about spot metering cos i dun use it.

Keyword is "could be". What makes you or me or anyone so sure he can't? Ain't my place or yours to make that judgement call. Maybe he just needs someone to explain it to him.. and he is off to shoot wonderful pictures. Maybe if I explain it to you, you would be able to do it with ease too.

Canon camera bodies 5dm2 and below all takes spot meter reading from the center spot only. So how is that different from center spot metering?

Spot metering is no big deal. Basically it measures the correct exposure for that one spot. It is as simple as that. So in landscape pictures, you can spot meter on the spot you want your exposure to be spot on (for example, your point of interest) and fire off. The entire exposure will geared for that spot. In Canon's case (except for 1D series), that is the small spot in the center of the frame.

Keyword is "could be". What makes you or me or anyone so sure he can't? Ain't my place or yours to make that judgement call. Maybe he just needs someone to explain it to him.. and he is off to shoot wonderful pictures. Maybe if I explain it to you, you would be able to do it with ease too.

Canon camera bodies 5dm2 and below all takes spot meter reading from the center spot only. So how is that different from center spot metering?

Spot metering is no big deal. Basically it measures the correct exposure for that one spot. It is as simple as that. So in landscape pictures, you can spot meter on the spot you want your exposure to be spot on (for example, your point of interest) and fire off. The entire exposure will geared for that spot. In Canon's case (except for 1D series), that is the small spot in the center of the frame.

ok dun laff if what i am going to type sounds silly.

since exposure is taken from the spot only. it will means higher chance of underexposure or underexposure right?

so if TS is doing it wrongly and think its the cam or lens or both that creates it then start blaming it. isn't that a possibility?

so if that is the case, am i not right to ask him to start with the basic evaluative or center metering (there is still some difference btw center and spot right? if same why have two in the first place) and when he understand better then use spot? cos u can't be using spot 24/7 x 365 days always.

The more complex use of spot involves taking 2 readings. At different parts of the frame lighted different. For example, a dark foreground, and a bight sunrise sky. This will give you an idea of how much different in exposures they are. This difference will give you an idea to gauge what kind of GND to use, to try to bring the exposures closer together (within a 2 stop range). How hard is it to do that? point the meter point at the bright part, remember the values, then point the meter point at the dark part and remember the values. Compare the 2 values in your head... If you fixed the aperture, you only need to compare the shutter speeds. How hard is that?

ok dun laff if what i am going to type sounds silly.

since exposure is taken from the spot only. it will means higher chance of underexposure or underexposure right?

so if TS is doing it wrongly and think its the cam or lens or both that creates it then start blaming it. isn't that a possibility?

so if that is the case, am i not right to ask him to start with the basic evaluative or center metering (there is still some difference btw center and spot right? if same why have two in the first place) and when he understand better then use spot? cos u can't be using spot 24/7 x 365 days always.

No. because exposure of that one spot is correct and every area with the same light levels as that one spot will be correct. and if you select spot metering, you intend to get only one spot in the correct exposure.

The more complex use of spot involves taking 2 readings. At different parts of the frame lighted different. For example, a dark foreground, and a bight sunrise sky. This will give you an idea of how much different in exposures they are. This difference will give you an idea to gauge what kind of GND to use, to try to bring the exposures closer together (within a 2 stop range). How hard is it to do that? point the meter point at the bright part, remember the values, then point the meter point at the dark part and remember the values. Compare the 2 values in your head... If you fixed the aperture, you only need to compare the shutter speeds. How hard is that?

This may sounds easy now for you. But TS might be doing differently.

Anyway till now TS never post any photos so we do not really know what actually went wrong and why he thinks it's his equipment problem.

This may sounds easy now for you. But TS might be doing differently.

Anyway till now TS never post any photos so we do not really know what actually went wrong and why he thinks it's his equipment problem.

Keyword is MIGHT. You don't know for sure. And the fact we have not seen any photos mean we don't know also.

And... if you tell people they cannot try something because they are not ready, what are you really saying? I will say it differently... try it, try as many things as possible. if you fail, read up on why and try again... This is called the learning process.

People who do not try... are people who will not improve.

Go on... try something different for a change. You might like the feeling of taking a chance.

And btw, I hope you realize shooting more pictures in digital is free. Just in case you missed that part. ;)

Last edited: