Lens to use for landscape

Thanks,. I impressed with the shots - picture composition plays a very vital part. What I am trying to find out is if you zoom in lets say 500% it gets noisier. how to reduce that, if I want to blow out to make photo frame of S12R 12" × 18", it would be grainy with noise.. the quality of the image is not well achieved.:(

Even at my lowest setting for JPEG in my camera the image is already 14" x 9" at 300 dpi. If I drop the dpi to 200, I will already get 21" by 14". Print quality at 200 dpi is still very good FYI. And this is at JPEG(basic).

So, I do not understand why you need to zoom to 500% :dunno:

Noise do not increase when you zoom in. The noise just gets larger.

Are you one of those people that just snap without thought, then try to make it look nice by doing extreme cropping? :dunno:

Thanks,. I impressed with the shots - picture composition plays a very vital part. What I am trying to find out is if you zoom in lets say 500% it gets noisier. how to reduce that, if I want to blow out to make photo frame of S12R 12" × 18", it would be grainy with noise.. the quality of the image is not well achieved.:(

Oh boy, please do some basic research on print sizes and minimum resolution. Or at least ask a clear question about what you actually want to do. I hope you see how we came from your initial complain about a lens to the actual problem related to printing and screen viewing. Secondly: viewing something at 500% zoom on a screen is different from viewing your intended print size. Hint: it's the distance of the viewer. 500% will never appear sharp on screen or close viewing distance, 100% is what the sensor has captured.

yes.. I put ISO to 100 during the day, chose spot metering to get to the correct setting of DOF & SHSP. then focus, then take the shots... but I am still getting the noise when I zoom in / crop.

why are u even using spot metering for landscape shoot? :sweat:

unless u are an expert in reading exposures correctly, i wun advise u to use this metering but to stick to evaluative or center metering instead.

even myself, since shooting with DSLR last year, i initially started off with evaluative metering, till a few months later switched to center metering and till now i am still using center metering. Cos my reading at exposures still not yet there yet for me to try out spot metering.

i find newbies very funny. they haven know the basics they want to try the advance (eg HDR).

learn how to walk before you fly or jump k?

Last edited:
No,. what I wanted to say was the Kit lens is rather good for taking portraits.. than landscapes. When I crop the photo/ zoom in landscape shots for detail - I dont see a good image quality, its grainy.

grainy is not the lens problem liao....... understand yr camera first. give you $10000 lens, the pic will have grainy if you duno how to adjust yr cam settings....

anyway, nobody zoom in 500% to see pic.... you trying to see ants in your pics?

i dun own Canon cam, but i can tell you that yr lens is already more than good enough to take landscape or any other shots. dont get swayed by ppl telling u to get whatever WA lens.... at your level, its bullshit...

practice practice practice

take RAW format shoots if you can.

:nono:

Last edited:

unless u are an expert in reading exposures correctly, i wun advise u to use this metering but to stick to evaluative or center metering instead.

even myself, since shooting with DSLR last year, i initially started off with evaluative metering, till a few months later switched to center metering and till now i am still using center metering. Cos my reading at exposures still not yet there yet for me to try out spot metering.

i find newbies very funny. they haven know the basics they want to try the advance (eg HDR).

Spot metering is very useful in landscape shoot.

But the key to using spot metering is to know where exactly to meter... ;)

Please go and learn about the basics first.. i can't believe you are using spot metering to shoot landscape for a newbie. Don't stick to one strict settings for shooting to make yourself look or sound like a pro and 7D images are noisy? At 500% zoom in a photo editing software, which image wouldn't show noise? Stick to the kit lens and learn to read more.:)

i dont even dare to buy any other lens, though i used my cam for 1 year already... brought to overseas shootings many times and local shoots. Still using kit lens coz there is so much to learn.......

kits lens can do wonders. I dont even dare to have a prime lens!

Please go and learn about the basics first.. i can't believe you are using spot metering to shoot landscape for a newbie. Don't stick to one strict settings for shooting to make yourself look or sound like a pro and 7D images are noisy? At 500% zoom in a photo editing software, which image wouldn't show noise? Stick to the kit lens and learn to read more.:)

Nothing wrong with using spot metering as a newbie.

I used spot metering when I first started in landscape as well.

nothing wrong. but something wrong with TS and obviously he is not there yet to even attempt to use spot metering haha

see what happens now when he starts to blame on the equipment.

so i think he should still stick to evaluative or center metering till he is more ready to use spot metering at least he makes lesser mistakes.

Kit lens not good enough?

All shot with an 3.5 years old entry level camera with a 18-55 Kit lens mounted on a 8 years old $50 tripod with no filters.

Focusing on your skills will go a much much longer way in making good pictures than focusing on equipment.

You do not need a UWA, a gitzo, B+W filters, or Markins ballhead to make good pictures...

And O-boy... Cokin and Tianya filters suck.

Shucks...I kerna poison by your nice pics. Hmm...who don't want their kit lens and 3.5 years old entry level camera and $50 tripod can give me. No filters also never mind. :bsmilie:

Oh boy, please do some basic research on print sizes and minimum resolution. Or at least ask a clear question about what you actually want to do. I hope you see how we came from your initial complain about a lens to the actual problem related to printing and screen viewing. Secondly: viewing something at 500% zoom on a screen is different from viewing your intended print size. Hint: it's the distance of the viewer. 500% will never appear sharp on screen or close viewing distance, 100% is what the sensor has captured.

Guys...slow down a bit!!! I think TS is overwhelmed with information overload. CPU cannot compute. TS answers are no longer coherent. Let him digest a bit and then he can spring back... :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

nothing wrong. but something wrong with TS and obviously he is not there yet to even attempt to use spot metering haha

see what happens now when he starts to blame on the equipment.

so i think he should still stick to evaluative or center metering till he is more ready to use spot metering at least he makes lesser mistakes.

S79...lets invite TS for a spin when we go sun chasing. Give him some pointers to start off. Then...only then will he see what we see. The blue pill or the red pill? His choice? :cool:

S79...lets invite TS for a spin when we go sun chasing. Give him some pointers to start off. Then...only then will he see what we see. The blue pill or the red pill? His choice? :cool:

Hi Guys... thank you very much.. I would love to join with people with similar interest, to go for photoshooting.. infact, I was searching for a group.:)
:)

Guys...slow down a bit!!! I think TS is overwhelmed with information overload. CPU cannot compute. TS answers are no longer coherent. Let him digest a bit and then he can spring back... :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

I cant really understand what is so difficult between spot metering/Centre weighted/Evaluative metering... why you guys consider Spot metering for advance users. probably you can teach me more.. when you guys going for a shoot.. I can join you all.

Last edited:
there are tons of outings in this forum... sunrise, sunset, landscape, birding, etc etc ........ go search for them

Dear TS, A 500% zoom will produce a grainy image, even with a 7D. This is not noise. Better go read up.

For that, TS needs to go at least medium format lor... Mamiya or Hasselblad... may be he looking for large format also... I suggest he talk to NASA...

I cant really understand what is so difficult between spot metering/Centre weighted/Evaluative metering... why you guys consider Spot metering for advance users. probably you can teach me more.. when you guys going for a shoot.. I can join you all.

u can post some photos taken with spot metering then the pros here will tell you if you are doing right.

read the differences between each metering does and you will know why i say spot metering is more for advance users who is already good in reading exposures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metering_mode

and chances that you messed up your photo cos of using this metering mode wrongly.

Last edited:
Isn't spot metering useful in landscape for finding out how wide the dynamic range is?

Use the tool that you need in that moment and which you are able to operate. If you know how to read a scene you can safely use spot metering. Nothing about 'advanced users only'. But the Evaluative / Matrix metering is quite good and will do a good job for you. Use it for now and focus on other aspects first (e.g. composition, focus). Once you find that the Evaluative metering doesn't give you the results you want you can start going into that topic. Easiest way could be using Exposure Compensation to shift the result of Evaluative metering (+/- EV). Experiment with the other modes, use whatever gives you the results you want.

Well maybe not everyone is gifted like you are.:bsmilie: