LCD monitors with only 18-bit colour

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Samsung 173T was an anomaly. A premium LCD monitor being sold as a consumer, mass-market price. Grab one if you can find one used. I have two LCDs, including the 173T, and the difference in quality is very obvious.

I know I'm coming late to the party, but a few of us have been discussing this over a particular Samsung panel. Have any of you any information to shed some light on this?

O.

Opmek said:
I know I'm coming late to the party, but a few of us have been discussing this over a particular Samsung panel. Have any of you any information to shed some light on this?

O.

there's another thread around clubsnap describing how Samsungs with identical model numbers but from different countries look different because the base is different - the different base seems to suggest that the monitors may have come from different factories/production lines? Not sure if it applies specifically to 173P tho'.

Our local understanding is that the local P series are all 18-bit panels as it is a lower end model.

Another way to determine (which may become outdated soon) is that 24-bit panels have a SLOW response time. Haven't seen any faster than 25 ms. So if you have a monitor with advertised 16-20 ms response time, its probably 18-bit.

the Australian site is the most interesting, it implies that Samsung LCD panels come from both Korea and China - your speces may vary accordingly:

http://www.samsung.com/au/products/monitors/tft/910t.asp?page=Specifications

Not sure about others, came across the Sharp LL-T19D1-B last week at Funan. They have some promotion now. Price $769 and they give away $80 NTUC voucher. Effectively paid $689.

If you are not going to watch movie and play games than this is OK because 25ms response. Spec 19" LCD panel, 24 bit (16.77million / 8bit), 300 cd/m2, 700:1 contrast, comes with 2 analog and 1 DVI input (can switch), 50000 back light lifetime, 3 years warrenty (1st yesr on site), build in power supply, height adjustments, compatible with sRGB, ICC profile colour management.

Dennis said:
Not sure about others, came across the Sharp LL-T19D1-B last week at Funan. They have some promotion now. Price $769 and they give away $80 NTUC voucher. Effectively paid $689.

If you are not going to watch movie and play games than this is OK because 25ms response. Spec 19" LCD panel, 24 bit (16.77million / 8bit), 300 cd/m2, 700:1 contrast, comes with 2 analog and 1 DVI input (can switch), 50000 back light lifetime, 3 years warrenty (1st yesr on site), build in power supply, height adjustments, compatible with sRGB, ICC profile colour management.

thats the one ckiang got and i've been eyeing... unfortunately my CRT monitor still going strong so cannot justify but price getting better and better... until they clear stock (model not listed on the website anymore).

The Dell 2001FP is a 24 bit panel from LG-Philips (based on anandtech and my check on the LG-Philips site). It is 16 ms.

erwinx said:
there's another thread around clubsnap describing how Samsungs with identical model numbers but from different countries look different because the base is different - the different base seems to suggest that the monitors may have come from different factories/production lines? Not sure if it applies specifically to 173P tho'.

Our local understanding is that the local P series are all 18-bit panels as it is a lower end model.

Another way to determine (which may become outdated soon) is that 24-bit panels have a SLOW response time. Haven't seen any faster than 25 ms. So if you have a monitor with advertised 16-20 ms response time, its probably 18-bit.

the Australian site is the most interesting, it implies that Samsung LCD panels come from both Korea and China - your speces may vary accordingly:

http://www.samsung.com/au/products/monitors/tft/910t.asp?page=Specifications

The 173P and 193P are high end models in the U.S., with aluminum bases, 'iPod' styling, a touch sensitive on/off button that beeps when powering up or down, and gorgeous panels in a housing less than an inch thick. 173P, 25ms. 193P, 20ms.

I do not care for any of the fast response time panels, 12ms or less, as the viewing angles are terrible and the color is also ran.

O.

I'm currently using a DELL 1704 FPT panel. This is one panel where even slight underexposure of the skin tone will really cause it to look real bad. I'm suspecting it's due to the dithering. In contrast, the LCD panel on my Thinkpad R31 renders the skin perfectly. I believe the 1704 FPT also falls into the 18 bit color category. Although I intend to run more tests to determine if that is the case. Will keep you all posted..:)

Note there's 2 variants of this monitor, one from Samsung and another from Lite-On. Mine is from Lite-On..I am not sure if the Samsung version performs better or not.

How do u tell it is lite-on ? Is there a tag? I had a look at mine and couldn't find.

perror said:
I'm currently using a DELL 1704 FPT panel. This is one panel where even slight underexposure of the skin tone will really cause it to look real bad. I'm suspecting it's due to the dithering. In contrast, the LCD panel on my Thinkpad R31 renders the skin perfectly. I believe the 1704 FPT also falls into the 18 bit color category. Although I intend to run more tests to determine if that is the case. Will keep you all posted..:)

Note there's 2 variants of this monitor, one from Samsung and another from Lite-On. Mine is from Lite-On..I am not sure if the Samsung version performs better or not.

At the rear of the unit or on the box it was shipped in. If it is written there 1704FPTt then it's from Lite On. If it is 1704FPTs then it's made by Samsung. Also, units made in China typically are from Lite-On while the units made in Seremban, Malaysia is from Samsung.

Okie so some LCDs displays are 18 bit and some is 24 bit. So how about iBook and PB display? Are they 18 or 24 or 32 bit? Just curious to find out as well.

any other recommendations for 17 - 19 inch LCDs? Viewsonic?

Samsung 910T ... heehee.. 19" shiooooooooooooooooooooooook ah!

Dennis said:

How about for Video Editing? Would 25ms be okay?

been checking on the Sharp T19D1, some literature says 16.1 mil colours, some say 16.7 mil colours. Which is the correct one? The Sharp Singapore website down, so cant check, UK one also, Msia's dun have 19inch LCD. Anyone?

Saw the Viewsonic VX 912.. the colours look good, and fast response, except that is 16 mil colours.

Looking to hook it to a Mac.

Any advice?

IT Show having the samsung 913n at 659. is it a good one ?

loupgarou said:
IT Show having the samsung 913n at 659. is it a good one ?

It's a 18 bit monitor without DVI, but I guess it's rather cheap for that price point.

Just to ask, does the 18bit vs 24bit color difference make a discernable difference? It's really hard to find a true 24bit colour panel these days (except for some brands).

I am getting a cheap cheap 17" Philips now, $225, save the money till I can get a 20" LCD at 1600x1200 aspect ratio.

i see, in that case no point.. I'm using a phillips 170C. is it 18 bit too.?

Status
Not open for further replies.