Laptop link to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by imaginary_number
Well, it is a great solution if u need the convenience and want to avoid to hassle of lining the wires neatly.

A brand new wireless ADSL/Cable router should cost ~$200+.

If you're on a tight budget, there's a new product by linksys (~$115) - a router with a PC Card expansion slot (for inserting an 802.11b card). It basically has 4 ports for wired lan connections and should you require wireless solutions, just plug in an 802.11b PC Card.

Btw, the wireless LAN card is going for $58 now (deluxe HWZ members).

Sounds like a plan! :)

Originally posted by longman
crossover cable is the cheapest way, u wan i can make one cable for u...FOC ...:p
what u need is buy one RJ45 conenctor cost less than$1..thats all.....

Serious ah? :) Thats nice of you mate. Now, where can i buy the RJ 45 connector? Or if it isn't too much trouble, you help me get, i most definately pay you back... hehhe

And next BCM/drink @ SEED on me. I insist! :D

Originally posted by Wolfgang
Serious ah? :) Thats nice of you mate. Now, where can i buy the RJ 45 connector? Or if it isn't too much trouble, you help me get, i most definately pay you back... hehhe

And next BCM/drink @ SEED on me. I insist! :D
no problem, how long u need?

ok...let me check i still have 3 meter cable anot 1st...if not slightly short no problem ahh...

there's a new product by linksys (~$115) - a router with a PC Card expansion slot (for inserting an 802.11b card).

Get the router so that you can surf with both consoles.

Originally posted by longman
ok...let me check i still have 3 meter cable anot 1st...if not slightly short no problem ahh...

Aiyoh.. sorry to trouble you. :)

But seriously.. if you have 1- 1.5 meter should be ok, since i am using it to only transfers data and i don't have to place them too far apart. :)

dun bother with USB / parallel cables...tried it and it took one whole day to transfer 200MB of files.

since your laptop and PC already got LAN cards....just get cross cable to connect them to transfer file....or buy a cheap switch/router to share internet on both machine + able to transfer files at the same time too

now router can cost less than $100 (used to cost $300-400 last time)....very good investment if you are going to have more than one PC at home sharing SCV connection.

4 ports router should be more than enough for you

Hi all,

Since we are on routers, I am using the Linksys 4 port router with 2 PCs. Lately, I add a lap top to my network. The problem is, On its own, the lap top can connect to the network. But, when I turn all 3 of them on, only 2 can access the network at any 1 time. :(

Did I miss something?

Many thanks.

Ming Huei

hmmm...where did i heard abt this problem b4....i think is bluestrike?

sounds like IP conflict....are all the PC/laptop get their IP from DHCP server or static IP?

Hi Wai,

I really don't know :embrass:

I am not really good with PC stuff. All I know is that I used the "Obtain the IP address automatically" option. Will that be enough to determine the problem?

Ming Huei

Originally posted by Wai
dun bother with USB / parallel cables...tried it and it took one whole day to transfer 200MB of files.

since your laptop and PC already got LAN cards....just get cross cable to connect them to transfer file....or buy a cheap switch/router to share internet on both machine + able to transfer files at the same time too

now router can cost less than $100 (used to cost $300-400 last time)....very good investment if you are going to have more than one PC at home sharing SCV connection.

4 ports router should be more than enough for you

Router that cost less than $100?

Where? :dunno:

Originally posted by mig37
Hi Wai,

I really don't know :embrass:

I am not really good with PC stuff. All I know is that I used the "Obtain the IP address automatically" option. Will that be enough to determine the problem?

Ming Huei
hehhahaa,,,,..
we got the same pro dude!
hehhehheahhaaa
I use Static IP tho and it happen when I plug into the other socket....

Originally posted by Wolfgang
Router that cost less than $100?

Where? :dunno:

computer show lor...some unknown brands were selling very very cheap there

but since router is a long term investment...better paid a few dollar more for more popular one like USR, Linksys....etc. (there are even better one of cos, but the price is out of consumer's budget)

walk around sim lim to find lor.....but i know somewhere in sim lim selling Linksys 4 ports router for $103

Originally posted by Wai
computer show lor...some unknown brands were selling very very cheap there

but since router is a long term investment...better paid a few dollar more for more popular one like USR, Linksys....etc. (there are even better one of cos, but the price is out of consumer's budget)

walk around sim lim to find lor.....but i know somewhere in sim lim selling Linksys 4 ports router for $103

I see... what about wireless routers? :dunno: How much would that cost?

Originally posted by imaginary_number

Btw, the wireless LAN card is going for $58 now (deluxe HWZ members).

WHY GET the SMC ONE? :thumbsd:

I just bought my Intel Wireless PC card (better than SMC) for $57

walk around sim lim and u can find already....no need deluxe members all these ****

Status
Not open for further replies.