Kwanhan: A Photo A Week (or more) 2010

kwanhan

Aug 17, 2009
Redhill
Tried to start a thread at the end of 2009 with a few days to go...and realized the date and how pointless it was LOL... so here I am again.

Will post at least a photo a week, maybe more if I get to shoot anything worth posting.

15th January 2010

Ah Ma's Paper Aquarium

DSC_0034editsmall.jpg

My Ah Ma doesn't like her photos getting taken so this was done literally behind her back... good thing she couldn't hear my shutter LOL. Wanted to capture the perspective of a curious eye and its approach towards the private, insular world of her handicraft.

19th January 2010, Tuesday

Pensive Cat

DSC_0008small.jpg

Really beautiful pet cat I found in the neighbourhood when I was walking home. Large greenish & orange eyes and a really long groomed fluffy tail. Didn't manage to get its attention for a direct shot to flaunt its beautiful eyes.

(Btw I'm curious, how do most of you take your cat photos in order to have it at their eye level? Just hold the camera approximately? Lie down?)

Clearing recent backlog till I have something new to show!

All C&C welcome :)

24th January 2010, Sunday

Let sleeping cats lie

DSC_0057small.jpg

Saw a pair of sleeping cats... and this is what I got... lesson 101 learnt in approaching cats quietly .... and that different cats have got different safety distances they keep with you. :bsmilie:

25th January 2010, Monday

Dying Minutes

DSC_0167small2.jpg

Off the vivo rooftop yesterday. Handheld.

So much to learn with regards to landscape.. don't own a tripod or any filters. But I guess this is a lesson in composition and framing- I feel that this shot is suffocating... hopefully I'll get better and this will serve as a reminder from where I started.

Also photobucket seems to have muted my colours and overall dulled the photo. :(

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
26 January 2010, Tuesday

Visions of Chinatown

DSC_0192small.jpg

The composition to most would probably be considered cluttered, but I like the colours and how this candid shot turned out (with the little girl running right in the middle of the image)

I guess the fact is, the street IS cluttered, but something about the winding overhead trail of lanterns intrigues me.

31st January 2010, Sunday

for the simple things

DSC_0274small.jpg

5th February 2010, Friday

March

DSC_0052small.jpg

pardon the last image with the distortion. i know the hands of the girl were huge.

C&C for this B/W?

Should I have less grey tones?

Your Ah ma paper aquarium has a nice title!

I wished the fishes werent cropped off though but nice photos thus far. Keep at it!

thanks!

i'll take note of cropping next time

really appreciate the encouragement as I admire your work :)

thanks!

i'll take note of cropping next time

really appreciate the encouragement as I admire your work :)

Don't worry bout it. You'll start noticing the little things the more you shoot.

Thanks for the admiration! I'm still very green to photography though so.. still learnin. =)

7th February 2010, Sunday

Dream's end

CSC_0318small.jpg

Shot at ISO 3200 handheld, so details are lost, making it look smudgy and more like a painting, soften effect done in-camera as well.

Caught my eye because the road leading up and the whole edifice just looks so dystopian. I like how the construction shed in the streetlight (in my imagination it's a slum) meets the IR buildings.

At first I wanted to name this "City 17" after the setting for the Half Life 2 game. :bsmilie:

8th February 2010, Monday

Invitations and Crossings

DSC_0332small.jpg

disentanglement of arms raised
reaching arching spreading spilt
into air over river invitation
to unknot the urban heart

Last edited:
13th February 2010, Saturday

Chosen

DSC_0023small.jpg

14th February 2010, Sunday

DSC_0181small.jpg

3 March 2010, Tuesday

A breath between

DSC_0028edit2small.jpg

Sorry haven't had much time! Took this hastily outside of class with my trusty 50 1.4 AI (so focusing wasn't perfect and DOF wasn't perfect...think this is at f4) before running off. Always wanted to shoot this spider lily for its life and for its decay.

Last edited:
14 March 2010, Sunday

DSC_0373editsmall.jpg

it was nice how the ships were blurring in the sheets of rain

the more i look at the image the more i'm thinking it should be brighter, slightly over-exposed instead to better achieve the mood... hmm

so here it is:

DSC_0373editsmall3.jpg

is this an improvement?

Last edited:
16 March 2010, Tuesday

DSC_0054editsmall.jpg

Getting inspired to do poetry together with photography by my current module, Literature & the other arts

Taken from 62nd floor of Swissotel.

I admit the last shot could have more effort to get the horizon, the beach front & the bench to be straight in alignment... but it was pouring and I was under a very squeezy shelter.

But I did try to straighten this shot in the Camera RAW program. Not sure if it is entirely straight though.