kena bbb poison but not progressing

Hi blackwire, time to go out and shoot and have some fun!
Thats where the real lasting fun part of the hobby begins

Ryan

it started when my gf wanna start up a blogshop and want to take studio shoot. The studio will need a DSLR camera horseshoe to activated the flash, not very sure whether to get a 600D or 7D. Shop advise to get 600D as it serve my purpose. So get a 600D with a 50mm f1.8 a month back and that's where the poisoning starts.

Do you really require a 7D/FF or L lens to do a studio blogshop shoot when you are most likely stopping down your lenses?

The following test shot was taken using a focal length (50mm) at an aperture of F13, ISO 200 using a KIT LENS on a 450D

165374_10150090655883556_576318555_6015965_2266819_n.jpg

Do you really require a 7D/FF or L lens to do a studio blogshop shoot when you are most likely stopping down your lenses?
The following test shot was taken using a focal length (50mm) at an aperture of F13, ISO 200 using a KIT LENS on a 450D
You replace one addiction with another... gear vs. xmm ..:bsmilie:

yup, the more time TS spend on shooting, the faster he will pick up the skill. Best is to go shooting with experts who will drop tips and hints here and there.

If just read up, go course and never go outside and practice, it is hard to improve.

I wish I has the spending power of TS, spend so much money within 1 month.

In fact, I feel there is no point of keeping the 7D since TS is focus on studio shoot.

I will just keep the prime lens F1.8 and get a f1.4 (for product shooting)

I wonder why TS go and buy 10-22 mm?

Actually I know quite a few people who spent quite a bit more than TS in these couple of months... :hung::hung::bigeyes::bigeyes:

You replace one addiction with another... gear vs. xmm ..:bsmilie:

Huh? Dun understand the connection leh?? :dunno:

What I want to say is... The equipment is only as good as it's wielder, my advise for the TS is to use what he had on hand first before purchasing new toys.;p

Hi people,

i have kena BBB poisoning but my skills is not improving. Pls kindly advise on how i can proceed on and up my skill.

it started when my gf wanna start up a blogshop and want to take studio shoot. The studio will need a DSLR camera horseshoe to activated the flash, not very sure whether to get a 600D or 7D. Shop advise to get 600D as it serve my purpose. So get a 600D with a 50mm f1.8 a month back and that's where the poisoning starts.

i read up the forum and get to understand the ISO, Aperture and Shutter and have been playing around with manual setting.

I also do understand that Canon lens are good especially those L lens and that their resale values does not drop much, hence, i went into buying and buying.

Here's what i acquire for the one month:

600D
50mm f1.8
18-55 from my frenz
Aipo Dry Cabinet
24-105
17-55
70-200
580EXII
10-22
7D
Gitzo Cremaillere 3 without the tripod head(dun noe which tripodhead to get for the tripod)

I went for the basic studio lighting course and did some reading to understand the shutter, aperture and ISO but i dun really know how to further improve my skills.

Pls kindly advise what should my steps be now and what i should do.

**Do note that i create this post to ask for advise, pls do not flame me.**

The Choice is Alright but Why not get a Full Frame 5D II as you are doing more Of Studio the Lens Choices are ok but i notice some Overlapping Of Lens Ranges like the

18-55 / 17-55 - which covers the 17-55 Range so get the 17-55 (to cut cost also also with a F2.8 would get a nice Bokeh) (Group Shots )

I suggest you x2 580s as one sided flash creates Shadows so a 2nd flash is to eliminate the shadow created by the first
(LightStand for it too with a small Reflector Umbrella for nice Soft Diffuse Light in Studio)
10-22 mm is a very creative lens at 10 mm which gives a bit Fisheye Look when shot very close (Portraits, Group Shots)

A Canon Macro Lens (100 MM .etc ) are Great if you are doing Close up Product shots like Rings , Badges , Bags(For Little Details)

Ya and lastly a Light Tent for Product Shots

And Shooting RAW At All times might help as it gives you much more control after you took the photo

Just comment you may want to Rent the equipment before you buy it

Last edited:
The Choice is Alright but Why not get a Full Frame 5D II as you are doing more Of Studio the Lens Choices are ok but i notice some Overlapping Of Lens Ranges like the

18-55 / 17-55 - which covers the 17-55 Range so get the 17-55 (to cut cost also also with a F2.8 would get a nice Bokeh) (Group Shots )

I suggest you x2 580s as one sided flash creates Shadows so a 2nd flash is to eliminate the shadow created by the first
(LightStand for it too with a small Reflector Umbrella for nice Soft Diffuse Light in Studio)
10-22 mm is a very creative lens at 10 mm which gives a bit Fisheye Look when shot very close (Portraits, Group Shots)

A Canon Macro Lens (100 MM .etc ) are Great if you are doing Close up Product shots like Rings , Badges , Bags(For Little Details)

Ya and lastly a Light Tent for Product Shots

And Shooting RAW At All times might help as it gives you much more control after you took the photo

Just comment you may want to Rent the equipment before you buy it

Concur. What TS needs are simple studio equipment, extra flash/triggers and remote shutter release. Can DIY some of the equipments. Dont add any more lenses for the time being. Just shoot, shoot and shoot some more..........

IMO, since u r into L lens, then get the 16-35 to your collection. Keep your 7D till the new 5D is out then reconsider switching to a Full frame.
Your list:
600D - sell
50mm f1.8 - keep for portrait unless u wanna upgrade to f1.2 or f1.4
18-55 from my frenz - sell
Aipo Dry Cabinet - keep
24-105 - keep a good general purpose lens
17-55 - sell
70-200 - keep
580EXII - keep
10-22 - keep for your 7D
7D - keep

Tripod head, you can go for markins, price is average. If u want a better one, buy from states the brand really right stuff, the mid range ballhead.
there are alot of courses out there to take, from basic to advanced as well as specific workshop. Canon, Pss, Knowledge bowl, Phocus, etc. Most workshop will teach u a trick here and there to improve *-*
Hope it helps. cheers

I disagree with this. 600D and 7D are quite far apart. In terms of image quality, yes they are quite the same, and in fact if you shoot RAW there should not be a difference in image quality.

However, the build quality and ergonomics of the 7D are far superior to the 600D. While build quality may not be an issue for amateur (read: not making a living out of photography, nothing to do with skill) photographers (also depends on how and where you shoot), ergonomics definitely make a lot of difference. The accessibility of functions you change in a camera on the 7D makes shooting a much better experience, regardless of what you shoot. You don't need to shoot fast paced events to take advantage of faster controls, for instance.

If I were you, TS, I would keep
-7D
-Canon 10-22
-Canon 17-55
-Canon 50mm f1.8
-Canon 70-200
-580 EX II
-Gitzo Cremaillere 3 (get a decent ballhead)

The rest sell away. This is a very good setup already. You may choose to keep the 600D if you want a backup body, or use it as a lighter setup (600D plus 50/1.8 is the lightest DSLR setup you can get with your current equipment). After a while, if you find that you don't use a certain lens much, either find ways to use it (look at photos online for inspiration), or sell it away. For portraits, any of your lens will do, depending on what kind of effects you want to achieve, and space constraints. Be flexible, even a 10-22 can be used for creative/fun portraits. A 70-200 can be too tight sometimes if your studio for the blogshop is too small.

well the difference for 600D and 7D, i think TS would not understand if you go too in depth.
yes i agree specs wise 7D is more superior to 600D. would he understand what you going to tell him? if he did, he would have not bought both.

thats why i made it simpler for him to understand, in terms of just being a crop and image quality should be somewhat similar.

anyway, i agree with you on which to keep.

i think TS has received his fair share of feedback and advise, ultimately we cld only give our opinions, the decision lies with him,

like the others say, keep shooting and practising,

with time u will get better, how long it depends on you, instant success never lasts.... its just be a fad...

so dude... time to hit the street so call to speak...

time to go to the L camp! (not the L lenses, the other one, with manual focus and rangefinder patch..)
go all the way! then open a museum!

joking...

go out and shoot, lor..
equipment so good must be used already!

TS, u r 1 month into this hobby, and u think u hit the wall? imo u got the gears, but have not started running yet.

look at other people pictures that u make u go wow, and try to achieve the same results with your current setup.

work on composition and other skill set. readup and practice PP. Makes a lot of difference.

A good photo does not pop out from good camera. there are a lot of factors that makes a pic goes wow. gears, composition, PP.

post some pics in forum and ask for critics.

Lastly, be patience. no matter how talented you are, there is still a need to practice. even beethoven needs to learn how to use the panio properly before he created the symphonies.

Thanks all for the replies.

I thought by buying all these lens, i could cover all the more usable range and then i would be able to know what kind of photography i can venture into before i let go of those lens that i would not need. Most of the lens i purchased are 2nd hand and i calculate that i should loss much if i let them go, thus my willingness to acquire these lens. I also feel these lens are more common and would be easy to let go.

The issue with having all the lens but not knowing what to shoot will caused me to carry all these equipments out(heavy) and i dun noe which lens to use for which location.

Yes, my next steps would be to purchase the books and go for courses. I would really need quite some time for me to read, practice and digest them. Think i really need time.

Thanks all for the replies.

I thought by buying all these lens, i could cover all the more usable range and then i would be able to know what kind of photography i can venture into before i let go of those lens that i would not need. Most of the lens i purchased are 2nd hand and i calculate that i should loss much if i let them go, thus my willingness to acquire these lens. I also feel these lens are more common and would be easy to let go.

The issue with having all the lens but not knowing what to shoot will caused me to carry all these equipments out(heavy) and i dun noe which lens to use for which location.

Yes, my next steps would be to purchase the books and go for courses. I would really need quite some time for me to read, practice and digest them. Think i really need time.

Yeah don't be in a hurry to 'master' photography. It's a very long journey. Nobody stops learning.
Just work at it diligently and you'll get there.

Have you posted any photos online for comments and critique?

Start by doing specific shoots in a single day to lighten your load. Do not leave home without a tripod though. I'll bring it out all the time, except macro photography..

There is no 'lens for a location'. No Beach Lens, no Mountain Lens, no Wedding Lens or Sunset Lens' ... lenses have specific characteristics for a purpose (field of view, depth of field due to aperture) that are used to create the image that you want. Sometimes subject isolation is needed, sometimes the entire scenery needs to be sharp etc ..
Exactly. Wipe out all words like 'efficiency', 'quick learning' or anything else of that meaning. It simply doesn't matter how much time you need .. have fun and create the image that you have in mind.

Try shooting with only 1 len and 1 body (for example, your 600D and 50mm) for 1 month, day, night and the type of photography that interests you... You WILL be frustrated but at the same time you will self discover what each len can or cannot do... Dont have to bring out all your gears. Have fun :)

Try shooting with only 1 len and 1 body (for example, your 600D and 50mm) for 1 month, day, night and the type of photography that interests you... You WILL be frustrated but at the same time you will self discover what each len can or cannot do... Dont have to bring out all your gears. Have fun :)

I don't believe in 'suffocating' yourself like this in order to learn photography. Not really practical.
You choose the tool (lens) to suit the requirement, not the outcome to suit the tool.

Just read up and try and experiment ... Asking here is not going to help, just look at some of the replies, got a few people recommending you to buy more already, because quite a lot of people are trapped in this mentality that you can throw money at a problem and solve it..

What you need to do is to put things into action, not just talk..

Last edited:
spree86 said:
Haha I believe that is called the exposure triangle, which is what ZCA is hinting you there

I heard there is a triangle of third thing that people are talking about now.. It is this smoking hot new theory.